Author Topic: uSupply Custom LCD  (Read 58193 times)

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
Re: uSupply Custom LCD
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2017, 06:52:22 am »
If it is custom, how can you drive it via MCU? I mean, will it be the same like other LCDs?
LCD controller chip. This was already mentioned in this thread.

I mean, its segments are different than traditional 16x2 LCDs. Can it work with controller chips used with other LCDs? if so, then something like Arduino library is capable of using it but it needs some tweaking to modify segments since they are different than traditional LCDs.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2017, 06:56:41 am »
I mean, its segments are different than traditional 16x2 LCDs.
16x2 LCDs use LCD controllers specifically designed to control displays like that. There are other controllers that just control the matrix of arbitrary segments (in this case 8 x 32 = 256 segments max).

Can it work with controller chips used with other LCDs?
It is a bare glass, it can be used with any controller capable of driving enough segments (and that specific arrangement of segments).

if so, then something like Arduino library is capable of using it but it needs some tweaking to modify segments since they are different than traditional LCDs.
That's Arduino problems.
Alex

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2017, 08:04:25 am »
No room/segments for a bargraph? A current bargraph would be a handy feature on a PSU.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2017, 08:21:09 am »
Other than a linear display aka bargraph the latest version looks great.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2017, 08:29:47 am »
Just curious what would a bar graph be good for? Faster response so you can see current bouncing up and down?

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2017, 08:32:07 am »
Just curious what would a bar graph be good for? Faster response so you can see current bouncing up and down?
It would be useful to see how close you are to a set current before CC kicks in.
Alex

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2017, 09:56:00 am »
Yes.
This is hard to see on a digital display, even one that updates quickly.

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2017, 11:51:24 am »
Yes.
This is hard to see on a digital display, even one that updates quickly.

Ooohh.. Old-school VU-meter "peak-hold" functionality would be awesome for getting an idea of inrush-currents and peaks.

The following users thanked this post: ludzinc

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2017, 03:52:37 pm »
New version looks nice, altho knowing what uSupply will actually do aside from current limit + power/charge calculation would be helpful

Ooohh.. Old-school VU-meter "peak-hold" functionality would be awesome for getting an idea of inrush-currents and peaks.

Let the scope creep begin ;D At that point probably graphical LCD would make more sense and then you can just graph it, or just... display as text ("Ipp/Vpp in last minute", Iavg, Ip-p etc.)... and if you need those you might want to export it via serial or save somewhere and are probably few $ more in parts count and outside scope of the project  :-//

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2017, 04:40:41 pm »
Latest version:

Couldn't move the lock and add a m above the V and A?
I'd personally find 1 mA more pleasant to look at than 0.001 A,
and if hardware allows you could go down to 0,1 mA or even lower, much more practical for dealing with small electronics projects.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2017, 04:54:18 pm »
"1 mA" and "0.001 A" have very different meaning. I doubt this thing will have multimeter-quality frontend, so its accuracy at low currents is not going to be super high.

and if hardware allows you could go down to 0,1 mA or even lower, much more practical for dealing with small electronics projects.
Use multimeters.

Stop with the feature creep. That's how 99% community projects die.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Frank, Howardlong

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2017, 05:32:04 pm »
"1 mA" and "0.001 A" have very different meaning. I doubt this thing will have multimeter-quality frontend, so its accuracy at low currents is not going to be super high.

(000)1 mA is still the same as 0,001 A and IMHO more practical for smaller electronics.

Use multimeters.

The whole point of this uSupply is it's small size and practicality, the need of adding multimers to get some half accurate readings almost defeats having a read-out on the display at all and would take away a large selling point.

Stop with the feature creep. That's how 99% community projects die.

I don't think it is a community project, Dave posted a couple of drawings for us to shoot at, in the end it is going to be a commercial product.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2017, 05:42:21 pm »
The whole point of this uSupply is it's small size and practicality, the need of adding multimers to get some half accurate readings almost defeats having a read-out on the display at all and would take away a large selling point.
And you can estimate and order of magnitude just fine. If you need an actual measurement - use measurement tools. All in one never works well.

I don't think it is a community project
Me neither, but this demand for random features is very indicative of community projects. And in this case only one aspect was exposed, and people suggest the device should do all that things they want.
Alex

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2017, 07:17:44 pm »
Maybe an auto/manual range indicator.
Perhaps also remote/comms indicator if there is an interface (though could maybe use (flashing) padlock.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2017, 08:02:32 pm »
Also , if this is a product that may be optionally working from battery only (disconnected from mains), maybe it would make sense to have a low battery voltage indicator

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2017, 08:37:28 pm »
https://youtu.be/WoRJOCdNahc?t=17m38s

'Nuff said. 

(I can't figure out how to embed the video, but the link goes to a relevant spot in the John Kenny interview.)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 08:39:44 pm by KE5FX »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2017, 08:40:35 pm »
'Nuff said. 
If this thing had VFD, he would have justified that as well. That's called marketing.
Alex

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2017, 08:48:43 pm »
'Nuff said. 
If this thing had VFD, he would have justified that as well. That's called marketing.

In 2010 you might be able to argue the point one way or the other.  In 2017, no.

It only makes sense to use an antique fixed-segment LCD if you know you will not face any market competition.  It's a hobby project in that case, not a commercial one.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2017, 08:54:05 pm »
It only makes sense to use an antique fixed-segment LCD if you know you will not face any market competition.  It's a hobby project in that case, not a commercial one.
..or you care about power consumption.
Or long-term security of supply
Or cost.
Or sunlight readability.

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2017, 09:05:08 pm »
..or you care about power consumption.
Or long-term security of supply
Or cost.
Or sunlight readability.

I'm skeptical about the middle two, certainly.  When you design something with a weird part -- and a custom LCD is certainly a "weird part" -- you are at the mercy of your supplier, specifically future changes to their minimums and lead times.  Cost-wise, the best way to attack that problem is just to assume that you'll have to hit alibaba.com every so often to find the next big load of surplus panels that someone's dumping on the market. 

Power consumption... well, it's a power supply, isn't it?

Sunlight readability was one of the many Achilles' heels that was going to sink the iPhone, as I recall.

(Edit: yes, I know, the decision's made and no longer open to debate, which is fine.  But I couldn't resist posting the link to the Kenny interview, since Dave seemed so receptive to his point at the time.)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:14:17 pm by KE5FX »

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2017, 09:10:58 pm »
Actually this is an EEVBlog project.  The revenue from the video discussing the making of the custom LCD will probably cover the cost. I'm looking forward to seeing the video.

Offline jbb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2017, 09:14:05 pm »
I think that’s a good start.

Custom character LCDs really are great for visibility and clarity, especially under variable lighting conditions. Plus they use a lot less power (which may or may not be relevant here.)

On the multi-colour backlight front, do remember that there are colourblind people out there.

Assuming you’re not running into trouble with segment count, I would suggest the following (most useful to least IMHO):
- Error
- CP (constant power)
- Over currrnt trip
- Over voltage trip
- Remote
- Ohm, kOhm indicators (in case someone wants to make a uLoad)

As others have suggested, a bar graph could be nice but isn’t critical.

Edit: removed stuff that was already done (I was late to party...)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:38:12 pm by jbb »

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #172 on: October 25, 2017, 09:17:38 pm »
As others have suggested, a bar graph could be nice but isn’t critical.

I really like the bar graph idea.  :-+  I always want to know how close I am to my preset current limit, but none of my bench supplies presents that information in an easy-to-read form.

Online max_torque

• Super Contributor
    • bitdynamics
« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2017, 09:26:02 pm »
Nice Dave.

Can you fix the kerning on the mJ and Wh. It will help legibility and look more polished.

I didn't even notice the kerning problem, it happened in the conversion from vector artwork to png. Weird.

That already looks a lot more mature than the previous version. I like the increased legibility of the things in solid blocks.

I do notice that the MIN/MAX aren't sized the same on the volt side of things. That should of course be a minor fix.

Yeah that was fixed, forgot to update the section with the MIN/MAX template.

Thanks everyone!

From a intuition point, i'd have MAX above MIN (rather than the otherway around) on the display.  In fact, i might have:

MAX
CC
MIN

to make it even more intuitive

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2017, 09:28:02 pm »
From a intuition point, i'd have MAX above MIN (rather than the otherway around) on the display.  In fact, i might have:
MIN/MAX segments will never be seen at the same time. What difference does it make?
Alex

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf