Author Topic: uSupply Custom LCD  (Read 58228 times)

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
Re: uSupply Custom LCD
« Reply #225 on: October 29, 2017, 04:59:47 pm »
There are other technologies which are sort of like eink but better, here's one example:

It's expensive though.

Offline aandrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #226 on: October 29, 2017, 05:06:37 pm »
I am not a fan of LCDs for instrumentation. Glare, low contrast ratio, low resolution.

Give me graphical OLED or VFD for high end, segmented VFD for mid and plain old regular 7 segment LEDs and illuminated indicators (think icons with an LED behind to light up when they're active) for low end.

graphical LCDs and segmented LCDs are actually a "feature" point that turn me off of selecting an instrument.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #227 on: October 29, 2017, 05:41:54 pm »
Hey I just read that off datasheet from your own link to a product, 100% facts here. E-ink would just be a novel(and have obvious problems that are not that easy to solve unless you buy ready-made one, like backlight), LCD is just much better fit for the job
That was not my link or proposition. I'm just somewhat aware of the capabilities of the technology. Again, let's be factual.

I don't quite understand the comment about "ready made". LCD would be too, right? The same applies to both technologies.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #228 on: October 29, 2017, 05:45:23 pm »
Probably not - E-ink is slow, but also has the risk that something's gone wrong/crashed, and the display is still showing 3v when the PSU is outputting 24V.
Basing a production design on surplus parts is also very risky, unless they are so cheap you can buy a reasonable lifetime's worth of stock.
See, that's a real argument. Power supplies have to be safe.

Offline gardner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #229 on: October 29, 2017, 08:22:06 pm »
Personally I am another advocate for a bar graph or % of set-current display.  I also want to have the current shown in mA where appropriate.  Here is a craptacular mock-up of a way to shoehorn those features in.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:24:37 pm by gardner »
--- Gardner

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
« Reply #230 on: October 29, 2017, 08:36:36 pm »
Did you change the main power regulating circuit (LT3080/81 + op-amp loops)? or the changes are done in other places?

Yes, the LT3080 had protection and other issues.
When are we expected to get a new video / updated schematic?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #231 on: October 29, 2017, 09:07:23 pm »
I am not a fan of LCDs for instrumentation. Glare, low contrast ratio, low resolution.

Give me graphical OLED or VFD for high end, segmented VFD for mid and plain old regular 7 segment LEDs and illuminated indicators (think icons with an LED behind to light up when they're active) for low end.

graphical LCDs and segmented LCDs are actually a "feature" point that turn me off of selecting an instrument.
Both VFD and OLED aren't as durable as LCD. They tend to wear out or become unobtainable. Longevity is important in products like these, much more than it is in the mobile phone or general consumer markets.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #232 on: October 29, 2017, 09:14:59 pm »

Both VFD and OLED aren't as durable as LCD. They tend to wear out or become unobtainable. Longevity is important in products like these, much more than it is in the mobile phone or general consumer markets.

What about professional bench PSU? what do they use?

I aid your point of longevity but I don't think TFTs, OLEDs, and others are bad. It all depends on your estimated lifespan of the product until it becomes in its late age.

I am still a fan of high quality (and small) touch TFTs with lots of menus and options, EEZ-supply is the way to go and the model to follow here. You can still have your classical rotary encoder though.

Quick important question: what is the price dave wants to tag to this PSU? this answers a lot.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2017, 09:20:03 pm »
What about professional bench PSU? what do they use?

I aid your point of longevity but I don't think TFTs, OLEDs, and others are bad. It all depends on your estimated lifespan of the product until it becomes in its late age.

I am still a fan of high quality (and small) touch TFTs with lots of menus and options, EEZ-supply is the way to go and the model to follow here. You can still have your classical rotary encoder though.

Quick important question: what is the price dave wants to tag to this PSU? this answers a lot.
What about professional test gear? Some have used VFD in the past, some have used OLED, and both turn out to be less durable than simpler LED and LCD solutions. You could also argue that you don't care about the gear working over 15 or 20 years, which isn't unfair.

It should be noted that OLED may have had some issues because the technology was new back then and not quite as developed as it is now.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #234 on: October 29, 2017, 10:02:00 pm »
A PSU has simple and mostly obvious UI requirements.
Almost nobody will be interested in hacking it unless the firmware actively sucks.
A custom LCD is almost certainly going to be the cheapest (display+drive hardware+CPU resources to drive it) option if the volumes are there. It also allows more flexibility of shape/size than an off-the-shelf LCD, and therefore more flexibility of panel layout, for optimum space usage of an off-the-shelf case.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #235 on: October 30, 2017, 01:22:54 am »
Well, if anything, this thread has been an awesome reminder of why not to open designs up for contribution before the features are decided...
 :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :scared:

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #236 on: October 30, 2017, 02:00:59 am »
Well, if anything, this thread has been an awesome reminder of why not to open designs up for contribution before the features are decided...
 :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :scared:
Wasn't that the point? You take the suggestions you like and leave the rest.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #237 on: October 30, 2017, 02:43:12 am »
When are we expected to get a new video / updated schematic?

When it's finished.

Offline Fire Doger

• Regular Contributor
  • Stefanos
« Reply #238 on: October 31, 2017, 11:01:18 am »
Hello Dave,

As a newbie in mass production I am wondering why you don't make a poll about some features which seems to "bug" some members (ex. lcd). It looks like you did a research (referring on Newhaven on older post)

I mean something like:
80-100$ with TFT ++ any other associated features like max current, size etc...
50-70$ with custom lcd ++...

Is it because you are targeting on how you want to look-cost-use and less on profit, the results from that kind of polls are inaccurate or for other reasons?

I am just curious,

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #239 on: October 31, 2017, 12:28:14 pm »
Hello Dave,
As a newbie in mass production I am wondering why you don't make a poll about some features which seems to "bug" some members (ex. lcd). It looks like you did a research (referring on Newhaven on older post)

It doesn't matter what you do you will never be able to please a majority. Product design by poll or public opinion does not work.

The following users thanked this post: MT, Fire Doger

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #240 on: October 31, 2017, 01:05:42 pm »
Hello Dave,

It doesn't matter what you do you will never be able to please a majority. Product design by poll or public opinion does not work.
No it doesn't, though more eyes on a problem can often come up with good ideas or spot things you've not considered - just needs suitable filtering

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: TimNJ, prasimix

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #241 on: October 31, 2017, 01:09:41 pm »
Design by committee produces the most horrible products. Besides, it's been shown that people will happily vote in a poll, but don't always put their money where their mouth is afterwards. If you at least believe in your product, it won't be so bad.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #242 on: October 31, 2017, 01:25:51 pm »
OK now the LCD is defined, a nice CPU suggestion to have many very good measurements, and all LCD control

Precision Metrology with Segment LCD MCUs based on Arm® Cortex®-M0+

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/fact-sheet/KNTSKM3XFS.pdf
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:36:53 pm by ebclr »

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #243 on: November 01, 2017, 09:46:52 pm »
Hello Dave,

No it doesn't, though more eyes on a problem can often come up with good ideas or spot things you've not considered - just needs suitable filtering

Design by committee produces the most horrible products. Besides, it's been shown that people will happily vote in a poll, but don't always put their money where their mouth is afterwards. If you at least believe in your product, it won't be so bad.

It is true that most good designs are spearheaded by a single architect, so I agree that Dave should follow his vision on the product. That said, it is also just as important to remember that just because you think your product is great, doesn't mean everyone else will think the same. This seems to come up on The Amp Hour pretty frequently. Whether it was Bunnie or Gerry Roston or others, they all emphasized the importance of really understanding what the customer (or the world) needs before jumping into product design. That's something I've definitely learned over time, too.

So on that note, as Mike has said, a lot of nonsensical feature requests will come your way, but there also may be some really valuable input buried in that "noise".
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:52:53 pm by TimNJ »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #244 on: November 01, 2017, 10:24:12 pm »
It is true that most good designs are spearheaded by a single architect, so I agree that Dave should follow his vision on the product. That said, it is also just as important to remember that just because you think your product is great, doesn't mean everyone else will think the same. This seems to come up on The Amp Hour pretty frequently. Whether it was Bunnie or Gerry Roston or others, they all emphasized the importance of really understanding what the customer (or the world) needs before jumping into product design. That's something I've definitely learned over time, too.

So on that note, as Mike has said, a lot of nonsensical feature requests will come your way, but there also may be some really valuable input buried in that "noise".
Obviously. I'm not questioning the thread.

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #245 on: November 01, 2017, 10:33:29 pm »
I just quoted you because I agreed with your sentiment. My reply was directed at Dave and anyone else developing a product (including a reminder to myself!)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:37:43 pm by TimNJ »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #246 on: November 01, 2017, 10:35:08 pm »
I just quoted you because I agreed with your sentiment. My reply was directed at Dave and anyone else developing a product (including a reminder to myself!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apologies, I misunderstood.

Offline aandrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #247 on: November 02, 2017, 01:04:55 am »

My ancient Fluke 8842A would like to have a word with you about VFD longevity.

At least when it comes to VFDs, they only tend to go bad quickly if they're poor quality or abused.  And I agree with you; longevity is important in bench equipment. I wasn't referring to full colour OLED so much as the more inexpensive, lower density OLEDs used for these kinds of equipment..

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #248 on: November 02, 2017, 02:07:49 am »
Well it depends on what device in question do.

Assuming a display have say 20k hours lifetime, that can be ~10 years working in lab, decades working for hobbyist, or a bit over 2 years if run 24/7.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #249 on: November 02, 2017, 02:10:13 am »
My ancient Fluke 8842A would like to have a word with you about VFD longevity.

At least when it comes to VFDs, they only tend to go bad quickly if they're poor quality or abused.  And I agree with you; longevity is important in bench equipment. I wasn't referring to full colour OLED so much as the more inexpensive, lower density OLEDs used for these kinds of equipment..
Well, they're known to cause real issues in proper high end gear on a relevant scale. OLED is also known to cause issues, in lower density screens too, even though that might be due to the technology not being very mature.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf