Author Topic: Sony DVD player model DVP-S550D diagonal lines.  (Read 275 times)

Offline PaceguyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Sony DVD player model DVP-S550D diagonal lines.
« on: June 08, 2024, 05:28:50 pm »
My Sony DVD player model DVP-S550D has a problem. When first powered up, the image has thin or fine  diagonal lines across the entire screen. As it warms up, the lines appear to get more faint and eventually disappear. It takes between 30 - 45 minutes for this to happen. It works ok until it's shut off but the problem re-occurs the next time that it's powered on.

Could this be a problem caused by a bad capacitor or something that's off value and corrects once it heats up?

Has anyone seen a similar problem with this model or any other model or brand? I own an ESR tester and was thinking to check all the electrolytic caps. Should I use my scope and if so what should I look for?

Thanks in advance.

Offline PaceguyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Sony DVD player model DVP-S550D diagonal lines.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2024, 10:36:59 am »
Anyone?

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2024, 12:38:32 pm »
Does this error move with the player? I.e. attached to another TV, does it show the same lines?
If yes, I would assume a PSU "weakness", probably smoothing cap.
However: as this is a switching PSU, high voltage is present, so poking around is lethal, unless you know what you are doing.
Elektrotanya has the service manual including full PSU schematics (and measurement instructions throughout the whole unit, with waveforms). Maybe check the output signals according to service manual first, you will need a scope.

Offline jzx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024, 02:44:25 pm »
It can be ripple on the power supply. If you have an oscilloscope, check all the power supply voltages to see if they have too much ripple. Often this  is caused by an electrolytic capacitor whith excesive internal resistence (cooked).

Offline jzx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2024, 03:02:39 pm »
Of course, do this check only in the low voltage side. The big capacitor in the input side usually does not fail, if you want to check, do with the esr meter.

As you say that can be a problem related with temperature, give time to the dvd for heat, unplug and check the temperature of electrolytic capacitor. High esr ones tend to be hot.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf