Author Topic: identifying RTX 2080 Ti graphics card missing components  (Read 1631 times)

Offline newmasterTopic starter

• Contributor
identifying RTX 2080 Ti graphics card missing components
« on: July 10, 2020, 04:45:00 pm »
Hey, I took a huge risk, buying a broken MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

there are some PCIe decoupling caps missing, but also 2 components that I have been unable to identify yet. maybe somebody here can help me with it?

I attached a photo of a good board from the interwebs, marking the area of missing components and also a photo that marks the 2 mystery components.

one of them is most likely a resistor. it would be great if someone knows the value of it. otherwise the plan is to solder on a 20 turn potentiometer and try different values from high to low resistance. until it hopefully starts working.

but for the white component.. I have no idea what it could be. an inductor perhaps? or maybe just a LED? I can´t find better photos of this area of the card. maybe there are even some markings on the components. or somebody just has a dead card and can desolder and measure the marked parts?

also, if somebody has totally destroyed his or her card beyond the repair, I may be interested in buying a slice of that PCB

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
Re: identifying RTX 2080 Ti graphics card missing components
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 05:25:42 pm »
Hmm, that looks different to this YouTube of someone going through the hardware of one of those

Might be worth a look for generic pointers, there are some links to high res pictures of the PCB in the comments.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 05:34:35 pm »
but for the white component.. I have no idea what it could be. an inductor perhaps? or maybe just a LED? I can´t find better photos of this area of the card.
Should be C0G type ceramic capacitor, thus should have low capacitance, most likely below 1nF considering it's size.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 06:08:09 pm »
If only decoupling capacitors are missing it may be bad news. Few will cause the card to stop working.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 06:21:56 pm »
PCIe decoupling caps missing,
Those are AC coupling capacitors, nothing to do with decoupling.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 06:41:56 pm »
PCIe decoupling caps missing,
Those are AC coupling capacitors, nothing to do with decoupling.
Yep, thanks for the correction.  I knew what they are for, but somehow consistently made that mistake in writing :/

Should be C0G type ceramic capacitor, thus should have low capacitance, most likely below 1nF considering it's size.

I desoldered a different cap from a visually similar part of the circuit. only way to measure this low capacity is my oscilloscope.  the cap seems more like something between 1-2pF. unfortunately the measuring setup itself measures about 15pF and changing with every movement of any wire. so it is impossible to get more precise with my setup.  I practiced with known capacitors to validate my method.
how important can it be to get the value exactly right?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 07:04:44 pm by newmaster »

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 07:13:02 pm »
also, another missing resistor should be crossing PCI express pins A6 and A7 (correspondingly JTAG3 (TDI)  and JTAG4 (TDO) according to this page: https://pinouts.ru/Slots/pci_express_pinout.shtml )
I don´t know anything about JTAG, but since it is a standard protocol, then maybe somebody can lead me to a right direction.

attached a photo showing the location of the unknown resistor and  all the information I already know.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 07:33:22 pm by newmaster »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf