Author Topic: ESP32 01S module overheating  (Read 502 times)

Offline JaunedeauTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
ESP32 01S module overheating
« on: May 02, 2023, 06:56:43 am »
Hi,

I got an Atari 2600 dev cartridge (PlusCart v1.2). It uses an esp32 01s module to have internet access (to save high scores, download new version of games, ...)

It never worked. The esp module smelled like super hot when I plugged the usb in. Yesterday I took off the ESP32-01S and notices than one component was really  badly soldered : not really in place, and I could easyly remove it with my nail. I tested it with a DMM, it read 0ohms.

Does someone know what this component is ? Is it normal it read 0R (in both directions) ?

(yes, I understand it would be less expensive for me to order a new module than trying to learn things :) )

Thanks,
J.

Edit : if my cheap DMM is right, on pad is 0R to 3.3V and the other to GND, that would logically make it a capacitor, maybe the module can worrk without it, I'll try.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:05:38 am by Jaunedeau »

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
Re: ESP32 01S module overheating
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 08:01:44 am »
Yes, multilayer ceramic capacitors (MLCC) can go short circuit. If it is brown, probably a cap. Resistors usually black.

Offline JaunedeauTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 09:53:37 am »
it's white. There are brown caps on other places on the board.

Offline stevelup

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 02:47:03 pm »
Remove the component and measure it out of circuit. If it's shorted, then you've found your problem.

If it isn't, measure the pads on the board and you'll probably see the short is still there. If that's the case it means the ESP chip or voltage regulator is toast.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf