Author Topic: Locking connector for radio microphone?  (Read 437 times)

Offline rektm8Topic starter

Locking connector for radio microphone?
« on: June 26, 2021, 12:01:44 am »
I'm looking to modify a set of hearing protectors that have an existing audio input (they're electronic), to include a microphone to be used with a radio for communications, However I can't seem to find a suitable connector that matches the overall budget I'm going for. Everything I've come up with is overkill for what I'm trying to do. (hirose connectors or legitimate military grade connectors which cost half what the headset does)

I need two conductors (mono) and some kind of locking mechanism, be it a threaded collar or etc, but it needs to be on the smaller side, something around the size of a 5.5x2.1mm DC jack or a 3.5mm audio jack.

It doesn't need to be explicitly for audio, any connector that fits the bill from another application will work just fine, I'm just not coming up with anything that is relatively inexpensive.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 12:25:10 am by rektm8 »

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
Re: Locking connector for radio microphone?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 12:10:37 am »
be it a threaded collar or etc, but it needs to be on the smaller side, something around the size if a 5.5x2.1mm DC jack or a 3.5mm audio jack
3.5mm jacks with a locking collar are available,as  used on some Sennheise gear,no idea were you find them in the states or the price.Another option maybe mini xlr

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 12:18:55 am »
Switchcraft make 5.5x2.5mm power connectors with a threaded locking collar, they might also make locking 3.5mm jack connectors--it's worth taking a look through their catalog anyway. I've used their locking power connectors and don't remember them being tremendously expensive but it's been a while.

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 04:52:05 am »
Switchcraft Mini XLR?
Or Lemo: https://www.ebay.com/itm/192285362018?hash=item2cc519c762:g:Hn4AAOSwaMpZnC4h
The Mini XLR is betwwe the 5.5X2.1 DC and 1/4" audio jack as size; the small Lemo's are in the same ballpark.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf