Author Topic: Agilent E4402B Spectrum Analyzer Keypad Issue- Need Help - Updated Solved  (Read 569 times)

Offline RecursiveLogicTopic starter

Hi All... I'm new to the blog, and this is my first post. I recently acquired an Agilent E4402B Spectrum Analyzer. I am running version HP A.03.03 firmware, and I am unable to ESC out of the startup splash screen. I can only press the green preset key, which briefly changes the center channel from 1.5GHz to 750MHz, showing quick * next to the center channel next to the Frequency Menu. I am able to introduce a 10MHz signal, which shows up on the very left side of the screen and does vary based on power. I've examined the boards, and looked for potential issues, even thought I do believe this is a programmatic lockout. I've tried the System/Local key, and other keys with no visible indication of button push. No menus change, no action appears to happen, with the only exception is the preset key, as I stated above. Even the On and Standby buttons do not function in the current state. Finally, I see no indication of error outside of an expected message "System, Alignments, Align Now, All required" message.

Update: I've since attempted a firmware update, loading disk one, the unit stayed in white screen until the disk finished. I was unable to make a keypad entry on disk switch, and am now believing I have a bad A4 board (no blinking light, DS7, and DS13 remain lit) after troubleshooting for several hours. It is an early serial number unit.

Update 7/22/2020 - 08:05AM EST: As I've continued to troubleshoot, I decided to reformat and copy firmware files from disk 1 over to a new disk, and ironically, this has worked to resolve errors on the A4 board, and display. I am now prompted to continue installing the firmware. Unfortunately, the keypad is still unresponsive. Since I am no electronics expert, I am learning as I am going. Having access to the service guide, I decided to check voltages on the probe pins, which are defined in the guide. The positive voltage pin 1 (right corner under RT2) is approximately 14.98v, supposed to be 15v, and the negative side, pin 2, is -3.42v, and is supposed to be -12.6v, so I believe I have an issue with the negative power in the panel, but do not have a schematic to troubleshoot further. I am including an image of the area I tested, and will continue troubleshooting.

Update 8/5/2020 - 10:08PM EST: Upon continued inspection, I identified a bug... quite literally a bug on the board to board cable connector/connector (see pictures). The bug appeared to be burned, and I believe was causing a short between the cable and the AA3348 Raw Board somehow.

Update 8/6/2020 - 12:17AM EST: Just updated the firmware to A.7.06, and doing alignments. I have larger memory, but was having problems updating to A.14.06 disk 3, so will get back to it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 12:35:28 pm by RecursiveLogic »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf