Author Topic: How to hire a power designer?  (Read 1707 times)

Offline johnywhyTopic starter

• Contributor
How to hire a power designer?
« on: September 17, 2024, 05:15:31 pm »
Where can one find a listing of reputable, experienced, professional power electronics designers, specializing in converter design in the 5 amp, 5 volt range?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 05:20:31 pm by johnywhy »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: How to hire a power designer?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2024, 06:55:47 pm »
Where can one find a listing of reputable, experienced, professional power electronics designers, specializing in converter design in the 5 amp, 5 volt range?
There is a jobs section in this forum  ;D But you have to be more specific where it comes to the requirements.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: johnywhy

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2024, 07:08:30 pm »
5V 5A? It's commodity item already made by numerous power supply companies in Taiwan and china.
Nobody here would embark on making one. Reinventing the wheel? Work out how many you'd need to sell to pay that wage.

Consider expert Treez/Faringdon for design of something like that, he can make it cheaper than anyone in the world.

The following users thanked this post: Someone, Siwastaja, johnywhy

Offline Kurets

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2024, 09:45:05 pm »
If you need a local converter on a board you are designing, the output specs are quite in the relm of monolithic converter with datasheet/cookbook solution. So any designer willing to put some effort into reading should be able to make something functional for you. Meeting EMC, good layout, etc. may be a different story.

If you are looking for an off line solution, then I agree with the posters above. This is something you buy, unless there are very special requirements you have not shared.

Offline johansen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2024, 11:41:40 pm »
Ask treez

Offline multipla

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2024, 05:47:40 am »
Here you go:

https://www.digikey.de/de/products/detail/traco-power/THL-25-4811WI/9344726

That will be 15000 € (plus tip).

Yours sincerely

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2024, 06:57:31 am »
Ask treez

Jesus... can you imagine actually having to work with treez/faringdon on an real project...

Offline johansen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2024, 07:39:52 pm »
Ask treez

Jesus... can you imagine actually having to work with treez/faringdon on an real project...

I've met a few people who have substantial similarities and I can't figure out what part of their brain isn't functioning, and yes I've actually tried. its easy for me to figure out most people.
A big part of the problem is that they don't want help, and they can't see the problem.

My wife has been in therapy for a decade from age 11-21 and at some point you have to tell the person to stop, because constantly going to other people for help prevents you from developing your own executive function.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 07:41:46 pm by johansen »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2024, 05:16:02 pm »
People think they can change/fix people on social media (and the forums) by flaming/humiliating/scolding etc.
I've read 80% of our personality is formed by age 8, and 80% of our personality is in our genes, genetic.
So there's not much to work with. Neuroplasticity implies we are infinitely malleable, easy to rewire- but I find people are as they are. They don't change or grow as much as we'd like to believe.

Offline uer166

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2024, 11:06:45 pm »
People think they can change/fix people on social media (and the forums) by flaming/humiliating/scolding etc.
I've read 80% of our personality is formed by age 8, and 80% of our personality is in our genes, genetic.
So there's not much to work with. Neuroplasticity implies we are infinitely malleable, easy to rewire- but I find people are as they are. They don't change or grow as much as we'd like to believe.

A guided psychedelic experience might help as an adult!

Offline f4eru

• Super Contributor
    • Chargehanger
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2024, 06:09:28 pm »
Contracting with Treez would be a psychedelic experience.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2024, 06:17:40 pm »

Have you tried it? Could make for some interesting power supply designs.
I hear it is not a "fix" or substitute for doing the personal growth work. Friends travelled more than once to Peru for Ayahuasca experiences... did not change the fundamentals in their psyche. Some time later they are still a mess. If you are soulsick it seems to be beneficial.

Offline johnywhyTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2024, 08:13:03 pm »
It's commodity item. Reinventing the wheel?
Consider expert Treez/Faringdon for design of something like that, he can make it cheaper than anyone in the world.
We need a specialized design which doesn't exist off the shelf.

What makes you say that? Based on other comments here, i'm guessing the recommendation of treez was for chuckles.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2024, 10:51:08 pm »
Sounds like an interesting project. I invite you to use the 'jobs' section of this forum and be a bit more specific about your requirements so people can have an idea what kind of design you are looking for and which skills / tools are needed. I assume this is a project / contract job and not a (near) full-time job? There are quite a few contractors (including myself) capable of designing power supplies hanging out on this forum so chances are high you'll find somebody suitable for your design challenge.

And yes, the treez suggestion is for chuckles.  >:D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2024, 10:53:38 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf