Author Topic: Safety Capacitor question  (Read 3369 times)

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
Re: Safety Capacitor question
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2021, 02:12:26 am »
I assume you know it's generally safe to round to modern values.

C3, I'd probably use .022, this couples audio into the first amplifier stage, higher value=stronger bass, so may as well use the biggest the engineers saw fit to use.

C5 I think is a feedback capacitor? Probably another .022, remember that anywhere they used paper caps isn't terribly critical.

33 and 47 (or better yet 68, old electrolytic caps were usually toleranced at -20%, +80%, so you can safely go up a bit) for the B+ filters, also go up on the voltage rating as often old stuff ran near the limit. Higher voltage rating also often means a larger, higher ripple rating, cooler running, longer life part. It is possible to get into trouble there with considerably smaller modern capacitors running hot.

Offline ttx450Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Safety Capacitor question
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2021, 02:30:06 am »
I assume you know it's generally safe to round to modern values.

C3, I'd probably use .022, this couples audio into the first amplifier stage, higher value=stronger bass, so may as well use the biggest the engineers saw fit to use.

C5 I think is a feedback capacitor? Probably another .022, remember that anywhere they used paper caps isn't terribly critical.

33 and 47 (or better yet 68, old electrolytic caps were usually toleranced at -20%, +80%, so you can safely go up a bit) for the B+ filters, also go up on the voltage rating as often old stuff ran near the limit. Higher voltage rating also often means a larger, higher ripple rating, cooler running, longer life part. It is possible to get into trouble there with considerably smaller modern capacitors running hot.
Hi, yes.  Thanks for explaining how the caps influence the sound. The RCA service repair book (I don't have)has upgrade and modifications.  I wish I had a copy of that.

So upping the 2nd cap is safe?  Newest schematic version is 50uf.  See what I can find in 68ish going to order some stuff soon.

Thanks for the info. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 02:33:25 am by ttx450 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf