Author Topic: High voltage banana plugs ?!  (Read 144 times)

RichardS and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline JeLoTopic starter

• Contributor
High voltage banana plugs ?!
« on: Today at 02:04:28 am »
For some odd reason I need to connect a banana plug to a EHV cable. It's low current and I got no other option available. Basically it's to replace a cable from a CRT rejuvenator that is kind of different from most and also uses the anode connection. The part that connects to the CRT is practically 30Kv, as is normally the case for most bigger tubes and it's connected with an anode cap (though I've seen some PVMs that use some weird things...), but the part that connects to the tester / rejuvenator is actually a freaking banana plug! And yes, the original cable that came with it was like that, the unit is totally original. It's from a reputable brand in Germany that has since closed doors.... Doesn't matter, the thing here is I couldn't find any banana plugs speced to 30kv, so probably the device didn't work at that voltage either... Or maybe it did, IDK... But I wanted to use a secure connection without much hassle at the same time.
Anyone knows a source ? I'm tempted to try a simple audio plug at this point, but so far have resisted it, there probably would be sparks everywhere ... :) Even the anode caps on the CRT side that connect to the flyback transformers sometimes produce sparks despite having been well insulated when the sets were produced, but as the rubber dries out some start to buzz.....
« Last Edit: Today at 02:34:00 am by JeLo »

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
Re: High voltage banana plugs ?!
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:56:56 am »
Have a look at Fluke 1555 to get an idea of how that fits in with modern safety requirements.

Offline JeLoTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: High voltage banana plugs ?!
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:56:40 am »
Yes, I'm aware of the worldwide trend that now a days euthanasia is allowed in more and more places yet I'm at the verge of being prohibited from repairing my own old equipment in my own house because of "concerns" the government has for my own security.... Whatever that means today....
Anyway, banana plugs anyone ? :) Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum !? I posted in here because it's related to power and high voltage is used in some power sources today... albeit in this case it's totally different because the current is low.... So maybe mods please move this to the repair forum.... I'll do it myself soon, I'm going to sleep now, maybe tomorrow or after there'll be some answers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf