Author Topic: Where do you buy your nuts?  (Read 12437 times)

Offline ApothusTopic starter

• Contributor
Where do you buy your nuts?
« on: February 20, 2022, 02:39:23 am »
... and bolts, washers etc?

Bunnings are useless and I haven't had much luck with industrial suppliers. Am I the only one that gets frustrated with this?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Where do you buy your nuts?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 03:07:27 am »
It is highly location specific, I guess.

I personally go for the Olander - https://www.olander.com/ .They are in the Bay Area, so locally it is extremely convenient. US shipping is also works, but I don't know if they ship internationally.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline johnh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 03:16:48 am »
I have used   https://www.classicfasteners.com.au/   in South Australia
When I wanted some M2x10mm  Pan Philips Stainless screws last year

I have to agree Bunnings is useless if you want small bolts/screws and nuts
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 03:18:57 am by johnh »

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 03:55:55 am »
You will have several local bolt/fastener shops that sell little else, like bearing shops, the trade is brisk enough they don't advertise or try to find customers, customers find them. Its an industrial supply so wherever you have some light industrial estates...

As its such a common business even google maps has a specific category of "fastener supplier"

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 04:49:29 am »
I have used   https://www.classicfasteners.com.au/   in South Australia
When I wanted some M2x10mm  Pan Philips Stainless screws last year

nice tip, their online store feels a bit clunky though. Actually it seems to be a trend where it takes forever to drill through the categories and bad search results.

You will have several local bolt/fastener shops that sell little else, like bearing shops, the trade is brisk enough they don't advertise or try to find customers, customers find them. Its an industrial supply so wherever you have some light industrial estates...

I find they're not often open outside of normal hours and they're difficult to order and ship from. Maybe I've been spoilt by mouser/digikey search tools and variety

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 05:19:28 am »

Bunnings are useless and I haven't had much luck with industrial suppliers. Am I the only one that gets frustrated with this?

Bunnings for hardware is cancer.

I get all my stuff from a couple of places in QLD off ebay. I pick what I want. And it comes to the house. Fuck bunnings.
iratus parum formica

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 05:57:30 am »
I find they're not often open outside of normal hours and they're difficult to order and ship from. Maybe I've been spoilt by mouser/digikey search tools and variety
The industrial suppliers don't need your business, they do fine without the hassle of tiny online orders (if you do find such a shop selling online the prices are massively inflated to cover the expenses). Its nice most of them open on weekends for people who cant make it during business hours. You want a very specific xyz fastener, then suck it up and go through the channels available. Walk up to the counter and have a chat with them, you might be surprised with how knowledgeable and helpful they are providing value add. Electronic parts is one of the few industries that has simplified the distribution chain, almost everything else is still:
contract manufacturer -> brand "manufacturer" -> importer/wholesaler  -> retailer -> customer

If its such a great market, open your own fastener retailer with wide range, long opening hours, and online sales.[sa]Thats sure to be a profitable enterprise[/sa]. If you like digikey then they already have a range of fasteners and mechanical parts through their shop (1st party, not just through the partners/platform).

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 06:36:07 am »

Bunnings is pretty much a middleman between China and landfill. I'm between Toowoomba and Brisbane and use https://nutzandboltz.com.au/. It's like going back to the 70s in their store, but they have it all.

For online see https://www.boltandnut.com.au/

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 10:13:58 am »

That is a nice store, I'm disappointed I hadn't heard of them before. Some of their single unit prices are a little steep though :S
How long have they been around?

The industrial suppliers don't need your business, they do fine without the hassle of tiny online orders (if you do find such a shop selling online the prices are massively inflated to cover the expenses). Its nice most of them open on weekends for people who cant make it during business hours.

Sounds like someone is talking with industry experience? Surely its not pure altruism that they open on weekends, such a rare thing for a company to do these days. Although bunnings seems to be making good money.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 12:20:16 pm »
It looks like the prices include freight, which might explain the single unit high prices.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 02:37:02 pm »
I have a brilliant shop about a 5 minute drive for anything recent (metric-sae), and for pre-war British I can drive 20 minutes. Both take walk ins with a moq of 1. Whereabouts are you in the large land mass we call home? A bit of refinement will find someone close who knows “how to get things”.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 04:35:37 pm »
Since the question is worded "where do you buy...", I always go to McMaster-Carr.  https://www.mcmaster.com/
If you can't find it there (Unified-national or ISO-metric), you probably don't need it. 
I have placed orders from their Chicago-area warehouse at noon and received the order the next day (usually by UPS) in Chicago.
Unfortunately for those outside the US, they do not do business outside of the country.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 10:15:34 pm »

That is a nice store, I'm disappointed I hadn't heard of them before. Some of their single unit prices are a little steep though :S
How long have they been around?

A few years, only learned of them last year. There's a cost to pick a bolt for an order, it could take someone a minute or two to find the bolt, then another minute or two to package it ready for shipment. Five minutes at minimum wage is at least $2.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2022, 03:21:55 am »
Since the question is worded "where do you buy...", I always go to McMaster-Carr.  https://www.mcmaster.com/
Unfortunately for those outside the US, they do not do business outside of the country.

Even I've heard of them here on the west coast of Aus. They're the only place I've heard of that provides anything close to scale and efficiency for industrial supply. Since ive been poking this rabbit hole I've been curious why no one else has tried something similar elsehwere

A few years, only learned of them last year. There's a cost to pick a bolt for an order, it could take someone a minute or two to find the bolt, then another minute or two to package it ready for shipment. Five minutes at minimum wage is at least $2.

That makes sense, I spent 40 minutes waiting for an other to be picked the other day. It especially makes sense if they provide free shipping on any quantity, I wonder why they didnt go with a $20 minimum for free shipping?

Offline uer166

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 03:30:59 am »
It is highly location specific, I guess.

I personally go for the Olander - https://www.olander.com/ .They are in the Bay Area, so locally it is extremely convenient. US shipping is also works, but I don't know if they ship internationally.

How does it compare to mcMasterCarr in terms of pricing, and do they have a store-front? I see they have a Sunnyvale office but not clear if it's a store of just a shipping center.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 03:37:42 am »
How does it compare to mcMasterCarr in terms of pricing,
I have not compared them to  McMaster, as I don't naturally think of McMaster for small stuff like nuts. I mostly use them for raw materials and tools.

and do they have a store-front? I see they have a Sunnyvale office but not clear if it's a store of just a shipping center.
It is not a store front as such, they don't have everything on display. It is mostly an order pickup room, but if you go there with a sample or can name the part number, they will go back to the warehouse and bring that stuff out fo you. So, it is a retail location, but not a huge self service one.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: uer166

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2022, 03:39:26 am »
If you are ib Brisbane, I've found these guys quite good

https://www.brisbanefasteners.com.au/

Offline alpher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2022, 03:43:06 am »
If you can't find it there (Unified-national or ISO-metric), you probably don't need it. 
I have placed orders from their Chicago-area warehouse at noon and received the order the next day (usually by UPS) in Chicago.

That's nonsense! I've been buying from them for years and I get next day delivery 99% of the time, obviously i'm outside of USA.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2022, 04:31:41 am »
I'm glad to hear that.  Someone here had posted that they were unwilling to ship to non-corporate buyers in Canada.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2022, 04:32:51 am »
How does it compare to mcMasterCarr in terms of pricing,
I have not compared them to  McMaster, as I don't naturally think of McMaster for small stuff like nuts. I mostly use them for raw materials and tools.

and do they have a store-front? I see they have a Sunnyvale office but not clear if it's a store of just a shipping center.
It is not a store front as such, they don't have everything on display. It is mostly an order pickup room, but if you go there with a sample or can name the part number, they will go back to the warehouse and bring that stuff out fo you. So, it is a retail location, but not a huge self service one.
McMaster has a huge section on screw fasteners of all types.

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2022, 04:32:46 pm »
McMaster because it is so easy to find what you need, and the quality usually very good. Price is probably a little higher than other suppliers.

Offline alpher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2022, 05:00:37 pm »
I'm glad to hear that.  Someone here had posted that they were unwilling to ship to non-corporate buyers in Canada.
Just to clarify, I do buy as a company ~2K$ monthly.

Offline compostpotato

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2022, 03:30:38 am »
In australia i find https://www.scrooz.com.au/ tend to carry a good range of metric coarse nuts down to M3 but if i want imperial or an odd size i'll use the bolt and nut guys above they seem to carry all the other sizes

Offline Selectech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2022, 02:12:10 pm »
I'm in Canada and gave up on McMaster-Carr years ago. They don't bother with small companies / small orders. They cancelled my last orders and I never went back.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2022, 03:25:31 pm »
I'm in Canada and gave up on McMaster-Carr years ago. They don't bother with small companies / small orders. They cancelled my last orders and I never went back.
Since I live in Chicago, I get excellent fast service from McMaster-Carr, but they announced a policy not to handle out-of-country orders.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf