Author Topic: Help restoring software/drivers for Agilent 54832D infiniium oscilloscope  (Read 1716 times)

Offline rfclownTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Acquired two Agilent 54832D with the hard drives ripped out by a gorilla. Both units look good and clean on the inside. Unit #1 has a Motorola VP22 motherboard. Unit #2 has a different motherboard (motherboard2.jpg). Both units have the combo GPIB board (don't know much about that) so have 3 slots filled. Replaced CMOS batteries for both. Restored BIOS setup. Bought a Hitachi 30 GB IDE drive on eBay for Unit #1 (inside.jpg). Installed and activated Windows XP Professional SP3 (front.jpg). I have access to a 54833D (can't open it up) which I used to copy everything on the C drive to a USB memory stick. From that I was able to install correct (I think) video drivers. I see the same two Display Adapters in device manager as the 54833D (video.PNG) although the 54833D has 24 bit color and Unit #1 has 16 bit. Downloaded and installed 5.71 software, Agilent IO libraries, some .NET stuff.

I'm stuck at how to get the drivers for the rest of the stuff (needed.jpg). I've hunted and pecked in the files I copied from the 54833D, but was only successful in getting the video better than it was.

When I first got these things I Googled and called Keysight. After a few days I got Unit #1 booting Windows, but gave up after spining my wheels making no further progress. Last night I got the video going on Unit #2 by reseating the PCI card and repairing a damaged ribbon cable. I'm trying to get a second wind to get these things going.

Any suggestions? Drivers for acquisition card, etc.?

Offline cheater

• Regular Contributor
Have you tried the HP/Agilent mailing list on groups dot io?

• Frequent Contributor
Have you tried the HP/Agilent mailing list on groups dot io?

Thank you. Wasn't familiar with groups dot io. I'll look there.

Offline Venturi962

• Regular Contributor
You need these drivers for those:

You will need the following files
1) adobe.sys, mesa.sys, zeum.sys ( from C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder
2) adobe.inf, mesa.inf, zeum.inf (from scope recovery partition C:\Windows\inf folder )

Borrowed from here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-54831d-modernising/msg2604720/#msg2604720

One driver that isn't mentioned is the one for Segmented Memory, it is either called 'agave' or 'tstone', my notes don't specify.

If you need these files, I think I have them somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:56:35 pm by Venturi962 »

• Frequent Contributor
You need these drivers for those:

You will need the following files
1) adobe.sys, mesa.sys, zeum.sys ( from C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder
2) adobe.inf, mesa.inf, zeum.inf (from scope recovery partition C:\Windows\inf folder )

Borrowed from here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-54831d-modernising/msg2604720/#msg2604720

One driver that isn't mentioned is the one for Segmented Memory, it is either called 'agave' or 'tstone', my notes don't specify.

If you need these files, I think I have them somewhere.

Thank you. I found the *.sys files you list. What I don't have is the *.inf files since I can't muck with the partitions on the other scope I have available to get to the recovery partition. The other scope is at work, and they don't mind me going into Windows to copy system files, but they don't want me to mess with poking into partitions.

The link you provided has some *.inf files.  :)  :D

Got it to take the adobe.sys and zeum.sys. Don't have *.inf files for agave, tstone. It wasn't looking for the mesa I guess, since I have the .inf file for it. Only two question marks in Device Manager now. Two steps forward!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 12:59:10 am by rfclown »

Offline Venturi962

• Regular Contributor
Here are the INFs for Agave and TStone as well.

One more note, the original INFs for XP have a slightly different value for the [SourceDisksNames.x86]

In my WinXP Originals it looks like this:

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
1 = %DiskId1%,,,""

The Windows 10 versions in the attachments look like this:

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
;1 = %DiskId1%,,,""
1 = ,,,""

I don't know if this matters (not too familiar with Windows INF files) but wanted to share.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 12:50:23 am by Venturi962 »

• Frequent Contributor
Thank you so much. I just edited my last post before I saw that you posted again.

Offline Venturi962

• Regular Contributor
Let me know if you need anything else - found my original XP files.

• Frequent Contributor
Well, I don't have any problems showing in Device Manager, but the scope program (agScope.exe) doesn't run.  :'( Not sure where to go from here. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the scope program.

Offline Venturi962

• Regular Contributor
Were you able to install Mesa.inf?  That was required for the Win10 installation - may be helpful to try and mimic those steps in the other thread.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Be mindfull of the mobo capacitors: capacitor plague era, I have found two versions of the motherboard both riddled with leaking caps.

Also, I have a recovery kit. If you ever can't manage to get it together, feel free to contact me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf