Author Topic: CDVG_E440 chip info?  (Read 380 times)

Offline Erik LanderTopic starter

CDVG_E440 chip info?
« on: January 17, 2024, 01:27:35 am »
I am debugging an intermittent problem on a 1998 volkswagen instrument cluster.  The MCU that runs this thing has a logo of ITT and a part number of CDVG-E440  then other numbers below that.  Has anyone here ever heard of this chip or family?  A fairly exhaustive crawl of the net has yielded precisely nothing.  I did find out that ITT Microelectronis was acquired by Micronas in 1997,  but there is no info about any ITT legacy devices on their website.  Any clues will be most appreciated.

Erik Lander

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: CDVG_E440 chip info?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 01:55:24 am »
well   it may be custom made,  i've seen on some VW threads year 2010 questions about this mcu,  and sadly no answers  ??

you shoud try on some VW forums ??

good luck

Offline Erik LanderTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 02:54:40 am »
Thanks for the pic,  that's the chip.  I hadn't considered the possibility of a custom chip,  I have searched the VW forums and while there are lots of threads about problems with clusters using this chip, there is no useful info.  There are whispers about it being a Programmable System on a Chip - PSOC  but even VW's volume wouldn't seem to amortize a full custom design, more like a semi custom arrangement of function blocks around a core.  Big NRE up front but easily justified for a couple hundred thousand units.

And there were comments about professional shops that repair these clusters being able to talk to that chip, which indicates that they had sort of cracked it.  I'm not interested in reverse engineering it,  just enough  to determine if the problem lies elsewhere.  The tach and speedo are stepper motors, and the drivers are inside the chip. 

I was hoping to not have to start from zero on this,  I do have a benchtop lab at home,  fast scopes, logic analyzers etc,  but not really suited to mobile applications.  Perhaps time to buy a Picoscope.

Erik

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 03:20:16 am »
sometimes people find or hack stuff as you know, and get a good experience out of this, maybe some found out the protocols, or a way to connect a jtag an spi  programmer etc ...  or found out some rare datasheet   or even some people at VW may have leaked some stuff

or even  uncap the ic ???  anything is possible

we dont know ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf