Author Topic: I am geting a masive project on my lap!  (Read 10097 times)

Offline TrananTopic starter

• Contributor
  • A Emerging power engineer.
Re: I am geting a masive project on my lap!
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 06:05:54 pm »
The crane problem is most likely due to muck on the power pick up rails, I have seen that build up to the point that the crane ceases to work but until it does you get a lot of arcing.

This is a spanking new building! max 6 months. so hopeful it is some what clean!

Then the crane problem is not yours it's the suppliers of the crane, one less job for you.

Hope so. I really do. but it depend if it the power supply or the motors on the crane.

Offline madsci

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 05:57:48 am »
This sounds like fun...I'm serious!

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 01:17:35 pm »
I've spent the last 9 months since graduating working as an electrical engineer for a building services consultancy.

First thing you want to do is make a site wide single line diagram. This will have your main power distribution from the incoming power (HV/LV transformer, or utility feed in) to each switchboard (and how each switchboard feeds off another if cascaded that way).

Second, make a schedule of circuits in each distribution board including breaker ratings (ie 3ph 250A breaker, 1ph 63A etc).

Third, determine which loads/outlets are connected to each circuit.

You need to work logically from the top down, rather than starting at the outlets, otherwise it'll be a nightmare.

Hopefully the installer did at least some documentation. A list of circuits within the distribution panel door (sometimes in a plastic holder), labelling of circuit cables or outlets, has to be something otherwise it would have been hard to install in the first place!

Once you have a proper schematic of the layout, you can begin to do load logging and see what is drawing power and how much. Tripping sounds like an undersized breaker or incorrect trip settings.

It get's to be a lot more fun (and a bit of a nightmare) when you have to create proper 3D layouts in something like Revit ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:19:43 pm by metalphreak »

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 08:27:36 pm »
I've spent the last 9 months since graduating working as an electrical engineer for a building services consultancy.

First thing you want to do is make a site wide single line diagram. This will have your main power distribution from the incoming power (HV/LV transformer, or utility feed in) to each switchboard (and how each switchboard feeds off another if cascaded that way).

Second, make a schedule of circuits in each distribution board including breaker ratings (ie 3ph 250A breaker, 1ph 63A etc).

Third, determine which loads/outlets are connected to each circuit.

You need to work logically from the top down, rather than starting at the outlets, otherwise it'll be a nightmare.

Hopefully the installer did at least some documentation. A list of circuits within the distribution panel door (sometimes in a plastic holder), labelling of circuit cables or outlets, has to be something otherwise it would have been hard to install in the first place!

Once you have a proper schematic of the layout, you can begin to do load logging and see what is drawing power and how much. Tripping sounds like an undersized breaker or incorrect trip settings.

It get's to be a lot more fun (and a bit of a nightmare) when you have to create proper 3D layouts in something like Revit ;)

Thank you! And I got a email that the board of director of the sight want a presentation of this when I am done. So "NO" pressure.  :scared:

Offline Phoenix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 05:57:44 am »
Have any of you guys been involved in a similar project?
/Thomas

I've done a similar project for dozens of exchanges. I was responsible for taking the electricians marked up drawings and putting them into CAD/simulation to do load and fault studies, CB ratings etc. I also visited several sites to confirm specific connection arrangements (things get very confusing when you start to include several layers of redundancy, change over switching, a dozen Gensets, UPSs, as you would get in a 15 story exchange building).

Is it a factory style building with some offices? Or a multi-story building with electrical risers etc.? You may want to layout your drawing based on levels or major rooms. hopefully there are some drawings you can start from, and every DB should have a connection/CB schedule. One of the biggest problems with large exchanges/buildings is that contractors do their drawing for that specific part of the circuit only, and they are not reflected into any other drawing.

I suggest you start from the main transformer and work your way out to the final DB's before tackling the power points and lights themselves.

As for working out DB to DB connections if you have access to individual conductors you can use a clamp on current meter to measure the current at both ends of a wire and if they match it's a good indicator they are the same cable. Are you an electrician, allowed to take the covers off DBs etc? Or will you be able to get the help of one?

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 10:30:32 am »
Remember that the company will want you to succeed. You being there costs them money and if they are bringing in a new graduate then they should know that they are making an investment and the more effort they put into your mentoring the larger their reward will be.

A good manager will only allow you to stray so far before guiding you back in the right direction and I'd be surprised if you're left for more than a couple of days without enough checking happening to ensure that you are going in the right direction. Were I the boss I'd define what I needed to be done to ensure a good result was achieved and ask you to define how you could achieve that. A day later we'd sit down and go through your plan and I may make suggestions to improve it if I thought that was necessary. Then I'd check on progress about once a day and provide what help was necessary to ensure success.

Any manager that leaves a fresh graduate for five weeks without guidance is taking a significant risk.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 01:06:53 pm »
Don't forget most of these guys were graduates at one stage, so they know how much (or how little) practical knowledge you (don't) have  :scared:  :-DD

It's normal to feel like you're expected to know everything, but you aren't. If in doubt, ask questions. Be at least a little bit prepared before you go and ask, like "this is how I was thinking of doing it, is there a better way to go about it?"

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 11:12:03 pm »
Remember that the company will want you to succeed. You being there costs them money and if they are bringing in a new graduate then they should know that they are making an investment and the more effort they put into your mentoring the larger their reward will be.

A good manager will only allow you to stray so far before guiding you back in the right direction and I'd be surprised if you're left for more than a couple of days without enough checking happening to ensure that you are going in the right direction. Were I the boss I'd define what I needed to be done to ensure a good result was achieved and ask you to define how you could achieve that. A day later we'd sit down and go through your plan and I may make suggestions to improve it if I thought that was necessary. Then I'd check on progress about once a day and provide what help was necessary to ensure success.

Any manager that leaves a fresh graduate for five weeks without guidance is taking a significant risk.

Thank you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf