Author Topic: Marconi/Aeroflex screen repair - Can you diagnose this?  (Read 1108 times)

Offline homem_do_sacoTopic starter

• Contributor
Marconi/Aeroflex screen repair - Can you diagnose this?
« on: August 26, 2020, 02:31:01 pm »
Hi everyone.

I recently acquired a Marconi 2030 signal generator. It came with a defective LCD screen that does not impair usage, but is annoying.

However, I don`t think the LCD screen itself is at fault, because the LCD self test flips the pixels. I think it`s some logic chip`s problem.

If someone could take a look at the schematics and come up with some idea, that would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 02:33:15 pm by homem_do_saco »

Offline George Edmonds

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Marconi/Aeroflex screen repair - Can you diagnose this?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 06:09:47 pm »
Hi

This is 99.99% certain to be a faulty LCD screen which must be replaced to clear the fault.

George G6HIG UK

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 08:12:50 pm »
Can you take a better lit photo? The detail of the screen is mostly obscured by the reflection of you and your shirt.

Are you talking about the black streak above the -144dB in the first photo?

Edit: Ah, I get it - the horizontal line across the middle of the screen (At first look, I thought it was a separator).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 08:15:44 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline George Edmonds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 11:32:29 pm »
Just to clarify the situation.

ALL of the display decode and LCD driver logic is embedded in the display itself.

There were two different LCD displays used by Marconi in the 203x and 204x range. the original one was manufactured by Epson and is totally unobtainable now, the later display was manufactured by NAN-YA and a small number are still available.  The CCFL driver is different between the two displays and MUST be changed with the display.

George G6HIG Dover UK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf