Author Topic: Socketing a DAC?  (Read 924 times)

Offline PhotomanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • PrePress Express
Socketing a DAC?
« on: October 19, 2020, 06:36:30 pm »
Hi,
I was wondering what the consensus is on socketing a DIP DAC?
I am repairing a board with an oldie, AD7538 14 bit DAC.  As a just in case, id like to socket it in case it fails again.
I bought some pin turned gold flash coated sockets.  Basically im wondering if that will change anything.

On that theme, same for a AD713 op amp and a AD586 precision 5v reference.
I wanted to change out the 5v reference for a higher stability one and see if it makes a difference between the 2.

I just don't want to keep subjecting the board to desoldering and resoldering the chips if I can avoid it.

Thanks for the help!

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Socketing a DAC?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 07:16:39 pm »
gold plated socket are good against oxydation,  putting the chips on the socket is okay, but if you plan to remove them many times, you will create some wear

The following users thanked this post: Photoman

• Regular Contributor
    • PrePress Express
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 11:28:01 pm »
Thanks!  My goal (famous last words) is only once or twice.
Im more concerned with affecting the op amp or the dac with maybe a whiff of extra capacitance or resistance.

Offline oPossum

• Super Contributor
  • Very dangerous - may attack at any time
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 11:56:04 pm »
Use machined pin sockets if you want the highest reliability. More secure mechanically and much less likely to have problems with contact resistance over time. Make sure pins are well aligned before pushing the chip into the socket.

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 08:48:33 am »
I'm currently ripping apart some high end audio measurement system (25 years old and limited to 500Hz-20kHz by software, so unfortunately not useful) - the ADC is socketed, the two DACs (AD1862) are soldered.
Since the manufacturer used only the very best parts available (Jensen audio transformers etc. pp.) and presumably knew what they were doing, it might have been a better choice (noise-wise) to solder them directly.
As the resolution of this 20bit DAC is much higher than your 14bit DAC, noise might in fact not be a problem, so I'd just use a socket. (I know I will use a socket for mine, once I get them desoldered - a true pain with a multilayer PCB and some groundig planes...)

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 08:55:00 am »
gold plated socket are good against oxydation,  putting the chips on the socket is okay, but if you plan to remove them many times, you will create some wear
Unless IC pins are gold plated as well, advantage is dubious. And if IC is tin plated, most likely is worse than tin plated due to connection of dissimilar materials.

• Regular Contributor
    • PrePress Express
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 08:03:20 pm »
Thanks everyone for the help.  I will start my repairs with the machined pin sockets that just arrived from DigiKey.
Now to figure out the cause of the failure....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf