Author Topic: Electrolytic caps again!!  (Read 1760 times)

Offline DataforensicsTopic starter

• Supporter
Electrolytic caps again!!
« on: March 03, 2018, 03:50:56 pm »
HI,

So my 2011 Electronics Line Infinite Prime alarm panel started playing up last week.
Clicking noise from speaker, flashing red board led and pulsing keypad backlight.
No difference running from backup or mains, keypad unresponsive and would not arm.
Sent tech support email asking for help, such as meaning of board led, no response, not even a 'buy a new one'

Anyway it has three electrolytic capacitors so I ordered replacements for all and after fitting all working again.

Two made by Hitano and one by CapXon.

Physically they look fine, no bulging and all three around 10% low and the worst esr 1.4 Ohms on a 47uF (the CapXon)

Not sure I would have failed them on test alone.

Now I have a friends NAD C350 amplifier to fix and according to interwebs again common fault is protection circuit electrolytics.

At least a schematic is available though, unlike for the alarm panel.

Here the two main PSU filter caps (22000uF 63V) have obvious bulges though.

Just mentioning.

Tony

Offline Ray Gianelli

• Contributor
Re: Electrolytic caps again!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 01:06:01 am »
I've had them measure fine for value and ESR, but are leaky.  Had a cassette deck that wouldn't record, there were separate Dolby chips for each channel.  Each one had a leaky cap on it.  Took me a while to find, since I was looking for something common to both channels, like power supply issues.

Offline oventech

• Contributor
Re: Electrolytic caps again!!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 02:28:32 am »
If you need the repair information on the Nad C350. https://www.vintageshifi.com/repertoire-pdf/Nad-2.php   Just download the files you need. SM + SM extra. Have heard about the problems with that part of the unit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf