Author Topic: What programs do you use for creating technical documents???.....  (Read 25905 times)

Offline SmokeyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
What program do you guys use for creating technical documents like user manuals? 

Keeping formatting consistent in Word/Libreoffice-writer is seriously painful.  Graphics seem to always get botched, especially when exporting to PDF.

What's the better way?

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
Re: What programs do you use for creating technical documents???.....
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 05:19:48 pm »
I don't understand why you say that graphics are getting botched.
In my past I have been making a sh*t load of reports (three times a week with an average of 10-25 pages).
Never encountered a problem when exporting to PDF.

Going from one program to another, between Office 2003, 2007, new ones and even more between Microsoft and LibreOffice is on the other hand a disaster.
In the science world a lot of people use LaTeX, because you have complete freedom.

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 06:30:36 pm »
Specifically I end up putting a lot of dxf graphics in and they never seem to come out right in the conversions. 

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 06:49:21 pm »
I create drawings with MS Visio and then paste into Word. I don't even bother trying that with OpenOffice.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline StefanHamminga

• Contributor
    • PRJCT.NET
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 10:32:41 pm »
For documents that need to look better than a regular Word document I like to use Scribus.
There is a bit of a learning curve but you have a lot more control over what happens with your output. It's not a pleasure for a 1000 page document though (getting better with the recently added 'Story Editor'). SVG support is pretty good compared to the office suites and generated PDFs tend to look a lot nicer than above mentioned alternatives.

If you have a lot of repetition and stick to one standard way to present images / content you could use a document generator like pandoc. Write your manual / guide / etc in Markdown and compile at will. Unbeatable for write speed once dialed in. I've created very nice looking eBooks like this.

If neither one of those will do I'd use Word, it's pretty decent if you avoid manual formatting like the plague it is.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 11:54:13 pm »
Word for text , Adobe Illustrator for drawing ( vector drawings ) Adobe InDesign for makeup.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline donmr

• Regular Contributor
  • W7DMR
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 11:57:26 pm »
I use Inkscape for drawings (except schematics or real CAD drawings).  It can export PNG at any resolution.
Most document composing tools (even word processors) can include PNG files.

Only Scribus can read Inkscape's SVG and even then with some difficulty.  SVG is just not well standardised.

The following users thanked this post: boB

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 01:42:20 am »
Latex + illustrator

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 02:23:57 am »
Word for text , Adobe Illustrator for drawing ( vector drawings ) Adobe InDesign for makeup.
This is how people need to setup the workflow if they want the polished "professional" look from documents, trying to get it all balanced in a single wysiwyg editor is just too time-consuming and likely to have integration issues with different formats. Scribus is getting some good traction for the layout side so an opensource/free workflow is finally achievable with OO/Inkscape/Gimp/Scribus

Offline mathsquid

• Regular Contributor
  • I like math.
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 03:20:32 am »
I use LaTeX for anything that needs to look professional, except for letters.  When I need to write a recommendation letter or something similar, I write it and save it as a plain text file, but I will put it into Word to adjust the pagination and print it.

For presentations, it depends on the type.  I'll use LaTeX/Beamer for conference presentations or for most things I present in class, but sometimes it's easier to throw together a powerpoint--especially if the presentation has a lot of pictures in it.  However, I always convert the powerpoint to a PDF so I know it will run on whatever computer I'm using to give the presentation.

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 05:16:57 am »
Simply the way to go. Consider Word as a word processor with added layout functions.
Will do for simple layouts (single column) up to say 4 to 8 standard pages with few
figures and no footnotes avoiding most of the automation offered like Table of Contents,
indexing, macros, changing headers, format templates and footers.

The only thing that works really well and which is really flexible in Word (all versions)
is Tables. Once you have seen Word suddenly stack up all images (not contained in a
table box) on top of each other on one page or completely mess up your footnotes
you will be convinced.

So for higher requirements use a common DTP programme as recommended here.
Even any Freeware DTP programme will be better than Word provided you will not
need to exchange native DTP documents.

I've been through most of them - Started in the 80ies with a Xerox system with its
Mesa GUI operating system long before the Apple GUI and Windows GUI were born;
then Ventura Publisher on XT clones running Windows 3.1 followed by Pagemaker,
Quark Express, Framemaker and Indesign.
Just my experience.

Yours Messtechniker
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter, UT216C AC/DC Clamp Meter

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 06:43:28 am »
Jupyter Notebooks for periodic (monthly, quarterly, etc) reports, LucidChart for whatever I can't plot with that.

Offline Pjotr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 11:12:24 am »
Many people find MS Publisher a toy. Actually, for regular reports and manuals that need an extra touch up, it is just right. It comes as part of MS Office bundles but is often overlooked. Easy to learn without too many unnecessary complex handles.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 12:21:35 pm »
The thing is that people in OpenOffice Writer is not pushed to format all page elements like that requires more specialized tools. Therefore they never develop a discipline to use extensively e.g. characters, paragraphs and pages styles. That makes them pretty soon miserable and think that OOW (same is with the MS Word) worth much less for such purpose than it is really the case.
Until now I published 5 illustrated books (most of them are 300+ pages) using Print-on-Demand and traditionally printing shop that was with exception of cover page (I'm using Scribus) prepared in OOW.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 12:27:39 pm by prasimix »

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 08:49:51 pm »
Specifically I end up putting a lot of dxf graphics in and they never seem to come out right in the conversions.
It's all about exporting/making screenshot the right way.
Next is to select the right options for aligned and so on

Offline rfbroadband

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 02:04:18 am »
Latex + Illustrator

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 05:30:33 pm »
Is there a way to buy Indesign, or is the only option a monthly subscription?

Offline woodchips

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 05:51:55 pm »
The other problem is how long do you want to use these documents? My wife edits and page layouts books to novel laureate level, and unfortunately they all write in word which is the spawn of the devil. Possibly ok for small documents, but once you hit 50MB with all the diagrams then it can't really cope. And the problems get worse as the versions of word, operating system and printer drivers all change. I have some simple 30 page manuals done in word about 7 years ago. Printed fine on the Xerox 7300 but that is now no longer supported by Apple (why not? a driver is just an interface, what has changed?) so try it on a HP2055, fonts aren't the same so comes out screwed up. Ok, can embed the fonts, but that makes a 2MB file into a 30MB file.

I just have to struggle with this, I no longer have the interest to struggle and fix yet another interface, as in software, problem. I am seriously looking at transferring it back to my Windows 3.1 and Ventura 4.1 setup using a Lexmark Postscript printer just so I can support the printing of simple documents for the next 10 years.

If nothing you do has to last for more than a few years, 4 or 5, then anything you like will do. But for long term access it isn't so easy. This current saga of the HP cartridges with the chips in them is just the start.

Offline ksmccausland

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 09:23:19 pm »
If you really want FULL control over how your document looks you could use InkScape, free.  It should be able to import .dxf natively and then let you make changes to it within the program itself.  It's not really meant for multi-page documents though so it'd really be a pain.  I just use Google docs as I can open it on any computer and that always works out fine.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2021, 01:29:05 pm »
There was some off-topic discussion in another about technical authoring tools, thought I would add something to this sleeping beauty.

I've always used Word for documentation but it does get in the way sometimes.
What is the next step up for a small sized engineering company (<50) with no dedicated technical authors?

PDF document properties sometimes show the tool used to create the document.
Looking at some random datasheets from big name manufacturers I noticed:

ManufacturerToolLinkCost
Analog DevicesMS Word
BroadcomAdobe In-Designhttps://www.adobe.com/products/indesign.htmlcirca 30USD/month
Texas InstrumentsTopleafhttps://turnkey.com.au/topleaf/circa 700USD/seat
MicrochipAdobe Framemakerhttps://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker.htmlcirca 30USD/month
DallasQuarkXPresshttps://www.quark.com/products/QuarkXPress/circa 500GBP
RaspPiAsciidoctorhttps://asciidoctor.org/free/open source
STAntenna Househttps://www.antennahouse.com/formatter-v7$1000 and upwards
ToshibaMS Word

There is an aerospace documentation standard S1000D https://s1000d.org/ with software tooling prices beyond my range of interest.

From the above it seems there is no clear winner.
Myself, I'm not interested in Desktop Publishing packages, I just want simple text based entry (for easy version control integration and zero-distraction editing) and click a few buttons to produce PDF, HTML and maybe ePub, using pre-designed template formatting. Having looked around I think the options in my company would be:

Topleaf
Never tried it but looks interesting. Pricing at my limit. The TI datasheets certainly looks great but likely that's after many, many hours of template design.
Template design difficulty unknown.

DocBook
An XML format which is well supported by editors such as OxygenXML or XMLmind or maybe XmetaL. Pandoc amoung others for output.

Asciidoctor
Looks like a nice simple entry syntax. Can generate PDF, HTML and DocBook outputs.

Latex
Old but still an option I think, although I've never seen datasheets produced with it.
It can produce great looking documents but from my thesis days I remember customising output formats was a huge effort.

Summary: beware, lots of rabbit holes to disappear down!....sigh, back to Word for now.

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2021, 02:22:44 pm »
PDFelement. no export worries. I use microsoft-mathematics-4 as my equation editor. You probably want to print your schematics to file, Tiff or jpg and import them into your document. Printscreen captures are crappy.
I aslo find word often fails to create a decent pdf if at all.
LaTex works well but is an uphill struggle.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2021, 03:55:16 pm »
Using a PDF editor to create a document is more akin to Desktop Publishing, which is exactly what I want to avoid.

Hmm, raster graphics are the last resort if vector artwork unavailable or not feasible.
Use Inkscape, Illustrator, Krita etc for technical drawings, gnuplot/matplotlib/matlab/octave etc for vector data plots.

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2021, 04:22:24 pm »
LaTeX.

Nothing - really nothing - can even come close to what it can be done in TeX.

There was once upon a time a huge effort to accomplish some tasks...
but that is something in the past. Modern TeX (LaTeX) is orders of magnitude better.

And for the record -  there are classes for everything - from books (KOMA) to letters.  ::)

Classes and extensions for add ons like BodePlots BarCodes or Schematics

of course TeX can produce high precision printings from data, graphs or images.

Nothing compares
Learning curve is steep.

Paul

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2021, 04:23:02 pm »
I make drawings in very old AutoCad and import into whatever word processing or page layout software I happen to be using.

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2021, 04:28:13 pm »
I make drawings in very old AutoCad and import into whatever word processing or page layout software I happen to be using.

I ve been there a long long time ago..

The pitfall using proprietary packages is that:
- they are non portable
- they depend on some specific OS and version
- they require apart that licensing and re-licensing.
- they are programmed to obsolete your work and re-license
- they fail to export (escape the jail)
- they fail even to keep pace with new OS and formats

The whole sum equals to a very bad workflow and expensive TCOs

All solved by using open standard TeX and open classes and formats.

Paul

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf