Author Topic: Global Specialties PB203A  (Read 743 times)

Offline AvinuncaTopic starter

Global Specialties PB203A
« on: February 19, 2023, 09:30:55 pm »
I bought a powered breadboard from the USA hoping it would have a split primary so I could convert it to run on UK mains.
My gamble didn't pay off and I didn't realise a transformer with 15v 15v and 9V outputs would be hard to find.
Question to UK based folk - can I get a transformer made here - I know it's possible but no idea of the cost for a one off.
Has anyone got such a transformer for sale with enough VA to give me after regulation 2 x 15v  @ 500mA and  5V @ 1A
Squeezing separate ones in to the space for the 15,15v and the 9V looks too tight.
I did send an email to Global Specialties but didn't hear back.
Last resort is to use a smps but would prefer not to.
The breadboard wasn't such a bargain after paying £50 postage but still much cheaper than buying a new one here though the fact it doesn't work here is a slight disadvantage!

Offline Whitefoot

• Contributor
Re: Global Specialties PB203A
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 03:07:04 pm »
It might be simplest to get an outboard 120 to 240V transformer.

Offline DavidKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 12:43:07 pm »
Same ideas as Whitefoot. It can be auto transformer. When you buy one with more outputs, than it can be used for different voltages like 100, 110 or 200V. It is simpler, smaller and cheaper than transformer with same power rating.
If you have some transformer with split primary for voltage you need, that can handle your current, you can use it instead of autotransformer simply by using primary only.

Offline AvinuncaTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 05:04:24 pm »
I found a used Smart 2 step down transformer unit and fitted a three core mains plug on the breadboard in place of the two pin plug.
I find it strange how anything with a metal case could have been wired lacking a  protective earth.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 10:19:18 am »
Are you sure it’s genuine??

On the Global Specialties website, it is shown as having a 3-pin IEC input and a voltage selector switch: https://www.globalspecialties.com/product/PB-203A

What is odd, though, is that the manual lists only 115V input. Maybe they have different versions?

(FYI, it is common to have metal housings and no ground. It just requires all hazardous voltages to be double-insulated. It’s common on consumer AV gear.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 10:21:34 am by tooki »

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 01:33:36 pm »
Are you sure it’s genuine??

On the Global Specialties website, it is shown as having a 3-pin IEC input and a voltage selector switch: https://www.globalspecialties.com/product/PB-203A

What is odd, though, is that the manual lists only 115V input. Maybe they have different versions?
I think this model is quite old and has gone through several revisions over the years.  I've got a very similar board from the same company (same size and probably the same model number, can't remember offhand) and I think it's from the 1990's...  Mine has an attached power cord and no voltage selection and looks very much like this one I found on eBay but the framework is all black painted on mine...

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PICt

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf