Author Topic: Sewing machine power board  (Read 361 times)

Offline Robert ATopic starter

• Contributor
Sewing machine power board
« on: Yesterday at 03:31:33 pm »
Hi hive mind. I’m trying to fix a sewing machine power board and I’ve found a power resistor that’s blown. I have a circuit diagram (IMG_0056) and the resistor in question is R10 2.2ohm 3W. Firstly what is its function? Is it current limiting, voltage limiting or something else? IMG_0056, for illustration purposes only, shows the type of resistor in the circuit but at 47Kohm obviously I can’t use it. Can I use, nearest value wise, this resistor that I have got, in IMG_0058? What would it’s impact be on the circuit if I were to use it?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:36:06 pm by Robert A »

Offline Bryn

• Regular Contributor
    • mindsConnected
Re: Sewing machine power board
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 03:34:46 pm »
I don't see the images attached (as your post was supposed to refer to them). Could you try reuploading them please?
mindsConnected
Alternate tech forum for all... recently reopened (as of 15/9/24)
We welcome engineers also!

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:36:42 pm »
Sorry about that, don’t know why it didn’t attach them.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:47:42 pm »
Is it possible to get the rest of the circuit diagram?  It would be good to see what those power rails are powering.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:21:27 pm »
Is it possible to get the rest of the circuit diagram?  It would be good to see what those power rails are powering.

Here’s the full circuit diagram

The following users thanked this post: Whales

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 04:39:06 pm »
Thankyou.

At the top we have proper isolated power supplies.

The bottom section is non-isolated, touching any part may lead to shock.  I suspect this bottom power supply is mainly for driving the motor.  Its design is a bit confusing.

Q1. What is U138 (two big solid marone rectangles)?  It might be a transformer (which means T110 can only be driven in pulses).

Q2. Is this an original circuit diagram made by the manufacturer (should be perfect), or one put together by reverse engineering the board (might have mistakes)?

EDIT: I think it's accurate.  Just laid out a bit too strangely for my 2AM brain to comprehend, sorry  ;)

Transistor T110 directly drives the motor as a high-side switch.  The isolated power rail in the middle of the diagram lets it be used this way.

This is in turn controlled through transformer U138 by transistor T113.  The transformer means you can only turn the motor on in pulses, not continuously.  I'm not sure why they went for this design (seems unnecessarily expensive and complicated, maybe its still cheaper than a better motor?), but it works.

The only purpose I can think of for your 2.2ohm R10 is a fusible resistor.  Maybe it also limits inrush currents to the motor.  If R10 is blown then replacing it might only be a temporary fix, there might be a short circuit elsewhere in the bottom half of this diagram, not sure.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:50:34 pm by Whales »

The following users thanked this post: Robert A

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 04:53:31 pm »
Sidenote: T114 (mosfet at the bottom) is a curious design detail.  It shorts out the motor.  Which will blow things up if T110 is also turned on at the same time. 

I wonder if it's an intentional self destruct feature for safety compliance or an interlock?  It is wired to connector P161 but the pin is labelled as 'x', so I am not sure if that pin is connected to anything else.  Would be worth checking just in case this is why your resistor blew.

EDIT: yeah the two 'x' pins would be useful as part of an interlock switch.  If someone opens the machine whilst the motor is powered then it could self destruct the circuit to stop the motor as quickly as possible.  Could perhaps this have been why it stopped working?  Hopefully only R10 is blown.

Replacing R10 with an actual fuse might also work, but I can only guess as to the value.  I don't know the wattage or type of the 2.2ohm resistor originally used.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:59:45 pm by Whales »

Online DeepLink

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:36:16 am »
R10 is likely as fusible resistor, but also helps with inrush current limitation at power up
Fusible resistors (https://www.elprocus.com/fusible-resistor/) are available, sometimes called flameproof resistor or safety resistor
https://www.digikey.dk/da/products/detail/vishay-beyschlag-draloric-bc-components/PR03000202208JAC00/7350732

The circuit is quite straight forward
A DC voltage is present at C52-C54
T110 is the switch in a stepdown switch-mode converter
Current pass through L128 (and motor)
D86 is the current path when T110 is off

T114 is a stop function (brake) for the motor (yes - not intended to be in use when T110 is on)

You can replace R10 and remove D85 for testing (if T114 is shorted or circuit x-x defective, it will burn R10 again)

Remember that the circuit around the motor is not isolated from mains and high voltage are present
Monitor the DC voltage at C52-C54 after power off - don't touch the circuit before R11 has discharged the bulk capacitors
« Last Edit: Today at 05:43:31 am by DeepLink »

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:11:06 pm »
Sidenote: T114 (mosfet at the bottom) is a curious design detail.  It shorts out the motor.  Which will blow things up if T110 is also turned on at the same time. 

I wonder if it's an intentional self destruct feature for safety compliance or an interlock?  It is wired to connector P161 but the pin is labelled as 'x', so I am not sure if that pin is connected to anything else.  Would be worth checking just in case this is why your resistor blew.

EDIT: yeah the two 'x' pins would be useful as part of an interlock switch.  If someone opens the machine whilst the motor is powered then it could self destruct the circuit to stop the motor as quickly as possible.  Could perhaps this have been why it stopped working?  Hopefully only R10 is blown.

Replacing R10 with an actual fuse might also work, but I can only guess as to the value.  I don't know the wattage or type of the 2.2ohm resistor originally used.

To answer your questions:-
1) U138 is a transformer
2) not an original circuit diagram
3) C50 was a Rifa capacitor which had blown, might explain R10 blowing too
4) connector P161 is for a daughter board, pin 8 goes to a LM324 quad Obama and pin 9 goes to a LM339 quad diff comparator.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:35:09 pm »
R10 is likely as fusible resistor, but also helps with inrush current limitation at power up
Fusible resistors (https://www.elprocus.com/fusible-resistor/) are available, sometimes called flameproof resistor or safety resistor
https://www.digikey.dk/da/products/detail/vishay-beyschlag-draloric-bc-components/PR03000202208JAC00/7350732

The circuit is quite straight forward
A DC voltage is present at C52-C54
T110 is the switch in a stepdown switch-mode converter
Current pass through L128 (and motor)
D86 is the current path when T110 is off

T114 is a stop function (brake) for the motor (yes - not intended to be in use when T110 is on)

You can replace R10 and remove D85 for testing (if T114 is shorted or circuit x-x defective, it will burn R10 again)

Remember that the circuit around the motor is not isolated from mains and high voltage are present
Monitor the DC voltage at C52-C54 after power off - don't touch the circuit before R11 has discharged the bulk capacitors

Thanks for the info. C50 was a Rifa capacitor which had blown, I guess took R10 with it and hopefully nothing else. I’ve removed D85 and T114 tests good, so looks like we’re ok.

Online DeepLink

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: Today at 03:40:56 pm »
Thanks for the info. C50 was a Rifa capacitor which had blown, I guess took R10 with it and hopefully nothing else. I’ve removed D85 and T114 tests good, so looks like we’re ok.

Failure in C50 should not blow R10

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Today at 03:47:24 pm »
the motor rotor should be visually checked  ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf