Author Topic: PCMC+PSFB on STM32 is it possible?  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Alex-labTopic starter

• Contributor
PCMC+PSFB on STM32 is it possible?
« on: June 07, 2024, 07:39:27 am »
Hi,

Up to now I have been using STM32G4 to control phase-shift full-bridge (PSFB) in voltage control mode (VCM). Now I would like to add peak current control mode (PCMC) for better performance, but it appears that none of STM32G4 is capable with such capabilities. At least I was unable to find the way for it.
Did I miss something? What is the best way for such digitally controlled power supply?
I have thought about some hybrid, a digital+analogue approach by coupling STM32 with something like UC28950, but I still believe that should be a better way...

Thanks,

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
Re: PCMC+PSFB on STM32 is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2024, 01:32:49 pm »
I also found the STM32 PWM poor in terms of facilities and adaptability, of course they use the same block of IP in all there offerings so they are all the same.
I thought of pairing it with an FPGA but that's getting expensive so in the end I changed to the motor control variety of the PIC24EP series, unfortunately a different IDE and programmer/debugger to pay for.

Offline uer166

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2024, 07:59:12 pm »
Hi,

Up to now I have been using STM32G4 to control phase-shift full-bridge (PSFB) in voltage control mode (VCM). Now I would like to add peak current control mode (PCMC) for better performance, but it appears that none of STM32G4 is capable with such capabilities. At least I was unable to find the way for it.
Did I miss something? What is the best way for such digitally controlled power supply?
I have thought about some hybrid, a digital+analogue approach by coupling STM32 with something like UC28950, but I still believe that should be a better way...

Thanks,

HRTIM with reset event inputs (for your peak current limit) should be able to do this, the regular advanced timers are way too limiting. Have you looked into that peripheral?

Offline mtwieg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2024, 02:01:43 pm »
At a glance at the reference manual, it looks like the STM32G4 has all the requisite building blocks for doing current mode control:
1. PWM synthesis controlled by external events
2. Analog comparators which can generate events for the PWM synthesis based on the sensed current
3. DACs which can connect to the inputs of the comparators (12 bits should be sufficient)
4. DACs can be set up to generate ramp/sawtooth waves to implement slope compensation

I've worked a lot with C2000 MCUs which are aimed at such applications, and the feature set looks comparable. Actually configuring these peripherals to work together properly is definitely not straightforward though. I would hope that STM's documentation is better than TI's...

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2024, 05:19:02 pm »
At a glance at the reference manual, it looks like the STM32G4 has all the requisite building blocks for doing current mode control:
1. PWM synthesis controlled by external events
2. Analog comparators which can generate events for the PWM synthesis based on the sensed current
3. DACs which can connect to the inputs of the comparators (12 bits should be sufficient)
4. DACs can be set up to generate ramp/sawtooth waves to implement slope compensation

Yes. First time I did this (on STM32F334), all of the mentioned* many years ago setting it all up wasn't too difficult, in principle... just that ST, as usual, has some silicon bugs/undocumented "features" such as some invert bit here not doing anything at, and some other bit there completely breaking non-related IO pin... So before committing to a large batch of unmodifiable PCBs, do a prototype first. Which hopefully is quite obvious anyway.

It's all in the reference manual, just build a prototype (around devboard, or spin an early revision of the actual board) and read the related sections on the reference manual and start working.

*) expect that instead of slope compensation, which I did not need due to by-design <50% duty cycle, I used the DACs for arbitrary current waveform generation

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2024, 08:11:55 pm »
Thank you for all replies. I was trying to setup HRTIM in a proper operation mode, but found some weird description in the refmanual (rev.8, chapter 27.3.9, p.879-880).
I would like to use blanking as highlighted by yellow colour, and struggling with its operation. The example, which is given in the text (green), is quite confusing because none of the timers (B or C) has TIMFLTR6 as output of any Tx2. Do I understand this table correctly? Is this typo in the table or in the example? May other numbers be also inaccurate?
Thanks for any ideas.

Offline multipla

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2024, 06:07:11 am »
If you have a working PCB with the controller or a dev board already, I would also suggest trying out how the slope looks like first.
I have tried using the internal DAC of an NXP KV44 to create the setpoint and subtract a slope from it, but there were lots of glitches when many bits of the DAC word changed (midpoint glitches). This was unusable for PCMC, I ended up adding the slope externally before feeding it to an external comparator. The internal comparator had quite long and inconsistent delay times too, depending on the operating point.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2024, 07:48:15 am »
Although the table is still unclear. It seems that the basic operation was achieved.

I am using G474RET6 based Nucleo board and Arduino.
Below is my basic peripheral configuration, the pins highlighted in blue are available for probing and behave generally as expected:
2377163-0
As I didn't have a real device, I had to make a gyrator-based inductor current emulator:
2377167-1
Some important registers:
2377171-2
Waveform examples:
2377159-3

If you have a working PCB with the controller or a dev board already, I would also suggest trying out how the slope looks like first.
Not completely sure, but for me the slope looks as expected (see above). However, I worry about that additional short spikes in the output signal of CH_C1/2, which are shown in the last attachment.
I was trying to play with hysteresis, event counter filter etc., but was unable to get rid of them even for a simple desktop layout without any power conversion and any serious noise.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2024, 07:53:17 am by Alex-lab »

Offline mtwieg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2024, 01:06:56 pm »
Is sounds like you were successful implementing a voltage-mode phase shifted bridge, and now you want to modify it to do peak current mode control. But I suspect rather than modifying what you have, you should start from scratch.

For example, is there some reason you're using center-aligned/up-down count mode for counters A and C? Using up-count mode might make things a lot simpler. I don't believe center-aligned operation has any benefit for peak CMC.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2024, 01:10:15 pm by mtwieg »

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2024, 01:32:48 pm »
Is sounds like you were successful implementing a voltage-mode phase shifted bridge, and now you want to modify it to do peak current mode control.

Why is not this a current mode?

Offline mtwieg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm »
Why is not this a current mode?

.... what?

You said this:
Up to now I have been using STM32G4 to control phase-shift full-bridge (PSFB) in voltage control mode (VCM). Now I would like to add peak current control mode (PCMC) for better performance

I'm saying you shouldn't "add" preak CMC to the VMC design, but instead redesign it with peak CMC in mind.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2024, 11:23:55 pm by mtwieg »

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2024, 11:43:47 am »
I'm saying you shouldn't "add" preak CMC to the VMC design, but instead redesign it with peak CMC in mind.

Ok, this is exactly what I showed in my previous post as previously I used regular Timer, but now it's using HRTIM.

Offline mtwieg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2024, 12:36:48 pm »
Ok, then why are you using center-aligned mode? I'm not an expert on STM's HRTIM, but in general I've found center-aligned operation to come with more limitations. As far as I can tell, all of STM's documentation suggests using single-slope mode for peak CMC as well.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2024, 01:30:26 pm »
As ST does not provide any relevant examples for full bridge phase shift designs, I had to use an example from TI (TIDM-02000), where up-down mode is the core of the approach.
In up-down you can differentiate the front and end of the pulse explicitly (one relates to UP, another to DOWN direction). Then you add a toggle function driven by external event (comparator) and that's it.  I am not saying that with single-slope you cannot achieve similar operation, but it is definitely more complex as requires special measures.

TIDM-02000 shows the circuit, and for me it is not quite clear, why they used a full bridge rectifier for current transformer, if it is operated in unipolar mode?

Offline mtwieg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2024, 04:35:15 pm »
As ST does not provide any relevant examples for full bridge phase shift designs, I had to use an example from TI (TIDM-02000), where up-down mode is the core of the approach.
Interesting, I don't quite understand why they would use up-down mode for this, I'm guessing it somehow makes implementing their synchronous rectifier control easier.
In up-down you can differentiate the front and end of the pulse explicitly (one relates to UP, another to DOWN direction).
The action qualifier (AQ) submodule in the C2000 ePWM modules do recognize the counter direction in determining actions, but I don't know if HRTIM has equivalent functionality. I also don't see why you'd need to differentiate the edges of the pulse in such a way.
I am not saying that with single-slope you cannot achieve similar operation, but it is definitely more complex as requires special measures.
I doubt it, but it depends on exactly how the underlying PWM logic works.

For example, you said you were struggling to implement blanking. In the C2000 design, this is done using the digital compare (DC) submodule, which is IMO by far the most complicated and confusing aspect of the entire ePWM module (I usually don't make use of any of the digital compare functions, but just configuring it to pass events through is insanely complicated). I highly doubt the HRTIM works in a similar way. You should look at how HRTIM implements blanking and start from there.

TIDM-02000 shows the circuit, and for me it is not quite clear, why they used a full bridge rectifier for current transformer, if it is operated in unipolar mode?
Agreed, that is strange. I wonder how the magnetizing flux is reset properly...

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2024, 06:02:45 pm »
why you'd need to differentiate the edges of the pulse in such a way.

I suppose, it is because on the over current event we need to toggle the output states, but on the normal ending (if no comp event) we should switch outputs to specific levels.
All other things like blanking and slope compensation using DAC are simple in implementation. My question was about a particular table from the manual, but it seems work fine.

Agreed, that is strange. I wonder how the magnetizing flux is reset properly...
In my future design I am planning to use unipolar circuit as in the datasheet for UCC28950.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2024, 12:27:10 pm »
I am wondering if I need to change the slope magnitude for low duty cycle? I know that the DAC value controls the peak current, but what is about the slope at low duty cycle? Some appnotes (SLUA837) states that it is a good thing to have slope compensation even at low duty cycles. Despite it is mainly designed for 50% and over. Just for more predictable behaviour in noisy environment etc. May it be practical to reduce the slope at low duty cycles?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf