Author Topic: Fluke 5440B repair  (Read 1252 times)

Online leighcorrigall

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nuclear Materials Scientist
Re: Fluke 5440B repair
« Reply #25 on: Today at 01:38:35 pm »
If you have another 5440B that you do not mind opening, I would suggest swapping those cards, including the transformer, to see if you can isolate the problem.

This may be my shortest path to success, as I do have my 5440A, and they're very very similar, if not outright identical (other than the display board). In fact, I seem to recall I identified a couple other less know differences going by just the SMs, which may be documented in my 5440A thread.

In any case, I need to collect some guts to begin such an endeavor, as maneuvering two behemoths like these guys are are not for the faint of heart (or people liking theirs backs working OK). I need to wrestle them in a way where I could have both open side by side, and this in my cramped workshop will be tough.

I have reviewed the manual and seen enough teardowns to agree with you that there are very few differences between the A and B versions. The rear interface panels are different, too.

Be careful. The plastic handles are prone to breaking and should not be used for moving the unit. I move the instrument by sitting it on an office chair and moving it around my office when I need to work on it. One of my long-term goals is to replace these handles with steel equivalents so that I don't have to worry about breaking something off. My 5440B will be with me for a long time because it is tremendously reliable and has excellent specifications.
MASc, EIT, PhD Candidate

The following users thanked this post: Dr. Frank

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf