Author Topic: New Scope Probes  (Read 8441 times)

Offline eddy66t6Topic starter

• Contributor
New Scope Probes
« on: April 25, 2013, 04:25:08 pm »
Hey guys, just picked up a new Tektronix TDS 320 for home use there, but... no probes! Any suggestions for a decent brand sub 100 Euros? Pomona 4550B seems to be coming up a bit....

Many thanks...

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New Scope Probes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 06:06:39 pm »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 06:19:58 pm »
Hey guys, just picked up a new Tektronix TDS 320 for home use there, but... no probes! Any suggestions for a decent brand sub 100 Euros? Pomona 4550B seems to be coming up a bit....

Many thanks...
Get some Testec probes. They are excellent and cost little money.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 06:50:19 pm »
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 01:11:30 am »
It is fine to make your own probes or get no brand ones but it is good to at least have one of the real ones to use as a reference. You can have it as a standard to compare the other ones you build yourself.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 01:32:35 am »
Even the 'good' probes are just a needle in a 'pen' attached to a wire. There really is no difference. Probes whether they are cheap or expensive will wear out and need replacing after a few years of use.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 01:57:59 am »
Even the 'good' probes are just a needle in a 'pen' attached to a wire. There really is no difference. Probes whether they are cheap or expensive will wear out and need replacing after a few years of use.

I respectfully disagree. High quality 10x probes include carefully designed attenuation and compensation circuitry, special lossy cable, high quality material selection, etc.  I have many Tektronix passive probes that are in excess of 20 years old, well used, and still in very usable shape.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline skipjackrc4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 02:44:49 am »
I respectfully disagree. High quality 10x probes include carefully designed attenuation and compensation circuitry, special lossy cable, high quality material selection, etc.  I have many Tektronix passive probes that are in excess of 20 years old, well used, and still in very usable shape.

This.  I have some old Tek probes that are still in excellent shape, and they can be dirt cheap on eBay (at least for the 100MHz ones).  Even disregarding electrical properties, using a well built probe is much nicer than some cheap thing. 

Offline eddy66t6Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 11:53:28 am »
What a response, a lot to take in! Looking at a few items on the 'bay now, and had never considered making a set, might be a little something for the upcoming holidays!

All the same, borrowed a set of probes to check it out, it doesn't seem to be a bad scope for 250 quid!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:51:57 pm »

This.  I have some old Tek probes that are still in excellent shape, and they can be dirt cheap on eBay (at least for the 100MHz ones).  Even disregarding electrical properties, using a well built probe is much nicer than some cheap thing.
Buying used probes is like buying used underwear. I'm not kidding; who would sell a perfectly good probe or their comfortable underwear? There is so much that can be wrong with a probe that you're always better off buying new ones. As soon as a probe starts to develop intermittant problems I throw the whole thing in the bin after I cut the wire so nobody gets tempted to pick it up and use it again.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 02:12:48 pm »
Buying used probes is like buying used underwear. I'm not kidding; who would sell a perfectly good probe or their comfortable underwear? There is so much that can be wrong with a probe that you're always better off buying new ones. As soon as a probe starts to develop intermittant problems I throw the whole thing in the bin after I cut the wire so nobody gets tempted to pick it up and use it again.

How about your kid or whoever inherits when you passed away suddenly leaving them clueless with all your cool gadgets, and all of those stuffs ended with at pennies priced at fleabay ?  >:D

Yes, I'm a proud owner of old Tek 400 Mhz passive probes, bought used, dirt cheap and still in pristine condition.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:15:03 pm by BravoV »

alm

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 02:39:42 pm »
You can apply this same argument to other types of used equipment. How would sell a perfectly good Fluke 87? Who would sell a perfectly good Tek 2465? People that bought new equipment, no longer need it (company downsized, outsourced engineering/production, hobbyists changing priorities), or companies that go bankrupt / people that die.

I've bought quite a number of used probes, some of them Tek probes from the eighties, and the only intermittent one was a cheap 100 MHz switchable one that was worth less than $50 when new. A lot can go wrong with a probe during its life, but a lot can also go wrong during design/manufacturing. Designing and manufacturing a passive probe, especially one with a bandwidth exceeding 100 MHz, is a non-trivial task. The tip of those Tek probes does not contain a simple of the shelf SMT resistor/cap, for example. The wire isn't RG-174 either. I would not trust an 'off-brand' probe without careful testing. Brands I would trust are HP/Agilent, Tektronix, Lecroy and PMK.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 05:13:59 pm »
You can apply this same argument to other types of used equipment. How would sell a perfectly good Fluke 87? Who would sell a perfectly good Tek 2465?
A piece of equipment usually sits quietly on a bench. A probe is moved constantly, tossed around, maybe run over by an office chair, etc.

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 04:14:45 am »
I'm about to get a scope on eBay, but they almost all come without probes... So I'm currently debating between some new BK Precision probes (for $50) and Cal Test probes ($40).

Funny how the probes cost more than the scope will likely... As for used Tek and other brand probes on eBay, they almost always are out (and go) for just as much... and somehow I've got the feeling that a new BK Precision for $50 will mean more measurement confidence than an ancient Tek for $120...

(But feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.)

Offline JoeyP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 05:12:57 pm »
You can apply this same argument to other types of used equipment. How would sell a perfectly good Fluke 87? Who would sell a perfectly good Tek 2465? People that bought new equipment, no longer need it (company downsized, outsourced engineering/production, hobbyists changing priorities), or companies that go bankrupt / people that die.

I've bought quite a number of used probes, some of them Tek probes from the eighties, and the only intermittent one was a cheap 100 MHz switchable one that was worth less than $50 when new. A lot can go wrong with a probe during its life, but a lot can also go wrong during design/manufacturing. Designing and manufacturing a passive probe, especially one with a bandwidth exceeding 100 MHz, is a non-trivial task. The tip of those Tek probes does not contain a simple of the shelf SMT resistor/cap, for example. The wire isn't RG-174 either. I would not trust an 'off-brand' probe without careful testing. Brands I would trust are HP/Agilent, Tektronix, Lecroy and PMK.

+1 Here to. There is much more to a probe than a pin connected to a wire. I've compared performance and drawn out the circuits of a number of different probes, and can say that the difference is dramatic - both in mechanical integrity and electrical performance. Even the coax cable itself varies considerably from one model to another. The one-hung-low probes tend to be total crap in both dimensions. A well made Agilent or Tek probe can last many years in my experience. Yes, you could buy a worn out probe. You could also buy a worn out <insert anything here>.

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 06:16:55 pm »
... I've got the feeling that a new BK Precision for $50 will mean more measurement confidence than an ancient Tek for $120...

I disagree.  I have half a dozen or so used Tek probes and they all still seem to meet the original specs (P6109B, P6114B, P6139A, ?).  I don't think I paid more than $65 for any of them; some were a lot less.  I get the impression that BK Precision simply rebadges whatever gear they can find for a good price.

Offline JoeyP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 04:55:34 pm »
... I've got the feeling that a new BK Precision for $50 will mean more measurement confidence than an ancient Tek for $120...

I disagree.  I have half a dozen or so used Tek probes and they all still seem to meet the original specs (P6109B, P6114B, P6139A, ?).  I don't think I paid more than $65 for any of them; some were a lot less.  I get the impression that BK Precision simply rebadges whatever gear they can find for a good price.

I've had similar experience. In fact, I view "BK Precision" as an oxymoron. They were ahead of there time decades ago, in that they were offering crappy chinese quality products long before anything was made in china :)

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 11:08:23 pm »
It's only a 100MHz scope, and a fairly noisy one (although still nice).  It's perfectly OK to get $5 probes from eBay.   Or if you must have the readout pin, look for used Tek probes - either the P6109 mentioned, or the P6105.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 01:49:14 pm »

I've had similar experience. In fact, I view "BK Precision" as an oxymoron. They were ahead of there time decades ago, in that they were offering crappy chinese quality products long before anything was made in china :)
BK does re-badge, it's true. But not just cheap quality Chinese stuff. I have a nice BK DMM that is a re-badged Metrix (France) brand. The BK branded ones did cost significantly less than the OEM Metrix ones. Who knows why. I would buy BK again (after doing research of course).

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 02:23:41 pm »
BK does re-badge, it's true. But not just cheap quality Chinese stuff. I have a nice BK DMM that is a re-badged Metrix (France) brand. The BK branded ones did cost significantly less than the OEM Metrix ones. Who knows why. I would buy BK again (after doing research of course).

Lol yea, all the BK crap I've seen on eBay... My favorite is this little while analog portable scope that looks EXACTLY THE SAME regardless of the brand name (Tenma, BK Precision, etc.) XD Also its older brother, the one with the mustard-colored front panel.

Anyway, I bought a pair of Chinese probes ($15 for a pair), even if I get better ones they should be good for backup... I'll keep a lookout for brand ones on eBay.

(EDIT: The probes turned out to be from Hantek. They look and feel extremely well-made.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:46:31 pm by Sigmoid »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf