Author Topic: HP 66309D Issues  (Read 1878 times)

Offline vaualbusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
HP 66309D Issues
« on: September 06, 2023, 07:21:30 pm »
I acquired for almost nothing on ebay a "broken" HP/Agilent/Keysight 66309D power supply.
It arrives yesterday and I power it up, it was giving me error1 that is something relating corruption of the NVRAM.
Another fault was that internal dvm seems to be absent. When I supposed to go to the page for reading the dvm (meter plus up or down key) the entries were just missing.
On the other end the output seems fine.

To try to solve the issue, following the manual, I first run the 66309D ROM update procedure (even I didn't have any ROM update) and than I clear the calib and eeprom data. You access this menu by enable calib and press the 0 and 1 button together.
Now the instrument can  read the dvm but I lost both calibration (that is not an issue I can recal it) but also the serial number and options of the instrument my unit had option 521 and 4..
The output is not working on both channel but this probably due to option 521 missing.
Option 521 it is an additional board contains some mechanical relay that is used to turn on/off the output.
Option 04 is something related to a default compesantion setting.

PS
Any one has some newer fw image for this? Are there any least of teh released fw having the last would be cool! I  Know I need to buy and program a flash but that should not be a problem.
Also are there any way to load default "factory" calib data? 

There must be a way to enable options because using the mentioned sequence (cal enable and press both 0/1 button)  you reach a menu in which apparently you can enter the options but my tries always failed and after pressing enter nothing change. I guess it can be related to the missing serial number?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 07:24:20 pm by vaualbus »

• Frequent Contributor
Re: HP 66309D Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 08:45:21 pm »
Turn out I am "right" about the output been disconnected by the relays! I measure, following the SM, the rail output voltages and they are present and the voltage is programmable. But the output at the back of the instrument is missing. Guessing the relays are never told to be close so the main output is disconnected?

Offline Swake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 11:35:56 am »
Setting about this 52 option relays is in the last option from the Menu 'Output'
REL:MODE DD
Sets the relay mode for Option 521 units (DD, HD, DH, or HH) (output 1 shown)

More info in the manual in paragraph: Option 521 Description (Agilent 66309B/D only)

From the service Manual:
A6 Option 521 Relay Circuits
The A6 Option 521 relay board incorporates solid-state relays to connect and disconnect the outputs of the dc source. The relays are available on the - Out and - sense terminals of Output 1 and on the + Out and + sense terminals of Output 2. When the solid state relays are open, the output impedance is effectively raised to about 500k ohms for output 1, and about 200k ohms for output 2. The output relays are controlled by signals generated on the A2 Interface board, which are transferred to the relay board via cable W9. Cable W10 is used to daisy-chains other signals such as the output on/off signals from the A2 Interface board to the A1 board. Cable W11 connects the relays to the outputs of the dc source. The A6 Option 521 relay board is assembly-level replaceable; it contains no user replaceable parts.

According to that same manual the main control board A1 and the DVM board A5 are specific when option 521 is presents. There is as slight chance that it is a pure hardware option not requiring any programming.

Make sure to connect the sense inputs !
When it fits stop using the hammer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 02:34:06 pm »
It is also software if you trace back the pins from te output to the molex connector where the option 521 connects you figured out that the output- terminal of the outputs are routed there. As I mentioned before the output is voltage is zero at the output connector but it is present and programmable on both channels if measure on the points that the SM suggests.
Probably the SW need to know how to control those additional relays but as the instrument is not knowing which option it has installed this is not happenning.

Also I add that I figure out also here. I already posted this on an old thread better having here because this is a newer thread.

I see in this video of keysight around 1:49 there is a DIAG:SN option to set the SN via GPIB.
I try to write a script but is failing saying it is not liking the serial number format. Apparently it expect something that is not text for parameter?
I am new at pyvisa so maybe I am doing a stupid mistake?  :-DD

# First enable calibration
    foundInst.write(":CAL:STAT 1")
    # Send the serial number
    foundInst.write(f":DIAG:SN US39071080")
    # Save calibration
    foundInst.write(":CAL:SAVE")
    # Disable Calibration
    foundInst.write(":CAL:STAT 0")
    # Close the instrument.
    foundInst.close()

Returned error is -148 that for the user manual is: -148: Character data not allowed

I can imagine there an equivalent DIAG command for enable options?
Apparently If I send, after having enable calib, :DIAG:OPT 521  the instruments is not reporting any error but still no such option is than enabled and stored.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 02:35:52 pm by vaualbus »

Offline Nanitamuscen

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 05:06:24 pm »
Firmware Am27C2048 66309D-A.02.02
This topic can also help you. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/my-poor-mans-smu-the-agilent-66311b/100/

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 07:35:15 pm »
I already have that FW (or even  newer now I don't recall), also I posted the above comments also on the thread you mentioned :-DD but it is too so I also post a similar version here as it is newer!
But thanks anyway  :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 07:37:07 pm by vaualbus »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 03:44:17 pm »
So Keysight did not provide any support as this instrument is not in the Keysight care program (have to paid for it, make no sense for just this instrument)

So I am down to this for set at least the SN
    # Send the serial number
    foundInst.write(f":DIAG:SN US39071080")
    # Save calibration
    # Disable Calibration
    # Close the instrument.
    foundInst.close()

I have to figure out what the instrument is expecting for serial number, as said sending just the string return an error -148 characters not supported.

None the less sending foundInst.write(f":DIAG:OPT 521") does not return any error but again the option is not enabled (may it also need the SN?).

Also, in the menu you access pressing the 0 and 1 buttons there is a way to enter some kind of key, maybe is that the way you enable options?
In that menu apparently you can set the options but again they are no stored. Maybe you need to send both a key and then the option?
I have the fw image but have no idea on how to disassemble it as I don-t know where the code start.

There must be a solution somehow.
Or I have to modify the motherboard to remove the option 521, I guess by add some wiring that bypass that option.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 03:48:36 pm by vaualbus »

Offline Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 08:17:13 pm »
This is a very timely thread for me - thanks for starting it!

I have just received a "66319D" which also had error 1, plus channel 2 wouldn't do anything. I ran the ROM update procedure and the second channel now works, but the output resistance option and 1A ranges don't work, plus it also has a serial number of 0.

Looking closer, it appears that someone has done a dodgy board (or at least ROM) switch before it made it to me - the main board has 66309 on it's sticker, is missing the connections to the extra daughter board that is in 66321x/66319x units, and finally there was a sticker saying 66309D on the back under another that had 66319D! For ~100USD I'm still happy with the purchase though.

Now I'm guessing putting the 66309 ROM image into this unit will turn it back into what it should be, but I'm regretting not pulling a nvram image off it before doing the ROM update procedure - it may have had 66309x data (causing the error 1 due to being from the wrong model) with a serial number in it before I did it, but I was too hasty and didn't investigate fully first :(

If someone is willing to pull a NVRAM dump from one of these 66309/66311 units (it's a 93C86 microwire EEPROM) then that should allow us to work out where the serial number lives (though there'll also be a checksum to deal with).

Finally, if it helps I can take some pics of the board in my unit, which might reveal the differences with the 521 option. I suspect it'll be a couple of 0R links that bridge an unpopulated J320 connector near the output on my unit though (as seen here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/my-poor-mans-smu-the-agilent-66311b/?action=dlattach;attach=200929;image )

Edit: Looks like programming a new EPROM with the correct FW is a pain in the ass without the correct kit - if anyone is willing to burn one and put it in the post (postage and EPROM part at my expense) then that would also be amazing!
I'll also try and find my GPIB adapter and poke around with the serial number commands.

Edit2:
Put the serial number in single quotes, e.g. ":DIAG:SN 'US39071080'" and it works :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 09:06:47 pm by Hydron »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 02:11:52 pm »
Thanks man! Indded adding the '' works out.
Still I have to figured out how to the set the option ahah.
So basically someone tried to convert a a 66319D to a 66309D for some reason? 
Can you do a photo of your unit too?
From the blog I can see two of the jumpers required (the one for channel 1) but I have no idea on the jumpers for channel 2 location at all,.
Maybe a photos of your unit can show how they are done in a2 channel instrument.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2023, 02:19:26 pm »
Ok so now that I finally set the serial number, I tried running this commands now the scripts fails with error 402 while before when no SN was set no errors  were reported!
The error must be misleading because I can access and enable call manually and it seems no password is required but error 402 is documented as "CAL password is incorrect"

# Enable the option
    foundInst.write(f":DIAG:OPT {optStr}")
    # Save calibration
    # Disable Calibration
    # Close the instrument.
    foundInst.close()

I will try bypass the pwd check via the internal switches maybe that is requried for option programming?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2023, 02:37:02 pm »
Ok, SITUATION IS RESOLVED!!
So after the serial number is set I run again the ROMUPD procedure via the menu show after pressing 0 and 1 button.
After the instruments reset now it display option 521 and I have a f*****g output again!!
Now I just need to figured out to set option 04 but as it appear to be related to compensation or something like that it is not urgent.
Now I will recalibrate the instrument next wee as for sure the cal data is gone!

So to conclude to be able to have the options you need a serial number present!

The following users thanked this post: voltsandjolts

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf