Author Topic: Problems with an oscilloscope's horizontal/vertical amplifier  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Gip-GipTopic starter

• Contributor
I'm working on an old Heathkit IOW-102G and I have run into trouble with the horizontal/vertical amp. I recapped everything hoping it would work but when I went through the testing instructions in the manual the collector voltage on Q208 is 10 when it's supposed to be around 100. Even worse, when I check the Vertical amp the voltage is >150 on Q9 and ~40 on Q10. I'm going to replace some suspicious transistors, but other than that do you guys have any experience/suggestions?

Manual's right here: https://archive.org/details/HeathkitIO102Manual

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Problems with an oscilloscope's horizontal/vertical amplifier
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 12:56:37 am »
Just general troubleshooting advice. Wrong voltage appearing at a collector of a transistor does NOT always mean it's bad. Is it biased right? Did any components around the transistor fail or change value? Are there dodgy solder joints?  Are you sure you respected the polarity of the caps you replaced? 

These are some of the things you should be asking yourself. When making measurements, do a little basic analysis. See if the measurements jive with basic ohms law and circuit behavior.

For example, where you are reading a 10v collector voltage instead of 100...   Is the supply voltage right? Do other measurements jive with a lot night collector current, or did the collector load change? 

Learning to think this way when troubleshooting will give you a a greater understanding of the circuit and become more effective at debugging problems.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 02:57:11 am by w2aew »
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf