Author Topic: Iota DSL-55 12V Battery Charger - How to test the trickle function?  (Read 795 times)

Offline t1dTopic starter

• Super Contributor
The title says it all... How can I test the function, without possibly boiling a good battery? (It has boiled two batteries, but their condition was v-e-r-y suspect.) I have lots of electronics test bench gear, but I am still a bit of a novice. Thank you for your help.

Offline t1dTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Iota DSL-55 12V Battery Charger - How to test the trickle function?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 03:59:07 pm »
Bump...

I really do need help brainstorming how to test the charger's trickle function, without torturing a perfectly good battery. I did email the manufacturer, but they never responded.

I do have a DC CC Electronic Load, but it can only handle 30V/2A/60W. But, I would think that we are only talking about a minute load. Would just a draw of 1/4A trick the charger into thinking it was looking at a full battery? I would think that a charger would be monitoring voltage, not amps.

I also have lab PSUs. Just show the charger 14.4 volts? Have a DMM in series and see if the current draw drops?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline t1dTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 03:54:35 pm »
Bump...

Offline t1dTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 11:55:52 pm »
Bump...

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 03:27:20 am »
It's hard to tell what their firmware's criteria is for jumping to float or equalize charge states. That seems to exist only with the IQ4 controller option. The two-step voltage jack is just 13.6V or 14.2V
Since the charger does not know what size battery or bank is connected to it, it likely uses voltage, with current just telling it if the battery is connected. But sophisticated F/W looks for the current to fall as well.

I would put a load on the charger as well as a DC power supply. Say 1A and say 13V it should initiate bulk charging and kick the voltage up to 14.8V and likely jump to float right away.
So with the charger doing nothing, your PSU is putting out say 13.0V at 1A until the charger engages and out-muscles the PSU.
Hard to tell if it is looking for current to fall, or just using a timer to decide to go to the next state. I think it's voltage from the (DLS-55) description:

Float 2.466Vpc = 13.60V
Absorption 2.366Vpc = 14.20V
Bulk 2.266Vpc = 14.80V

"When the unit is first activated, the LED will flash as it reads the number of cells in the battery. The unit will then proceed directly to the Bulk charging or Float charging phase depending on the charge status of the battery."

Offline t1dTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 04:13:48 am »
Thank you so much for your reply and help! I will study your instructions and post my progress, but not tonight... It is late, where I am. I am sure that I will have questions on how to set up my equipment to do the test safely.

Offline TheMG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 06:47:27 pm »
Best method I find with "smart" chargers, since the exact algorithms in use are unknown, is to actually charge a battery with it, while closely monitoring the charge progress with both an ammeter and voltmeter, and keeping an eye on battery temperature.

Of course, do make sure the battery being charged is adequately sized for the charger. Attempting to charge an undersized battery at a high charging current can result in a thermal runaway situation. Refer to the battery manufacturer's datasheet for the recommendation on maximum charging current.

Also, I've looked at the specs for your charger, and it seems it can be used as either a power supply -OR- a charger, not both simultaneously. Be sure you don't have any loads connected to the batteries during charging. Loads being powered from the batteries during charging can cause the charger to never go to float charge mode!

Of course, even with a properly functioning charger, being used properly, with adequately sized batteries, other conditions can cause a thermal runaway. The age and condition of the batteries can be a factor, as can high ambient temperatures (especially if the charger does not monitor temperature and adjust charging voltage accordingly).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf