Author Topic: Looking to buy my first power supply  (Read 2460 times)

Offline MusteyTopic starter

• Contributor
Looking to buy my first power supply
« on: May 19, 2020, 05:39:19 pm »
To be honest I've probably developed some anxiety about this and could use a chat with more experienced friends here to cool down and make the right choice!

I am picking up electronics but I am both a tinkerer and a scholar. I like building stuff but I also love the theory, math and engineering methods that go into my work.
I am very proud of my tools and my output.

On the other hand, I have a limited budget for a 0-30v/0-5a (could probably settle on 3a) supply: £200

So far, the only options I can see are:

A. Whatever is the current Amazon's Choice chinese wonder brand is, for £50
I guess this would be a spec-marketing trick like all unknown chinese brands (they get you with the big numbers and then you find out it's all made of old potato peels inside. I have absolutely zero faith in ratings)

B. Buy a known brand Linear power supply by Rigol/Siglent for £300 - which would be over budget and they are also quite large for my tiny lab+office+gaming+library room...

I try to read reviews about stuff in my price range but I can't find a unit from a trustworthy brand.
Also, all reviews are pretty much the same: "good for the money but needs a lot of filtering for any serious use"

I am so frustrated I am starting to think about making my own PSU with the following topology:
Wall-wart > those DPS3003 modules > Some serious filtering
I mean, if I am going to filter it, might as well go with a solution that I can play with the shape/size of things to fit nicely on my bench

Any thoughts appreciated!

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Looking to buy my first power supply
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 08:37:25 pm »
Check out Digikey/Element14 etc. There's some lower end supplies from brands like Tenma, Multicomp Pro that would fit your needs without being too pricey.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 08:48:24 pm »
Don't rule out ebay. You can sometimes pick up some very respectable decent name used linear PSUs. Just check with the seller that they are fully working*, will be safely packaged, and that the service manual is available on the web.

Decent linear supplies seem to have an almost infinite life.

Edit:* Unless you want a repair project as an alternative to building your own (service manual critical!)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 09:39:24 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline MusteyTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 01:08:56 pm »
Actually, with your hint, I've found the MC Pro MP710086. Which is within my needs and budget and on top of all, is LINEAR! :)
I am sure I looked it up before but thought it was switchmode... Thanks for the heads-up!

Just before I pull the trigger, how would you rate the noise characteristics compared to a switchmode supply, is this significantly better on paper than SMPS?
(image attached)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 01:33:10 pm »
Actually, with your hint, I've found the MC Pro MP710086. Which is within my needs and budget and on top of all, is LINEAR! :)
I am sure I looked it up before but thought it was switchmode... Thanks for the heads-up!
The giveaway is the weight, 5.6 kg.
https://www.newark.com/multicomp-pro/mp710086-us/power-supply-bench-prog-1ch-5a/dp/42AH0483

Just before I pull the trigger, how would you rate the noise characteristics compared to a switchmode supply, is this significantly better on paper than SMPS?
Yep, it's a lot better than SMPS but still single channel so take a breath and see if you can find something similar but 2 ch.
It will do what you want for now and looks a nice little PSU but you will want another channel at some point.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf