Author Topic: TPS62740 Switching Converter - Efficiency graphs  (Read 536 times)

Offline Nikos A.Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
TPS62740 Switching Converter - Efficiency graphs
« on: January 30, 2020, 09:30:04 am »
Hi everyone, I am looking the datasheet of the TPS62740 Switching Converter. On page 15, figures 9 - 13 show the efficiency vs output current for several Vin options. The graphs are for CTRL=GND meaning that the load is disabled (page 3 - Pin Functions table). Where does the output current go if the load is disabled? I suppose that the graphs should be generated with the load enabled instead disabled...

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps62740.pdf

Thanks in advance

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
Re: TPS62740 Switching Converter - Efficiency graphs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 11:53:37 am »
Hi everyone, I am looking the datasheet of the TPS62740 Switching Converter. On page 15, figures 9 - 13 show the efficiency vs output current for several Vin options. The graphs are for CTRL=GND meaning that the load is disabled (page 3 - Pin Functions table). Where does the output current go if the load is disabled? I suppose that the graphs should be generated with the load enabled instead disabled...

Thanks in advance

Hi,

There is a load switch inside the TPS62740 that is independent of the main output:

So it is possible to measure the efficiency of the main output with the load switch off.
In fact the load switch, when on, increases the quiescent current by 12.5uA. This will impact the light load efficiency.

Regards,
Jay_Diddy_B

The following users thanked this post: Nikos A.

Offline Nikos A.Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: TPS62740 Switching Converter - Efficiency graphs
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 01:16:42 pm »
Thanks Jay_Diddy_B, now it's clear to me!!

Nick

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf