Author Topic: High Current AC Voltage Divider?  (Read 256 times)

Offline johnywhyTopic starter

• Contributor
High Current AC Voltage Divider?
« on: Yesterday at 05:40:06 am »
Is a resistor divider suitable for a low-voltage, high-current AC voltage divider?

I have an 8V p-p AC sine wave, powering a load that's drawing 1.5A. I need to divide that AC voltage down by half, without distortion, with good precision, so the load will draw 3A @ 4V p-p. And i need it to stay cool.

Is there a simple passive way to do it?

I assume i could use a step-down trafo, but that's bulkier than i would like.

How about a capacitive divider?

Or, a capacitive/resistive divider?

Inductive divider?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:47:36 am by johnywhy »

Online geggi1

• Frequent Contributor
Re: High Current AC Voltage Divider?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:38:13 am »
What you are describing is a transformer.
With a voltage divider you will never get a higher current out of the circuit than in. the loss will also be at least as high as the load.

Voltage dividers is normally only used in low current designs to match impedanze or reduse the voltage for mesuring or similars.

The following users thanked this post: johnywhy

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:00:21 am »
Isn't a capacitive power supply designed to deliver high current?

A capacitive power supply or capacitive dropper is a type of power supply that uses the capacitive reactance of a capacitor to reduce higher AC mains voltage to a lower DC voltage. A relatively large mains-voltage capacitor is required and its capacitance must increase with the output current, which leads to a higher-cost and bulky capacitor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitive_power_supply

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:41:48 am »
Isn't a capacitive power supply designed to deliver high current?

A capacitive power supply or capacitive dropper is a type of power supply that uses the capacitive reactance of a capacitor to reduce higher AC mains voltage to a lower DC voltage. A relatively large mains-voltage capacitor is required and its capacitance must increase with the output current, which leads to a higher-cost and bulky capacitor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitive_power_supply

That power supply delivers a mere 10mA and uses a single series capacitor, not a capacitive divider.. It also offers no safety isolation from the mains, so isn't suitable for anything that can be touched.

A capacitive divider (two capacitors) is no more suitable for providing any significant current than a resistive voltage divider. They are used (often in combination with a resistive divider) for measurement purposes only.

It sounds as if a proper wall wart PSU is what you need Edit: or bite the bullet and use that transformer - it's the only way you're going to achieve any current multiplication in any case].
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:46:48 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Andy Chee

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:40:03 am »
Is a resistor divider suitable for a low-voltage, high-current AC voltage divider?

I have an 8V p-p AC sine wave, powering a load that's drawing 1.5A. I need to divide that AC voltage down by half, without distortion, with good precision, so the load will draw 3A @ 4V p-p. And i need it to stay cool.

Is there a simple passive way to do it?

I assume i could use a step-down trafo, but that's bulkier than i would like.
What frequency is your sine wave?  If it is >20kHz the transformer can be a relatively compact ferrite transformer.

Otherwise, no, there is no passive way to do it.

Your distortion and precision specification suggests some unusual application.  Care to enlighten us?  Showing us a bigger picture may allow us to proffer alternate solutions.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:29:42 pm »
That power supply delivers a mere 10mA and uses a single series capacitor, not a capacitive divider.. It also offers no safety isolation from the mains, so isn't suitable for anything that can be touched.
I'm not working with mains. I want to step down a 1.5A, 10V, 400 kHz AC signal.

Your distortion and precision specification suggests some unusual application.  Care to enlighten us?  Showing us a bigger picture may allow us to proffer alternate solutions.
What i can share is that i need to convert a bipolar 3A, 5V p-p, 400 kHz AC signal to a unipolar, positive-only 3A, 5V p-p, 400 kHz signal.

My first plan was to use a Villard doubler to convert the biplar wave to unipolar. The video:
2392997-0
https://youtu.be/ep3D_LC2UzU

My concern was that the V doubler will halve the current and double the voltage, from 3A, 5V p-p to 1.5A, 10V p-p. That's why i posted this question looking for a divider to restore the original.

But i think now this was a misconception. It looks like the p-p doesn't change, the input and output of the Villard will be the same current, same V p-p. In which case i don't need this divider.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:35:52 pm by johnywhy »

Offline Andy Chee

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:19:24 am »
What i can share is that i need to convert a bipolar 3A, 5V p-p, 400 kHz AC signal to a unipolar, positive-only 3A, 5V p-p, 400 kHz signal.
At 400kHz, a transformer can be made using this core:

https://www.digikey.com.au/en/products/detail/epcos-tdk-electronics/B65803P0000Y038/3914034

Is that transformer still too "bulky" for your application?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf