Author Topic: What I've been up to in Hong Kong  (Read 11955 times)

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: What I've been up to in Hong Kong
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 07:00:47 pm »
Very neat, very clever and very nicely made, as usual!   :clap:

With a total power in the range of 8 kW, I would be very curious to see the power distribution strategy.
I had color drift issues when driving a chain of 120 WS2812: the first LED had 5.00V, the last one barely 4.60V --> the first one was full bright white, and the color drifted progressively towards light red to the end of the chain!  :palm:
I had to struggle to bring additional low resistance 5V paths to various points of the string.
If it's an art installation, that could be a bonus feature - gradients for free!

One advantage of art projcts as opposed to commercial products is that things that might be regarded as faults can be re-interpreted as artistic quirks ;D
Similarly the only real bug you can have in a game is one that completely locks it up. Everything else is just "character"/

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 07:23:21 am »
Hmm... if the hubs were a bit flexible (and came in 6 & 5 arms) then geodesic structures would be possible.
Or you use rigid corners and longer, more flexible PCB strips.
Stay tuned  :D

Hmm... but then the overall shape would be a bit wobbly, and hard to keep looking 'round' despite distortions due to suspension points.
Also the strips wouldn't bend spherically, but rather in centenary curves, which could look a bit odd since the overall shape would be a series of discontinuous curves. Unless you did some very careful profiling of the width of the PCB pieces along their lengths, with the middle thicker than the ends so the amount of bend was constant.

Btw, are you aware of the detailed geodesic chord length and joint angles tables (for all the major dome geometries) in the old 'Domebook I & II' ? I have them; if you need them and can't find a copy I could scan parts.

Also google 'tensegrity structures'. These are cool looking. Just begging to be made out of electronics and wire. The wire needs to be non-stretchy; stainless multi-stranded fishing line and crimp ferrules work well.)

One way to do rigid hubs, with straight struts, interconnects and fasteners the same as you did there, would be injection molded hubs with little flexible PCB clip-ins.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 07:40:37 am »
Hmm... if the hubs were a bit flexible (and came in 6 & 5 arms) then geodesic structures would be possible.
Or you use rigid corners and longer, more flexible PCB strips.
Stay tuned  :D

Hmm... but then the overall shape would be a bit wobbly, and hard to keep looking 'round' despite distortions due to suspension points.
Also the strips wouldn't bend spherically, but rather in centenary curves, which could look a bit odd since the overall shape would be a series of discontinuous curves. Unless you did some very careful profiling of the width of the PCB pieces along their lengths, with the middle thicker than the ends so the amount of bend was constant.

Btw, are you aware of the detailed geodesic chord length and joint angles tables (for all the major dome geometries) in the old 'Domebook I & II' ? I have them; if you need them and can't find a copy I could scan parts.

Also google 'tensegrity structures'. These are cool looking. Just begging to be made out of electronics and wire. The wire needs to be non-stretchy; stainless multi-stranded fishing line and crimp ferrules work well.)

One way to do rigid hubs, with straight struts, interconnects and fasteners the same as you did there, would be injection molded hubs with little flexible PCB clip-ins.
I suspect thick stiff hub boards, combined with thin strip boards, that will form into a nice curve, could be used to construct a soccer ball like assembly.

Online bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 02:11:59 pm »
Is the PCB aluminium or FR4 with white silkscreen and lots of vias?

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 03:34:50 pm »
Is the PCB aluminium or FR4 with white silkscreen and lots of vias?
FR4 - there are no major heat issues - LED current is only about 15mA per RGBW
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 01:46:00 pm »
Just found a making-of video - ignore all the "little prince" stuff - that was down to someone else!
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Mr Smiley

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 03:21:09 pm »
Sorry, off topic but relevant to this  :-//

For some strange unknown never solved reason, I've never ever been able to play vimeo videos. Linux and Firefox  :-/O I get the first frame and that’s it, frozen ( the video that is, not anything else ).

:)
There is enough on this planet to sustain mans needs. There will never be enough on this planet to sustain mans greed.

Offline WillHuang

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2016, 04:23:06 pm »
Adobe flash not installed?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Molenaar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2016, 04:27:22 pm »
Sorry, off topic but relevant to this  :-//

For some strange unknown never solved reason, I've never ever been able to play vimeo videos. Linux and Firefox  :-/O I get the first frame and that’s it, frozen ( the video that is, not anything else ).

:)

I also often get this, and it seems dependent on the sample rate my sound card is currently set to. For youtube, I often have to change it from 44.1K to 48K, after which everything does smoothly.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2016, 06:28:24 pm »
For those playing "Where's Mike?" I think I spotted him at 00:07 in a black '1. On time' T-Shirt and at 00:32 in a white Timberland T-Shirt  :-+

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2016, 08:21:11 pm »
The was last spotted on the Amp Hour, comming clean on his phone hacker past.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf