Author Topic: Heathkit AR-2000  (Read 1106 times)

Offline tggzzzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Heathkit AR-2000
« on: November 25, 2022, 01:56:25 pm »
The Heathkit AR-2000 was a medium-high quality domestic tuner-amplifier, 2*20W RMS output into 8ohms, tape + mag phono + ceramic phono inputs, and an LW/AM/FM and SW tuner.

When I was young in the early 1970s and "Hi Fi" music was a hot topic, my parent's 1950s mono record deck and valve Heathkit amplifier weren't cutting the mustard any more. So my father and I assembled a Heathkit AR-2000 tuner-amplifier together as a project over the Christmas holidays. I'd stuff the boards during the day, he would check them after work, and I would solder them. ISTR buying an Antex 25W soldering iron for the job - standard decent quality at the time.

I've recently "repossessed" the AR2000, and decided to see if it would work and how good/bad my assembly skills were.

Summary:
  • the front panel LES bulbs had mostly failed. Easily replaced, thanks to fleabay
  • a 100mA fuse had blown, but since it was only carrying 25mA, I just replaced that
  • it appears to work (with a 40us risetime!), but I haven't connected it to loudspeaker
  • shame about the scuffed cabinet
  • the scale illumination is as uneven as ever, but that was normal then
  • the soldering isn't bad, and certainly nowhere near the (lack of) quality that some Heathkit gorillas perpetrated!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 01:59:53 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Heathkit AR-2000
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 03:13:48 pm »
Nice looking receiver and pretty good inside as well, nice and clean and soldering looks to be perfectly OK to me.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 03:15:36 pm »
Theses where the "good years"    easy to build and troubleshoot  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 04:36:14 pm »
Antex 25W soldering iron for the job - standard decent quality at the time
The 18w version is still my everyday iron of choice,must be 40+ years old and still going strong.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 03:24:03 pm »
That stretched out design sure eats up counter space!!!
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 03:44:39 pm »
That stretched out design sure eats up counter space!!!

True, but that might also be a reason why so many of the old gear is still going strong today, plenty of natural ventilation to keep things cool?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf