Author Topic: Charging by the hour is unfair!  (Read 10384 times)

Offline David Aurora

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Charging by the hour is unfair!
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2024, 04:50:27 am »
Reading another thread on this topic got me thinking about all the things wrong with charging by the hour.

Yes, 99% of repairers charge by the hour. But change your point of view to that of a customer.  Firstly, charging by the hour encourages the repairer to work as slowly as possible. If the repairer wants to treat themselves to something nice but expensive, all they need to do is slow down and take longer over each repair.  Yes, I know that sometimes you have enough work that you don't need to stretch it out, but the customer doesn't know that. All they know is that it is in your interest to work as slowly as possible.  So why should they trust you?

Secondly, the more incompetent you are, the longer it takes you to do a repair.  In other words, the customer pays an incompetent repairer more than a competent one.  How is that OK?

Thirdly, charging a customer for your time when you have failed to fix something is profoundly unfair.  You see, you might charge the customer for your time, but the customer doesn't want your time; that's not what they are interested in.  They want their appliance fixing.  They are paying for a repair, not for half a day of you farting about and getting nowhere with it.  I once had a really tricky intermittent misfire on a car which I couldn't find, so I took it to a technician who had loads of fancy diagnostic equipment and was considered to be a genuine expert.  He had a monthly column in a trade magazine.  Anyway, he hooked up the car and messed about for two hours before giving up. He charged me for two hours labour - something like £180, I think.  I paid up but felt utterly ripped off. I drove the car there with a misfire.  Two hours later I drove the car away, still with a misfire, but £180 poorer.  I paid out money and got nothing.  I was pretty pissed off.

These issues are all due to the broken business model repairers use.  There is a disconnect between what the customer wants and what you provide.  No customer wants to buy your time. A customer wants to buy a repair.  It is irrelevant to the customer whether it takes you ten minutes or ten hours - they just want their widget to work and to pay what feels like a fair price.

Maybe every job should start with an up-front firm quote to the customer, and should include a no fix / no fee commitment.  If that is too restrictive, then give the customer an estimate and say that you will contact them to ask their agreement to proceed if you find you need to charge more for the repair.  But again, NO FIX, NO FEE!

What say you?

This is one of the most clueless posts I've seen in a while, I'm assuming this is a full Karen meltdown over something trivial that happened to you but I can't be bothered going through the whole thread looking for the story. Responding in order of insane statements:

- This is just flat out not how business works. I (like most repairers, I'd imagine) have a queue. Customers hate that, everyone wants their thing fixed immediately. Dragging out jobs for more hours would mean less jobs done per day, which means a longer queue for customers, which means lost business. Whether I spend 3 hours on one job or 1 hour each on 3 jobs I make the same, but if I only get one job done in 3 hours then I'm going to run out of shelf space and get lots of "IS IT READY YET" phone calls real quick. Also, you assume two things- first, that repairers are inherently dishonest, and second, that customers will pay whatever they're told without question. Neither is true.

- Again, not how it works. Peoples hourly rate generally reflects experience and reputation. Cheaper labour generally means it's going to take them a lot longer, and it tends to all balance out pretty evenly. I charge many times what I did when I was starting out, but my experience/speed has multiplied similarly. The final bills are basically the same from the customer point of view (adjusting for inflation etc obviously), regardless of what the printed hourly rate is.

- Maybe sometimes, but usually not. You're assuming that the repairer isn't smart enough to find the fault, but this is not usually the case. More often the reason for a no fix is going to be catastrophic damage, parts availability problems, low item value making repair costs impractical, intermittent faults, etc. We don't know this before an item walks in the door. Very simple example from last week- customer brought in a device they blew up with the wrong power supply. I dig through the power section and find the damaged components, clean up the PCB damage and so on. I rig up some bench supplies for testing as this thing has a tonne of supply rails, and it turns out the main processor is dead too. Not something that's available as a spare part (it's an old device that hasn't been made for a good decade or so). Some of the damaged power supply components are also out of production and unavailable. Obviously the unit is a write off at this point given used working units are only worth a few hundred bucks. By what logic do you think I should be out of pocket for my time on this? Yeah it's a no fix, but not through any lack of effort on my part.

- What the customer wants something to cost has no bearing on the actual cost of the repair process. The customer does not get to invent what they think a fair price is, it costs what it costs in terms of parts and labour. A significant number of my customer interactions go like this "Hey, I need my thing fixed. It's just a loose wire, should be an easy one" "Oh, OK, which wire is loose?" "What?" "You said it just needs a loose wire reattached?" "Well, I mean, I assume that's what it is because it doesn't work, should only take you 5 minutes with your tools". Meanwhile in reality the thing doesn't work because it copped a lightning surge and the entire power supply has been blown to smithereens.

- Absolutely not, for the reasons outlined above. Again- in most cases WE DO NOT KNOW what the cost will be in advance. Electronics repair is not as simple as say a tyre shop going "You got a shredded tyre? What size? OK, it's ___ bucks for one of those and ___ to fit it". God, even that simple example often has its own complications (e.g. rim is damaged, one wheel nut is seized, etc). On any given day the phone calls I get will say anything from "I just want it checked over as routine maintenance" to "It literally caught on fire" to "It shuts down intermittently" to "It fell off the truck and is in 8 pieces". Also, I easily get a couple jobs a week that are no fix situations because the "problem" was user error. For example, a common one is a customer saying their amp is cutting out. I test it, it's fine. I pull it apart and inspect it, nothing found. I wiggle connections, test it under different thermal conditions and loads etc, nada. After an hour or so of testing, cleaning, note taking and communicating with them about it they finally tell me their dog chewed one of their cables and ask if that might be the problem. Should I wear that cost given I didn't actually fix anything in the end?

- What say I? I say you live in an alternate reality and have probably never done a real day's work in your life.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 04:55:28 am by David Aurora »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, fmashockie, SteveThackery

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2024, 06:53:14 am »
There are different types of repair.  For OEM, it is easier, as there are little unknown.  For all 3rd party, they have to deal with unknown.  How to price this unknown?  Or more correctly, who is taking this risk for this unknown?   If it is all known, there is no risk, then thing can be "fair".  Pricing unknown, how to be fair?  To be fair is about rewarding the party taking the risk.  The party taking the risk, has to be the party to be rewarded  The way the pricng goes is the Repair shop should charge as high a price for "no fix no fee" work that he thinks is worthy for them to absorb the cost of no-fix.  It has to be definitely much higher than the hourly rate.  Not charging so is short-changing themselves.  If they think the risk is too high risk, they can just offer to charge hourly rate repair, or reject the work. 

As for people cheating on hour-counting that is about trust and business ethnics, and can happen in any trade and deal.  Those who did no value-add, would not be around long, and you can bet their names would pop out easily on the internet.  What is the first thing cheated customers do?  = try to give bad review online on every platform they can find.

The following users thanked this post: fmashockie, SteveThackery

Offline SteveThackeryTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2024, 08:58:00 am »

This is one of the most clueless posts I've seen in a while, I'm assuming this is a full Karen meltdown over something trivial that happened to you but I can't be bothered going through the whole thread looking for the story.

There is no background story. Actually, I did give an example about my car being diagnosed, but that must have been 25 years ago and it certainly isn't what this thread is about.  It was actually kicked off by a discussion in another thread, and is something I've been thinking about for a while.

The points you make have been made several times already, although I do think your point about most people having a queue of work is spot on and undermines what I said about stretching out jobs.  Once you've got a queue, you've got a guaranteed daily income and no incentive to stretch out your work.

- What say I? I say you live in an alternate reality and have probably never done a real day's work in your life.

Hey, come on - let's stay away from the ad hominems, shall we?  I'm not going to respond by saying what I think about you, because it has no place in this forum or this topic.

FYI: I had a long and successful career in the telecommunications industry, which included a period early on setting up and operating an electronics repair lab.  I loved doing electronic repairs.  After finishing my career in telecommunications I worked as a technical author for four years. Then I spent the next ten years in academia, getting a BEng (Hons) and an MSc in Audio Engineering.  After finishing the Master's I was awarded the Pro Vice Chancellor's Award in Science and Technology. I then worked as a lecturer at the University of Derby here in the UK, retiring four years ago.

As a background activity I've worked continuously as a clock and watch repairer for the past 45 years.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2024, 10:56:58 am »
For cars, passenger or cargo.
Semi service comes to the road side of a broken truck, passenger car is simply towed away.
Both are timed.

MOT test here.
Electrical vehicle's road capability is revoked if bottom has a dent under a battery.

Back in the day when computer had separate add-on cards as a norm and customer had only foggy understanding what is the problem the time went mainly for figuring out what is happening.
It was a bit problematic since the situation was new and different from what people were used to.

One case I visited a customer with initial info of button 'E' is not working.
Last vacuuming had disconnected the wall plug.
Setup battery was out and startup needed Y/N, here K/E.

Other case a monitor picture was jittering, it was fine last day, maybe Friday.
A cleaning patrol had lifted the wall wart from the floor and left it on top of the horizontal computer case.

Both of those were companies, accounting and transportation.
(5.25" floppy drive x2 and Mac something)
Both were also paying heavily, sort of, but no arguments.

Here selling work is not VAT deductible.

So 100/h work and 100 or 1000 of materials.
First long day and cheap materials, 100 * 10h work + 25% VAT + 100 material, so 1250 + 80.
Then simple swap, 100 * 1h work + 25% VAT + 1000 material, so 125 + 800.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-OR-X-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

The following users thanked this post: SteveThackery

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2024, 11:23:48 am »
Your 50$ assesment fee idea is flawed and I'll tell you why. If someone charges you 500$ for a non-fix then that is the assesment fee. He made an honnest attempt to repair, at some point figured out it wouldn't work, stopped the clock and made the bill.

If you want to avoid charging for a non-fix, the only economical option is to amortize the "non-fixed" time over the "fixed" time. Which means that instead of having the guy that brought in a non-fixable device pay, everybody pays for the non-fixable device. The optics of that may look better but that's really all.

The following users thanked this post: David Aurora, tooki, fmashockie

Offline David Aurora

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2024, 12:10:28 pm »

This is one of the most clueless posts I've seen in a while, I'm assuming this is a full Karen meltdown over something trivial that happened to you but I can't be bothered going through the whole thread looking for the story.

There is no background story. Actually, I did give an example about my car being diagnosed, but that must have been 25 years ago and it certainly isn't what this thread is about.  It was actually kicked off by a discussion in another thread, and is something I've been thinking about for a while.

The points you make have been made several times already, although I do think your point about most people having a queue of work is spot on and undermines what I said about stretching out jobs.  Once you've got a queue, you've got a guaranteed daily income and no incentive to stretch out your work.

Hey, come on - let's stay away from the ad hominems, shall we?  I'm not going to respond by saying what I think about you, because it has no place in this forum or this topic.

FYI: I had a long and successful career in the telecommunications industry, which included a period early on setting up and operating an electronics repair lab.  I loved doing electronic repairs.  After finishing my career in telecommunications I worked as a technical author for four years. Then I spent the next ten years in academia, getting a BEng (Hons) and an MSc in Audio Engineering.  After finishing the Master's I was awarded the Pro Vice Chancellor's Award in Science and Technology. I then worked as a lecturer at the University of Derby here in the UK, retiring four years ago.

As a background activity I've worked continuously as a clock and watch repairer for the past 45 years.

And there we have it just like I had guessed- you've spent your life in salary jobs. You're accustomed to being paid a flat rate whether you're working, drinking coffee or taking a piss. Repair work for you is simply a hobby, not a profession.

THIS IS NOT HOW IT IS FOR REPAIRERS.

When we're taking bookings, returning emails, sending invoices, spending hours on the phone with couriers chasing missing parts, doing banking, cleaning up the workshop and about a million other things we are not getting paid.

I had one recent customer who took up something like 4 entire hours of my time on the phone (between initial enquiry, constant calls mid job and 2 or 3 follow up calls). I think the total labour on his bill for the job itself was one hour. That's 10% of a standard workweek gone, completely unpaid just dealing with ONE customer. This is the reality of running a repair business and the kind of constant losses we need to eat up constantly.

We only get paid for the actual billable hours per job, so that time is extremely valuable. The idea that we should absorb even more costs because a customer simply wishes the repair was cheaper is preposterous. It reeks of both entitlement and an absolute detachment from the reality the rest of the world lives in.

The following users thanked this post: djsb, tooki, fmashockie

Offline David Aurora

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2024, 12:25:28 pm »
OK, I just went back through the thread and yeah, wow. Pretty cooked.

You cannot tell me this isn't a new Faringdon type troll. It's too batshit crazy to be real.

The following users thanked this post: Smokey, tooki, fmashockie

Offline fmashockie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2024, 12:45:25 pm »
There are different types of repair.  For OEM, it is easier, as there are little unknown.  For all 3rd party, they have to deal with unknown.  How to price this unknown?  Or more correctly, who is taking this risk for this unknown?   If it is all known, there is no risk, then thing can be "fair".  Pricing unknown, how to be fair?  To be fair is about rewarding the party taking the risk.  The party taking the risk, has to be the party to be rewarded  The way the pricng goes is the Repair shop should charge as high a price for "no fix no fee" work that he thinks is worthy for them to absorb the cost of no-fix.  It has to be definitely much higher than the hourly rate.  Not charging so is short-changing themselves.  If they think the risk is too high risk, they can just offer to charge hourly rate repair, or reject the work. 

As for people cheating on hour-counting that is about trust and business ethnics, and can happen in any trade and deal.  Those who did no value-add, would not be around long, and you can bet their names would pop out easily on the internet.  What is the first thing cheated customers do?  = try to give bad review online on every platform they can find.

Excellent point.  And these days why are people taking their devices to third party?  Because a) manufacturer won't fix or will for absurd money b) the manfacturer has made it extremely difficult for customer to repair it themselves 

There's a lot of risk to people like myself who are in that third party position trying to fix electronics. 

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2024, 01:32:51 pm »
OK, I just went back through the thread and yeah, wow. Pretty cooked.

You cannot tell me this isn't a new Faringdon type troll. It's too batshit crazy to be real.

You're doing it again - leave off the ad hominems, will you?

What does "cooked" mean?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2024, 01:39:55 pm »
The idea that we should absorb even more costs because a customer simply wishes the repair was cheaper is preposterous. It reeks of both entitlement and an absolute detachment from the reality the rest of the world lives in.

Another example of misrepresenting me. "Wishing the repair was cheaper" isn't anything I have said.  Please don't put words in my mouth.

I am advocating for the customer NOT being billed for a non-repair, UNLESS they have been warned in advance that this might happen and are willing to go ahead taking that risk.

There is an awful lot of noisy outrage in this thread, but my opinion is simple and summarised in that single sentence.  And nobody has yet made a good argument why that can't be standard practice.

Offline fmashockie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2024, 02:24:40 pm »
The idea that we should absorb even more costs because a customer simply wishes the repair was cheaper is preposterous. It reeks of both entitlement and an absolute detachment from the reality the rest of the world lives in.

Another example of misrepresenting me. "Wishing the repair was cheaper" isn't anything I have said.  Please don't put words in my mouth.

I am advocating for the customer NOT being billed for a non-repair, UNLESS they have been warned in advance that this might happen and are willing to go ahead taking that risk.

There is an awful lot of noisy outrage in this thread, but my opinion is simple and summarised in that single sentence.  And nobody has yet made a good argument why that can't be standard practice.

I think the problem is whether you believe it or not, you are paying for the expertise/knowledge in addition to the repair of your good.  You say you don't care if the tech has to poke/guess as long as he gets it right but you do.  You're saying you would trust your car to a mechanic who just pokes/guesses around as long as he fixes it?  Okay so he guesses right that one time.  How bout the next time you need your car fixed?  He cuts the brake line and then you die in firey crash.  So that is what you are paying for as well.  The expertise, the knowledge.  The work that is being performed (diagnostics, troubleshooting, restoration, soldering, etc) that gets done even if the repair doesn't get completed.  Have you ever had to go to court?  Well in most cases, you are paying for that attorney's time whether you are found guilty or innocent.  It is no different here.  We can use the car analogy again: you are still paying for the labor that goes into the repair of your car even if they don't fix it.  Doesn't mean you can't complain and say that is unfair.  We can say a lot of things are unfair, but that is the way it is.  And that is why you take it to a good/experienced tech who might be able to tell you right off the bat (as David A said) that this isn't worth repairing; it may not end in success; etc.  I don't think you deserve any hate for your opinion because it is a valid question to ask, but 'no fix, no fee' ain't fair either. 

The following users thanked this post: David Aurora, tooki, SteveThackery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2024, 04:37:29 pm »
don't think you deserve any hate for your opinion because it is a valid question to ask, but 'no fix, no fee' ain't fair either.

The no fix/no fee may not be fair on the technician, but paying a technician to not fix your appliance is not fair on the customer, either.

I've noticed a worrying number of contributors to this thread seem to have the attitude "I'm incredibly smart and wonderful and my time is incredibly valuable (even though I can't fix the appliance), so I'm going to charge the customer the full whack anyway, and they can eat shit" (to paraphrase, obviously!).  In other words all the risk is on the customer, none on the technician.

The arrogance I've seen in this thread has been extraordinary. "If I can't fix it, it can't possibly be because I'm incompetent, it must be the fault of the appliance" seems to embody the attitude of a worrying number of contributors.

Psycopaths and money-grabbing sociopaths might feel comfortable with that level of arrogance and the complete lack of empathy for the customer, but I don't.

That's why I've been begging these contributors to at least consider a small change of practice to one of the following:

1/ If there is a possibility that the customer might have to pay your standard labour charge but still walk away with a broken appliance, then please warn them in advance that this might happen.  Then it's up to them whether they want to take the risk.

2/ Tell the customer they must pay for an evaluation regardless of your findings, and then give them a price range for the repair.  The customer can choose to pay for the evaluation or walk away.  If they choose to pay, then the next thing they will get is price range for the repair, and again they can pay up or walk away.

Yes, the second option is more complicated so probably less attractive to some of the more bullish contributors.

I just think it is extraordinary how so many contributors to this thread are completely unwilling to even consider taking on ANY risk, yet they are happy for the customer to risk hundreds of dollars of their hard-earned money.  It doesn't sit well with me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 05:11:23 pm by SteveThackery »

Offline shabaz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2024, 05:59:38 pm »
Regarding:

That's why I've been begging these contributors to at least consider a small change of practice to one of the following:

1/ If there is a possibility that the customer might have to pay your standard labour charge but still walk away with a broken appliance, then please warn them in advance that this might happen.

Really, this will simply be part of the T&C's. That's a well-defined mechanism (and avoids the risk of the customer stating they didn't hear or see the warning or that it was too ambiguous).

I think customers will expect this anyway; it's very common for some things to be unfixable or beyond economic repair, and it's very common for customers to expect to pay for this anyway.

At some point, people have to learn to read contract terms, and notices on the premises of the businesses they visit, it's a life lesson that applies beyond electronic equipment repair.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, SteveThackery

Offline fmashockie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2024, 06:50:42 pm »
Okay now you're starting to be a bit unsufferable to discuss this topic with.  And are beginning to deserve some of the anger being directed towards you IMO:

The no fix/no fee may not be fair on the technician, but paying a technician to not fix your appliance is not fair on the customer, either.

I've noticed a worrying number of contributors to this thread seem to have the attitude "I'm incredibly smart and wonderful and my time is incredibly valuable (even though I can't fix the appliance), so I'm going to charge the customer the full whack anyway, and they can eat shit" (to paraphrase, obviously!).  In other words all the risk is on the customer, none on the technician.

The arrogance I've seen in this thread has been extraordinary. "If I can't fix it, it can't possibly be because I'm incompetent, it must be the fault of the appliance" seems to embody the attitude of a worrying number of contributors.

No one said anything like this.  Also, you keep using the analogy of an appliance.  You're discussing this with people who are mainly talking about the component level repair of PCBs.  Boards that generally don't have schematics available or have parts that have become obsolete.  It is a big difference.  You're being a dick by trying to say that you paraphrased anyone's stance opposite to yours with the kind of language you used in the quote above.

Psycopaths and money-grabbing sociopaths might feel comfortable with that level of arrogance and the complete lack of empathy for the customer, but I don't.

1/ If there is a possibility that the customer might have to pay your standard labour charge but still walk away with a broken appliance, then please warn them in advance that this might happen.  Then it's up to them whether they want to take the risk.

2/ Tell the customer they must pay for an evaluation regardless of your findings, and then give them a price range for the repair.  The customer can choose to pay for the evaluation or walk away.  If they choose to pay, then the next thing they will get is price range for the repair, and again they can pay up or walk away.

Yes, the second option is more complicated so probably less attractive to some of the more bullish contributors.

I just think it is extraordinary how so many contributors to this thread are completely unwilling to even consider taking on ANY risk, yet they are happy for the customer to risk hundreds of dollars of their hard-earned money.  It doesn't sit well with me.

The people on this thread who do this for a living very much care about the customer.  I'm not working independently full-time, but at my current job as an instrument engineer for a biotech company, I go above and beyond to ensure repair is done timely, cost effectively, and with full communication to the end user.  Anyone who doesn't won't last long in this business.  And multiple people who are opposed to your 'no fee, no fix' request already stated they inform their customers of the potential outcomes and keep them informed as the repair proceeds.  You keep moving the goal-posts of your argument and you sound like your talking about some specific instance where someone ripped you off.  Your 'no fee, no fix' stance also seems in line with someone who does this for a hobby and not as your full-time job (something you've also confirmed yourself eariler).  This will be my last response because at this point you sound like you're just trying to rile people up (i.e. trolling).  Is this what happens to people in the UK around the 4th of July?

Final observation: the fact that you are calling the people in this thread sociopaths as you continue to 'like' every post made in opposition to you is also ironic. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 07:07:08 pm by fmashockie »

The following users thanked this post: Smokey, tooki

Online Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2024, 07:27:05 pm »
Hmmmm..  a user who makes wacky posts and then proceeds to argue with everyone while also liking every post....
Doesn't that sound familiar.....   F...  Fa...  Fai..... Fair....   

The following users thanked this post: David Aurora, tooki, fmashockie

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2024, 09:53:00 pm »
don't think you deserve any hate for your opinion because it is a valid question to ask, but 'no fix, no fee' ain't fair either.

And what about your lack of empathy for the technician? You expect them to work for free!  :o

In the end, you are approaching this entire thing with the woefully mistaken premise that a repair is a thing you can buy. It isn’t. It’s a service, and an unpredictable one at that because the job itself (as in, the work and materials required) are not known in advance. 

You are also making the assumption that technicians don’t already lay out clearly to their customers what happens if a repair cannot be performed. But the fact is, they generally do. A given technician will lay out whether you are paying for their time (equivalent to a factory worker who is paid by the hour) or for a particular result (equivalent to a factory worker who is paid piecework). Then you take it or leave it. And you’ll understand that each model has its pros and cons for the consumer. It’s not as black and white as you clearly think it is.

So in the end, this is a very disingenuous discussion on your part, because it’s predicated on falsehoods and baseless assumptions (or at minimum, gross overgeneralization). One of those is that technicians are greedy “sociopaths” who view their customers as little more than ATMs. Why would you assume this? Seems like classic projection to me. And to the many honest technicians who care for their customers and often go above and beyond what is actually required, it’s no wonder we take umbrage at your insinuation.

There is arrogance in this thread, but it has a singular source, and that source is you.

The following users thanked this post: fmashockie

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2024, 11:26:21 pm »
Back when I worked at the TV Studio, we had a programme which purported to investigate if customers were being ripped off by TV repairers.

Instead of consulting the large numbers of experienced Techs & EEs in the Network, the Producers hired an outside engineer, with
"a pretty high opinion of himself" to put a fault on a TV, & see how long the repairers took to fix it.

I know the show you're talking about and it always pissed me off. I recall ones where a VCR had the capstan belt flicked off, another where the thermostat on a fridge was disconnected and more. They were not genuine faults, rather they were shock TV to rile up audiences and gain ratings. They should have been ashamed to portray the service industry so poorly.

The following users thanked this post: fmashockie

Offline David Aurora

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2024, 11:53:12 pm »
Hmmmm..  a user who makes wacky posts and then proceeds to argue with everyone while also liking every post....

I'm 98% convinced at this point that this is what's going on here. Nobody is this fucking stupid, it has to be a wind up. And if the dunce cap fits...

The following users thanked this post: tooki, fmashockie

Offline Runco990

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2024, 01:30:05 am »
Here's a fun one....  And why I say if you don't like something, learn to do it yourself.

3 years ago I moved into my current house.  Over the winter I found a leak in the roof.  It was pretty bad.  This house has concrete tile, for reference.
In the spring I had a roofer look at it.  He said, and I quote:  "I can probably fix this in an hour, but I'm not going to, UNLESS you agree to a new roof next summer."  (At $55,000!! )

I calmly told him I can't commit to that and I don't much take to extortion.  Thank you for your time.

I did my research, took down the tiles, put new Ice and water barrier up, put the tiles back down and what do you know.... it's fixed!  Total outlay: One roll of water and ice membrane, nails, one ladder and a few days of MY time.  Total cost... about $200.

Don't like it?  LEARN TO DO IT YOURSELF!!!  I practice what I preach.  I have repaired my furnace, AC unit, washing machine, all the faucets in the house, roof, the DEAD spa in the backyard, rebuilt the in sink garbage disposal, repaired some duct work, corrected a few "what the hell???" fixes in the house and repaired 2 split sprinkler pipes... oh yeah, also fixed the garage doors after getting a quote that would choke a horse to death.

I just do it myself and LEARN to do it.   That is also how I got so good at repairing other people's stuff.  There ARE exceptions:  I had my old house painted.  I could do it, but in the time someone else painted it, I sat on my shop stool and worked.  I made DOUBLE what it cost me to paint the house, instead of NOTHING had I DONE SO MYSELF.

So if you don't agree with pretty standard business practices, as TIME is Money....  and we only have so much time to give before we die, then learn to do it yourself because you really SHOULD.... and only YOU can decide what your limited time is worth.  And then if you DON'T succeed at a task, you have no one to blame but yourself.  No fix, no pay.  Remember, we ALL trade part of our LIFE itself for money, by working and earning a check.  That time is irrevocable.  You will wake up one morning, old and tired and worn out.  You better get something for it to be worth sacrificing your LIFE.

I get the argument, but I fully understand the value of time and make a point of thanking other people for THEIR time.

Trump said it well when he was told to exercise:   "I have only so many heartbeats, I'm not wasting any of them running on a treadmill"

Cheers!

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2024, 07:40:28 am »
Trump said it well when he was told to exercise:   "I have only so many heartbeats, I'm not wasting any of them running on a treadmill"

I have to disagree with Trump here. Even if you would have a finite number of heartbeats, exercising makes your heart go fast during the exercise period, while slowing it down while not exercising. As most people have much more off-exercise time than on-exercise time this would give you more total hearttime. Which you then can spend repairing more stuff  ;D

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2024, 07:54:04 am »

Sorry - I have no idea what this alludes to.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2024, 07:55:39 am »

I'm 98% convinced at this point that this is what's going on here. Nobody is this fucking stupid, it has to be a wind up. And if the dunce cap fits...

I am - I am this fucking stupid, apparently. It's no wind-up.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2024, 08:38:21 am »
Final observation: the fact that you are calling the people in this thread sociopaths as you continue to 'like' every post made in opposition to you is also ironic.

It is not ironic!  "Liking" a post is my way of saying "thank you" to everyone who takes the time to contribute. And I am genuinely grateful, regardless of how vigorously we disagree. 

By the way, I didn't call anyone here a sociopath. I said that sociopaths "might feel comfortable" with the behaviour I was referring to because it showed a lack of empathy with the customer.  It's a way of drawing attention to what seems to me like extraordinary behaviour.

[/quote]
There is arrogance in this thread, but it has a singular source, and that source is you.
[/quote]

Wow! I don't believe I have shown any arrogance at all, but maybe we define arrogance differently.  I think there HAS been A LOT of arrogance and lack of empathy from the professional repairers in this thread.  For example, the very thought that a technician might sometimes end up doing work without pay fills them with horror and outrage, but they cannot seem to understand that this is EXACTLY ANALOGOUS to the customer paying money and getting nothing back.  The latter is fine, apparently, but not the former.

I know exactly what my opponents are going to say: "They aren't getting nothing back, they're getting half a day of my highly skilled work".  At which point I remind you of this, which I have been saying consistently from the beginning. 

NOBODY WANTS TO BUY YOUR LABOUR, THEY WANT TO BUY THE FRUITS OF YOUR LABOUR!  AND IF THERE ARE NO FRUITS, WHAT ARE YOU CHARGING THEM FOR?

Also, you keep using the analogy of an appliance.  You're discussing this with people who are mainly talking about the component level repair of PCBs.  Boards that generally don't have schematics available or have parts that have become obsolete.  It is a big difference. 

My use of the term "appliance" was just a generic term to refer to anything that needs fixing, in the context of this thread anything electronic.  It isn't an analogy.

I can't let the absurd claim that the only arrogance in this thread is from me. I'll show you plenty of examples later on.  Meanwhile, what's this "F... Fa... Fai" thing all about?

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2024, 09:19:08 am »
Nope. The customer doesn't always expect a simple pay money = fixed item. Customers often want an honest assessment and expect to pay for it. That's my experience anyway.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline DeepLink

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2024, 11:33:49 am »
NOBODY WANTS TO BUY YOUR LABOUR, THEY WANT TO BUY THE FRUITS OF YOUR LABOUR!  AND IF THERE ARE NO FRUITS, WHAT ARE YOU CHARGING THEM FOR?

My employer does it every day, he pays me by the hour for developing "the big next thing the world can't live without"
If I fail, I still get paid
If I succeeds, I get paid and he get rich
He takes some risk 

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf