Author Topic: PS2 Slim Not Powering On  (Read 565 times)

Offline pharaoh3Topic starter

• Contributor
PS2 Slim Not Powering On
« on: February 09, 2023, 07:37:46 pm »
I have a Silver PS2 Slim SCPH-79001 which has a different motherboard than most PS2 slims that I come across. When I got this PS2 it was having issues reading discs, so I started to diagnosis the disc drive. After messing around with the system for bit it suddenly stopped powering on. I didn't smell any burning or hear any noises.

• I checked the PSU, it is reading stable voltage and is powering on a different PS2.
  • The power LED glows on a different system. (removable part)
  • The power LED changed to 'green' on a different system after pressing the power button.
  • The solder/connections were refreshed on the USB ports, AV connectors, power connector, and the controller ports.
  • The fuse near the power connector is still intact.

I have almost no experience with motherboard level repair. I am checking shorted capacitors with my multimeter, but I don't think I am finding any.

Any tips or suggestions? I am determined to fix this and improve my skills! :-+

Tell me what to do!

My multimeter and PS2 board.
https://imgur.com/a/diZkE2B

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: PS2 Slim Not Powering On
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 11:10:33 pm »
So is the PSU an external brick ? IDK the PS voltages, but I'd guess whatever enters the PS, would power a bunch of lower voltage rails, like 5V, 3.3V, 2.5, 1.7, stuff like that for a bunch of chips.

I'd start at the input, and try and find the main power sections, there's probably a standby rail too. Go around and find big inductors, most of them would very near a controller chip, making some voltages rail. With any luck, at least the power controller chips, would be labelled and have public datasheets. I'd lookup as many chips as I could, and on the PCB's see which ones are getting power.

There'd be linear regulators too, like 3 terminal ones, like for analog and digital voltages rails, on stuff, it's common to see 5V made with a DC-DC SMPS, and another 5V rail from a linear regulator.

The rails should power up in a certain order too. PC motherboards and GPU's they just use a few AND gates and ENABLE pins and Power-Good pins on chips, to do that.

If you were lucky, the problem is just in the power sections. I'd find that a lot easier to track down that some digital problem.

Maybe it's just the switches/buttons are dirty too.

I'd recommend soldering on a few wires, it's super easy to touch the wrong thing with the probes, or have them slip. But I find even that is a nightmare on mobo's, I've damaged traces just trying to get test wires on there.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 11:32:29 pm by MathWizard »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf