Author Topic: Tektronix 2247a calibration frequency off  (Read 2914 times)

Offline schulteaaron5Topic starter

• Contributor
Tektronix 2247a calibration frequency off
« on: July 29, 2016, 06:49:30 pm »
Hi, I just bought my first oscilloscope! I couldn't say no to 50 bucks for the 2247a in supposed working order, but I do have the option to return it. I haven't even had a chance to power it on yet but I know the "probe adjust" calibration frequency is off by almost 100hz! Out of 1khz! Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, but I couldn't find any general info on this issue. I know tek scopes can be hard to fix, but I would love to get this thing up and running!

First post, go easy!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Tektronix 2247a calibration frequency off
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:03:35 pm »
Hi, I just bought my first oscilloscope! I couldn't say no to 50 bucks for the 2247a in supposed working order, but I do have the option to return it. I haven't even had a chance to power it on yet but I know the "probe adjust" calibration frequency is off by almost 100hz! Out of 1khz! Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, but I couldn't find any general info on this issue. I know tek scopes can be hard to fix, but I would love to get this thing up and running!

That output's frequency and amplitude are unimportant; what matters is a flat top and short edges. The only time you use that output is when you are fiddling with a "high" impedance *10 probe's frequency compensation, where you fiddle until the waveform's top looks flat, like a good square wave.

BTW, please add a country flag, via the "profile"; that way you might get more relevant information.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline schulteaaron5Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:06:31 pm »
Thanks a bunch, I just booted it up and squared off the calibration signal, looks nice at flat now as you'll see in my pictures...pictures i post because now I have an interface issue, I hope its all my fault and not the scopes!

I can't get the menu to pop up, pretty sure I've tried every "reasonable" button. Also I don't get a legible "readout" on what my time division and v/div are. Turning up readout brightness just makes some scribbles appear, stuck in the center of the screen as seen in pics. Let me know if I should delete this and start a new post

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 03:18:00 am by schulteaaron5 »

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 04:27:15 am »
Try displaying two or 4 trace and see where text line is positioned.I suspect vertical knob is moved. The text line should appear at the last bottom grid position. The size of the alphabets is small/abnormal, could be some problem in the  readout section. Unable to find operator's manual only service manual so a video will have to suffice. 2447a has about 30 engineering changes from 1989 to 1993 ( see service manual).

2247a scope familiarisation video:

2247a service manual (129.4 Mb file! 370 pg.): Wait for "Processing" to change to "Get manual".

http://elektrotanya.com/tektronix_2247a.pdf/download.html

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 04:30:45 am by singapol »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf