Author Topic: Fluke/Philips PM2811 repair  (Read 521 times)

Offline IbnBattutiFruttiTopic starter

Fluke/Philips PM2811 repair
« on: January 16, 2024, 04:20:38 pm »
I recently acquired a Fluke (Philips) PM2811 DC power supply. Unfortunately, the previous owner had failed to properly seat one of the PCBs. So when I slid off the cover for the first time, a small transformer on a daughterboard caught against the cover and underwent rapid unscheduled disassembly.  :-BROKE

Service manual link is below. The daughter board is on the PCB layout on page 56, labeled T101. The wiring diagram on page 57 lists it as "7105-2 EL Inverter DC 5V / AC 115V".

https://www.eevblog.com/files/philips_pm2811_pm2812_pm2813_sm.pdf

Long story short, it seems that this is a 5vdc to 115vac inverter that outputs to "VBL+"  and "VBL-". I'm assuming BL is backlight?

Is there a module that I can substitute in here? I'd reverse engineer the daughter board, but the transformer is in pieces and has no markings.

Offline Chris56000

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fluke/Philips PM2811 repair
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 06:22:57 am »
Hi!

. . .Any good?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EJkE6mp

. . .You should be able to obtain 12 V to operate this from elsewhere in your power supply unit!

Chris Williams
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 09:22:11 am »
I recently acquired a Fluke (Philips) PM2811 DC power supply. Unfortunately, the previous owner had failed to properly seat one of the PCBs. So when I slid off the cover for the first time, a small transformer on a daughterboard caught against the cover and underwent rapid unscheduled disassembly.  :-BROKE

Service manual link is below. The daughter board is on the PCB layout on page 56, labeled T101. The wiring diagram on page 57 lists it as "7105-2 EL Inverter DC 5V / AC 115V".

https://www.eevblog.com/files/philips_pm2811_pm2812_pm2813_sm.pdf

Long story short, it seems that this is a 5vdc to 115vac inverter that outputs to "VBL+"  and "VBL-". I'm assuming BL is backlight?

Is there a module that I can substitute in here? I'd reverse engineer the daughter board, but the transformer is in pieces and has no markings.
It might pay to also check that the EL panel itself is still working as they have a tendency to fail over time. If the EL panel has failed replacing it with an LED backlight might be a better option, providing you can find one that is thin enough to fit under the LCD module. The LED panel could run directly off the +5V supply without the need for an additional inverter.

Offline IbnBattutiFruttiTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 05:30:50 pm »
Hadn't thought of going LED. Will definitely try that, thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf