Author Topic: What would you use for isolated DC-DC?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline JuhaTopic starter

• Contributor
What would you use for isolated DC-DC?
« on: January 08, 2022, 04:26:20 pm »
Hello All,

I have been trying to decide how to do an isolated DC-Dc converter, rough specs:

package pcb mount/soldered
12- ~30 VDC input
5V 3A output
Low bom count / smallish foot print
Cost max target around 10-15$, low volume
Parts available

Im having a real hard time deciding what to use and the availability of parts doesnt make it any easier. I first thought I would do it in an easy way by buing a PoL (like flexpower PNA) and then use a transformer driver (like max258) to isolate it, but I wasnt able to find drivers that can drive 3A...

Then I thought if I could find flybacks without the need of an opto (example LT8302), but you cant really get them...

Is the "only" option to go with example some uc384, these are available from multiple vendors but requires much more parts?

Would be nice to find something quite easy and generic that could be slapped to "any pcb".

Edit: Added "package" and low volume to specs
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 06:09:47 pm by Juha »

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: What would you use for isolated DC-DC?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 04:35:40 pm »
For your cost point, look at DC/DC modules, you'll get them ready-made. As an example, from Traco Power. This is so trivial, no need to reinvent the wheel.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 05:41:56 pm »
For your cost point, look at DC/DC modules, you'll get them ready-made. As an example, from Traco Power. This is so trivial, no need to reinvent the wheel.
Indeed. DC-DC converter modules are a dime a dozen. Not worth it to design yourself.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 06:03:38 pm »
So many choices. So 15-20W and what level of isolation do you need. 100s of volts or kV isolation?
DIY is a waste of effort and cash.
Have a look at a meanwell PSD-15B-05 about $10. But be careful, withstand voltage and working voltage are not the same thing.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 06:07:06 pm »

Indeed. DC-DC converter modules are a dime a dozen. Not worth it to design yourself.
Yeah thats what I also thought and should of said that this was my first idea. I typically use digikey to find parts as the filters are quite nice and you get a rough idea of the price. I should of added (will edit) that cost traget in low volume.

Cheapest with above specs is a module from Meanwell NSD15-12S5 16.77, cheapest example from is THL 15-2411WI at 30$/pc.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 06:11:04 pm »
Sorry did not put it to specs but I am looking for something mounted to a pcb. 100s of V is enough.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 06:36:37 pm »

Yep, although the OP said ISOLATED. There are still many available, but of course not quite as many as just "DC/DC converter modules".
Now I still agree, no need to reinvent the weel here.

RECOM Power, and a lot of other vendors have them.
You'll also find "medical" DC/DC isolated converters, if that's what you are after, compliant with IEC60601 or equivalent.

Another point: if you want *isolated* then surely you have some requirements in terms of isolation. And if you want to test that your design complies with what you claim, you'll need specific equipment for that. And, if, on top of that, you actually want the whole thing to be compliant with some standard, then you definitely don't want to do it yourself, unless you have ample cash, some experience and a very good reason for doing so.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 07:18:21 pm »

Yeah thats what I also thought and should of said that this was my first idea. I typically use digikey to find parts as the filters are quite nice and you get a rough idea of the price. I should of added (will edit) that cost traget in low volume.

Cheapest with above specs is a module from Meanwell NSD15-12S5 16.77, cheapest example from is THL 15-2411WI at 30$/pc.

Another option is this manufacturer:
https://www.mornsun-power.com/

This one for example:
https://www.mornsun-power.com/index/sitesearch/partlink/keyword/URB2405YMD-15WR3.html
https://store.nacsemi.com/Products/Detail?part=URB2405YMD-10WR3&stock=MS0000000006536

Farnell / Newark is selling some of Mornsun's products under their Multicomp brand.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:22:37 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 08:53:14 pm »

Another option is this manufacturer:
https://www.mornsun-power.com/

This one for example:
https://www.mornsun-power.com/index/sitesearch/partlink/keyword/URB2405YMD-15WR3.html
https://store.nacsemi.com/Products/Detail?part=URB2405YMD-10WR3&stock=MS0000000006536

Farnell / Newark is selling some of Mornsun's products under their Multicomp brand.

Great stuff, thanks for this.

This just about what I was looking for, seems to be in the price range and do exactly what I was wanting. Your nac store link goes to the 10W one but they also have the 15W.

Huge thanks for letting me know about this one.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf