Author Topic: Can You Identify This Xbox 360 Controller Potentiometer?  (Read 6747 times)

Offline seancsnmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Can You Identify This Xbox 360 Controller Potentiometer?
« on: September 19, 2015, 08:35:43 pm »
I'm trying to replace the potentiometers on the analog sticks of an Xbox 360 controller, but I am not sure what kind of pot they use. It looks like a $0.50 part but I just can't seem to find similar pots on Digikey or Google in general. I can purchase full analog stick replacements, but that seems like a pretty big waste considering that the analog sticks in question work perfectly fine (mechanically).

A replacement analog stick can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7Y5XVY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=AFIC2PTYP66NX

Attached are some photos of the potentiometer I want to replace (the component on the left).  As can be seen, it is a 10k pot. The problem I'm having is that the angular range over which the pot goes through its values only covers about 60%  of the range of the analog stick in the controller. I have no idea why this is, but this is the case for both analog sticks. Older wireless Xbox 360 controllers actually do have the full range, but it looks like the potentiometers changed from that version to the wired version that I just purchased (they are a different color). Opening the potentiometer on the new controller up reveals that the narrower functional region seems to be intrinsic to the design of the pot itself.

This is just speculation, but maybe Microsoft lost its original supplier and started making 360 controllers with a different pot without making sure the functionality was identical, or maybe I just got a dud. Either way, I like the satisfaction of fixing things myself rather than going through the hassle of RMA, but I'm not sure what to look for. Any wise insight would be appreciated.

Offline picandmix

• Frequent Contributor

Offline seancsnmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Can You Identify This Xbox 360 Controller Potentiometer?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 07:33:48 pm »
Thanks. It looks like it might be what I'm looking for.

For my (an anyone else's) future reference, here's a few links that might be useful:

http://www.polyshine.cn/ProductDetail-216.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf