Author Topic: LCD touchscreen w/ horizontal lines  (Read 2768 times)

Offline vindolineTopic starter

• Supporter
LCD touchscreen w/ horizontal lines
« on: May 29, 2018, 03:05:56 am »
I've got a piece of lab equipment with a problem touchscreen LCD. On power-up it appears to pass its self-tests, however the screen is not useable. Initially, I assumed it was a loose ribbon cable or a dirty zebra strip in need of cleaning. However, this does not appear to be the case. I've re-seated all the cables multiple times and I've checked the solder work on the ribbon cable under the microscope and it looks good. The LCD and touchscreen components are siliconed together and disassembly isn't feasible. Furthermore, it's possible to get the entire LCD to light-up white while inserting the 14-pin ribbon connector. I don't think there is damage to the LCD screen itself. I'm wondering it there's a known common failure mode that causes this. Any ideas are welcome.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: LCD touchscreen w/ horizontal lines
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 03:21:02 am »
It is a bad connection inside the LCD. You need to undo the black bent clips, remove the board and clean or replace the zebra strips inside the LCD. It does not look like touch screen will be in a way.
Alex

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 01:46:28 pm »
Thanks Alex, I'll try and take a look at this tonight.

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 04:45:41 pm »
Alex, you're right that by straightening the aluminum clips the LCD can be disassembled. However, I still believe that the LCD itself is fine. With the frame off, gentle pressure or flexing has no effect on the horizontal lines in the display - however it does cause issues in the vertical direction  :palm: Additionally, the fact that I can get all pixels to light up briefly while inserting or removing the ribbon cable suggests to me that the LCD and its associated row and column driver chips (LC79401 & LC79430) are fine. I'm wondering if it could be the Epson controller (S1D13502) or its associated RAM? Any tips on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 06:27:02 pm »
If you get all the pixels activated while inserting or removing the cable that suggests that there may be a problem with whatever is producing the signal. Can you find a datasheet for the display that shows what the signal should be?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 06:31:58 pm »
The cable is clearly just a parallel interface, so it looks like all pixels are activated on power cycle. This may be just some internal reaction of the LCD panel to transient voltages that happen on power up.
Alex

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 12:28:40 am »
Sure but with a parallel interface it's still possible for a fault in the frame buffer to produce lines through the picture. The connection between the glass and drivers you suggested is the first thing I'd suspect though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf