Author Topic: USB High Power 3A per port hub based on USB2514B  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Lt_FlashTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
USB High Power 3A per port hub based on USB2514B
« on: September 06, 2019, 11:40:46 am »
Hi guys,
Just want to show you my new project that seems to be working quite well. It's a USB2514B-based USB 2.0 High Speed hub with MCU to monitor and control currents, voltages and temperature of the PCB. It's only a double-sided PCB and I know that I'm violating 90Ohm impedance USB requirement with it but it works quite well up to speeds of 40-50MBytes/sec when I'm uploading or downloading data from USB sticks or USB drives. It also supports currents up to 3A per port due to the use of TLV62130 converter. It can get quite hot if all ports are used at 3A, up to 70-80C but handles these currents quite well. MCU used to monitor the circuit and to provide USB2514B with all data necessary via I2C bus is Atmel (Microchip) SAML21E18B. All the data is presented via USART port for now as project is still under development, but later on this would be shown at LCD screen like ST7735 or any other one that uses 3 or 4 wire SPI bus. I believe that 2-layer boards are good enough for such projects and save you a lot of money when designing some not-too-critical USB high speed projects. You can have a look at schematics and board design here:

https://workspace.circuitmaker.com/Projects/Details/LtFlash/USB-High-Power-hub

Please let me know what you think about this projects and ask me any questions about it. I'm using Atmel Studio 7.0 in a simplest polled mode to configure USB2514B from SAML21 and then get all the ADC readings for voltages, currents and temperatures. ZXTC1022 is used to monitor current as SAML21E18B doesn't have enough legs to just monitor both sides of a current-measuring resistor, if you use 64 or 100-pin version you can easily get away from using that current monitor. Also, LTC2950 is used just because I wanted to have a possibility of soft switch on-off, it can be removed from the project completely or replaced with a simple switch and MOSFET. Reverse voltage protection is very basic and consists of a P-Channel MOSFET, can also be dropped if you want to save some money. In that case project comes down to USB2514B, TPS562201 to convert voltages from 4.5V up to 17V down to 3.3V to power USB2514B and SAML21, and TLV62130 to power each individual USB port from input 6-17V rail.

USB251x is quite useful for any project that has an MCU and some other USB devices, it allows you to create a good 'network' on single PCB that has different USB devices. My project is basically just an example on how to use it and how to monitor all system parameters and represent them either via USB to SAML21, or by USART, or on LCD screen.

Thanks!

Offline RIKRIK

• Contributor
Re: USB High Power 3A per port hub based on USB2514B
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 10:37:06 pm »
Thanks for posting , interesting project :), are you going to go down the hub route, or maybe even a pci header on it, so it could sit inside a computer 👌. That way you don't have to bother with a enclosure .

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf