Author Topic: Where do you go for Chinese power supplies in your country?  (Read 4277 times)

Offline ocsetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Where do you go for Chinese power supplies in your country?
« on: April 19, 2019, 10:58:52 am »
In UK, if  you want a good-value-for-money custom designed, bespoke power supply, and you want it pretty quick, (ie from China) and your sales volumes are predicted as medium to high, you go to Stontronics.
Which is the equivalent company in your country.?
Or, if you dont have one, please state this?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:07:36 am by treez »

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
Re: Where do you go for Chinese power supplies in your country?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 11:12:52 am »
I dig in my box of salvaged power supplies and usually find something good enough for the project. Even some fairly beefy 40A 12V supplies that were pulled from old servers.

The following users thanked this post: ocset

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 11:13:39 am »
thanks, sorry i meant for this to go in "general chat", so i hope i dont offend by posting it here.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 11:18:56 am »
Mean Well is available internationally and has a decent reputation. Taiwanese though, hence not an exact match to your question.

The following users thanked this post: Psi, ocset

Offline panoss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 11:42:15 am »
and your sales volumes are predicted as medium to high
You 're a seller?

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 12:03:26 pm »
Mean Well is available internationally and has a decent reputation. Taiwanese though, hence not an exact match to your question.
Thanks, but i mean when Meanwell dont have anything to the spec required.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 12:05:36 pm »
So you are referring to customized supplies? Sorry; didn‘t get that from the OP.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 12:19:14 pm »
So you are referring to customized supplies?
Yes thats right...thanks, ive changed the OP now...you're right , i should have stated this first

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 11:06:31 am »
So everybody in the world is buying from Stontronics?
Or you make/design them yourselves?

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 11:43:50 am »
I sacked off Stontronics (Now Stadium Group) as a vendor due to poor reliability in some of their off the shelf 12V line lumps in 24/7 service.
Turns out Meanwell will do light customisation for you at volumes of a thousand per year or so, and our field failure rate has gone way down.  Price went up 20% or so, but the kit actually works properly, and power supply price was a small fraction of our BOM so pretty much irrelevant.

I am far from sure that Stontronics are by any means the goto vendor if you need custom stuff, but I am also of the view that if you need custom stuff and are not doing tens of thousands of units a year, you are probably doing it wrong.
Something standard in a common form factor, then a buck to whatever you really need is usually going to be cheaper and makes field replacement much less of a pain. There is much to be said for a simple 2"x4" PCB with nothing special, because you can get a spare from any industrial supplier anywhere in the world.

Regards, Dan.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 09:42:29 am »
Turns out Meanwell will do light customisation for you at volumes of a thousand per year or so,
Thanks, and i agree with your other points too.....but as  we know, Meanwell can't promptly service the requests of
multiple companies simultaneously for custom power supplies. As such, a vendor like stontronics is needed, which has
close links with large numbers of major Chinese power suppply designer/manufacturers, and is "up to speed" with all
of them and knowledgeable about which Chinese company is the best one to go for, given a particular spec.
I used to work at a company that got an offline 70W SMPS done via Stontronics, and after years of shipping it, they
were happy with it.
(BTW i am not advertising Chinese design/manufacture of SMPS for eg UK etc, i actually believe its a bad idea, but the
point that i conceed is
that many companies  dont share my views, and just want a custom power supply pretty quickly and at a  relatively low price,
and really dont care where it comes from).

Germany , France, USA , Aus, etc etc , must have a "stontronics equivalent" that they go through.....do you know of it?
Or do they all just use Stontronics?

I sacked off Stontronics (Now Stadium Group) as a vendor due to poor reliability in some of their off the shelf 12V line lumps in 24/7 service.
Thanks, but some would say, .."had you asked stontronics to source you a power supply which was up to 24/7 service?.....was the "Line lump" specifically designed for 24/7 service?."...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 09:49:05 am by treez »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 08:48:59 am »
This is very interesting and appears to show  that only UK is sourcing SMPS in really  significant numbers from China.....so how are all the other companys in the world making SMPS's cheaper than the Chinese are doing it.?...or do they just have trade tariffs?
Stontronics appears to be the only "go-between" company in the world that sources SMPS's  from China...can  this really be true?

Is this perhaps why companies come to UK in relatively high numbers?....ie, because in UK they can buy  SMPS's  from China through Stontronics?...because in their own country, they dont have a "stontronics"?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 08:57:27 am by treez »

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 10:29:46 am »
 :palm: Get real!
I usually use Sunpower as a default distributor, but there are plenty of others, and almost ANY major power supply vendor will do custom stuff for you if you dangle a few thousand units per year in front of them.

I probably get a call a week from someone wanting to be our semi custom power supply supplier.

Nothing UK specific about this, similar companies exist in pretty much every country for obvious reasons.

Regards, Dan.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 10:56:17 am »
- Take 5 power supplies around your house you consider decent quality
- Turn them around
- Read the label
- Contact the companies

At least half of them will be willing to do (semi-) custom stuff if you have the quantities to back it up.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 08:00:08 pm »
Thanks, but individual power supply design/manufacture  companies have limited resources, they cannot take in unlimited work at any given time……….they may try to, but will run over schedule……….there is a need for a “command centre company”….ie,a company that is in touch with hundreds of large smps companies…..and can give the right contract, to the right smps company, at the right time…..in UK, that “command centre” company is stontronics….and they deal with loads of Chinese smps companies
I am not saying I agree with the west getting smps ‘s designed in china……but many business people in the west want it.
(if you want to see what i think about it..here it is...
https://massey276.wixsite.com/government
)

Stontronics is the “command centre” company for smps design/manufacture in Uk……..who does it in other countries?…or does nobody do it?….do trade tariffs exist to stop it?

I am sure you understand that plumping on some indivudal company and hoping that they have the resources available at that time to do the custom design  and manufacture work that you want is not realistic.....it might work some times...but you see the  advantage of having a "stontronics"....who are always in touch with hundreds of enormous , high quality chinese smps companies, and can give the right contract, to the right  chinese smps company, at the right time.

Nothing UK specific about this, similar companies exist in pretty much every country for obvious reasons.
Thanks but I just dont think they do....nobody can ever name one...is it because they operate in some sort of secrecy?......feeling guilty about trashing their own country's  jobs etc etc...creating "rust belts" etc
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 08:11:23 pm by treez »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2019, 08:12:00 pm »
I am sure you understand that plumping on some indivudal company and hoping that they have the resources available at that time to do the custom design  and manufacture work that you want is not realistic.

Hint 1: that would be exactly the same as bringing it to "Stonetronics" or whatever.
Hint 2: there are solutions to projects not working out. They are called "Project Managment", "Contracts", "Supplier audit",...

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2019, 09:15:28 pm »
I'm in US.  Companies like Nemic Lamda will make anything you want.  But quantity has to be substantial for a custom job. 

I'm sorry if I sound biased and prejudicial, but I would be afraid to order custom anything from China.  I know they are capable of making great projects, but I would have to personally visit them, make personal connections, then start business transactions.  Japan is kind of like that, too.  That will only make sense if quantities are very VERY large.

So, question for you.  Are you talking about one off, or a large projection scale?   What kind of special quality do you need that cannot be met by what they sell? 

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2019, 09:39:56 pm »
So, question for you.  Are you talking about one off, or a large projection scale?   What kind of special quality do you need that cannot be met by what they sell? 
I am talking of ..well, it could be either one off, or large scale…
But as an example…take this power supply………….

..shown here at  00:29 of this….

….I am not saying this was arranged by stontronics…but it’s the kind of thing they  can arrange…its nothing special, but there is nothing for it offtheshelf.
(the power supply is in her right hand, seen at 00:29.)
.....This power supply  is 70w, offline, and charges a capacitor up to about 350V repetitively every second, at which point it flashes over a xenon tube.

You speak of Nemic Lamda….i am sure they are great, but what if 10 or more companies approach them at the same time…..they are only one company..they have finite resources.,…and this is why a company like stontronics wins the day…because they  have close contact with hundreds of  enormous Chinese smps companies, and can allocate the work to the right company at the right time.

I'm sorry if I sound biased and prejudicial, but I would be afraid to order custom anything from China.  I know they are capable of making great projects, but I would have to personally visit them, make personal connections, then start business transactions.
Thanks, Right!...thats where stontronics comes into it...they  have already made those relationships for you, with multiple enormous chinese smps companies, and have a long list of happy customers who have benefitted.
They will also arrange you to have a personal visit to the chinese company  if you want........and you will be confident that it wont be wasted time.

Now that i have explained what stontronics is about.... may i please ask who is the "stontronics" of your country?
Or dont you have one?
Do you have trade tariffs which makes "stontronics" impossible in your country?
Does your country just use stontronics in UK?
Do you have a "stontronics", but they keep themselves secret so that no-one else hears about their Far Eastern Bounty and jumps on the bandwagon?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:56:31 pm by treez »

Offline ThomasDK

• Regular Contributor
  • B.Eng. EE
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2019, 01:19:56 am »
Arrow and Avnet

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2019, 05:44:04 am »
there is a need for a “command centre company”….ie,a company that is in touch with hundreds of large smps companies…..and can give the right contract, to the right smps company, at the right time…..in UK, that “command centre” company is stontronics….and they deal with loads of Chinese smps companies

But that is not at all how Stontronics describe themselves on their website. They claim to have their own manufacturing site in the UK (Hartlepool) for low to medium volume production, and their own production site in China (Dongguan) for medium to higher volumes. They are not a small shopp. part of Stadium, which in turn has recently been acquired by TT Electronics.
http://stontronics.com/manufacturing-facilities/

That looks like a reasonable business model, and indeed one where I would not expect to find a handful of similar companies in every European country. But it is quite different from the model which you had described, i.e. acting as a go-between who interfaces with loads of independent Chinese manufacturers.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2019, 07:24:38 am »
i.e. acting as a go-between who interfaces with loads of independent Chinese manufacturers.
Thanks, In fact It would be just like that...thats how stontronics is......all Chinese industry, despite appearances, is essentially owned by the chinese government......no Chinese company is allowed a free reign  to do entirely its own business...it must report back to "HQ"...this is how stontronics have connections to many of them.

Sure Stontronics want to keep their hand in manufacture aswell, because  it only enhances their prescence in the power supply sales world.

But that is not at all how Stontronics describe themselves on their website. They claim to have their own manufacturing site in the UK (Hartlepool) for low to medium volume production, and their own production site in China (Dongguan) for medium to higher volumes. They are not a small shopp. part of Stadium, which in turn has recently been acquired by TT Electronics.
http://stontronics.com/manufacturing-facilities/
I know a company who got a power supply done via stontronics...and it wasnt and isnt designed/manufactured in hartlepool or dong guan...it is designed/manufactured in Shenzehn at a massive chinese smps company called Mass Power.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:26:27 am by treez »

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 07:45:41 am »
Salcomp if you need volumes.
Changes are that almost every forum member here has at least one Salcomp manufactured charger at home.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2019, 09:27:59 am »
That looks like a reasonable business model, and indeed one where I would not expect to find a handful of similar companies in every European country.
Thanks, you mean because of  EU trade tariffs?

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2019, 11:39:24 am »
More that that model needs a fair amount of scale to work at all well, and is highly capital intensive to set up.

If Stontronics/Stadium/TT are reasonably efficient at it then there is probably no reason for anyone else to try to compete (There are other more easily profitable things to do with the money), that may change come October, we will see.  I would bet the Hartlepool office will move to somewhere still in Europe if the infants in the westminster creche don't wind up with a competent nanny, quicktime.

Not really somewhere I play because for industrial kit, standard, off the shelf is just better.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, ocset

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2019, 11:47:21 am »
That looks like a reasonable business model, and indeed one where I would not expect to find a handful of similar companies in every European country.
Thanks, you mean because of  EU trade tariffs?

No, because there is some non-trivial infrastructure behind their operation. Not just a simple brokerage/outsourcing shop.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf