Author Topic: HP 8563E Power Issues  (Read 201 times)

Offline jonsikulTopic starter

• Contributor
HP 8563E Power Issues
« on: June 25, 2024, 02:40:24 pm »
I recently got my hands on an 8563E. It turned on when I got it and display was pretty good and it was able to measure quite nicely.
The only thing was the keypad didn't work on some of the buttons so I opened it up and cleaned it.
I figured while I had it open I would recap the power supply, so I got new electrolytics comparable to the older ones.

I felt pretty happy to get that out of the way and hopefully prevent some power supply damage in the future.
So I recapped all electrolytics and put it back, and now when I turn on, the +5V and the +15V surprisingly don't come up (5V is stuck at 3V and 15 at 10V). It seems as though the A14 and A15 are keeping them down as if they got damaged by my tinkering. It seems to me that the overcurrent protection is the reason for the low voltages.
I tried a electronic load on both +5V and +15V supplies and they could handle quite some load (a few amps) without going down.
When I disconnect both of them from power, the supplies come up and no problem. But with them connected I measure 2.3Ohm (short) on the 5V and 55Ohm on the 15V. Now, there are quite a lot of components on A14 and A15 that use 5V and 15V so it would be a nightmare to try to desolder each component and put it back again. I have looked at the most obvious tantal caps at the input of those boards but no dice.
I believe I was rather careful when handling the electronics in regards to ESD etc.

Any experience with a similar issue or any advice other than desolder everything?

Offline Harry_22

• Regular Contributor
Re: HP 8563E Power Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 02:02:53 pm »
Hi!

Could you post photos to make it clearer what this PSU is like?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf