Author Topic: Bipolar Stepper Motor Driver Help  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Twistx77Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Bipolar Stepper Motor Driver Help
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:13:18 pm »
Hi, I'm working in a design that includes a stepper motor driver, I've been looking for different IC's in Farnell and I've found one that might work for me.

It's the ON's LV8711T. The question that I have is that since I don't want to use it in constant current mode and I¡m not sure if I will need a capacitor for the CHOP pin since I won't use it in constant current mode.

I guess not but in that case, should I leave it open or should I connect it elsewhere?

I hope someone can give me some help with this since the datasheet doesn't specifies anything regarding this matter.

I would also appreciate any other recommend IC to drive a bipolar stepper motor.

Thank you

Datasheet: http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/LV8711T-D.PDF

Offline Short Circuit

• Frequent Contributor
    • White Bream electronics R&D
Re: Bipolar Stepper Motor Driver Help
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:19:03 pm »
No idea about the CHOP capacitor,
but why select this device if all you're after is a simple H-bridge driver?

Or, why don't you want to use current control? Much better control of the motor with less risk of burning the windings.

Also, many stepper drivers exist with the stepping sequence integrated, these can be controlled much easier using STEP pulses and Enable+Direction signals.

Offline Twistx77Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Bipolar Stepper Motor Driver Help
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:21:42 pm »
Hi,

Thank you for your opinion, I've chosen the LV8711 because it was cheap and also because I've never used one of those that already implement the control of the stepper.

Do you have any recommendation?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf