Author Topic: Together United For A New Internet!  (Read 13597 times)

Offline Justin567Topic starter

Re: Together United For A New Internet!
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 01:37:51 pm »
Edit: Why is this thread under projects anyways?

Because the kid is under the mistaken impression that by posting in a few forums he can gather the insane funding and technical knowledge required to start his own internet.

Why would this take an insane amount of money? I am not planning on running new wire.

Offline Alex30

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 01:43:13 pm »

Because the kid is under the mistaken impression that by posting in a few forums he can gather the insane funding and technical knowledge required to start his own internet.

Why would this take an insane amount of money? I am not planning on running new wire.

Do you know what an internet backbone looks like? Picture a couple of levels of an office building, filled to the ceiling with supercomputers.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 01:45:45 pm »

Then how is it going to be a new internet which isn't under the control of the very companies you're complaining about?

Either you have your own infrastructure and your own rules, or you're still paying someone else for the privilege of being told how fast you can go.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 02:24:52 pm »
If you get a land line and use the fastest modem you'll still pay around $30/month if you are lucky with no long distance and throttled back to 56Kbps. That is progress!

Meh.

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 03:21:28 pm »

The article linked in your original post is not complaining about servers or web pages causing problems, it's complaining about the companies that control the pipe that connects those servers to each other.  Setting up a few servers that host a few html pages doesn't change anything if they still use the same monopoly-controlled bandwidth-throttled pipe to send that information to somebody on the other side of the country/world.

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 03:42:52 pm »
I don't complain about speed, I can download 1GB in 1 minute  :-+
I don't think I could stand going back to that kind of slow throughput.  :)

Might have to put Aunt Bee back on the switchboard too!  (for those who have no clue who Aunt Bee is, she's the switch board lady on the Andy Griffith Show - Mayberry Sitcom)
Recharged Volt-Nut

Offline Justin567Topic starter

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2014, 05:26:28 pm »

The article linked in your original post is not complaining about servers or web pages causing problems, it's complaining about the companies that control the pipe that connects those servers to each other.  Setting up a few servers that host a few html pages doesn't change anything if they still use the same monopoly-controlled bandwidth-throttled pipe to send that information to somebody on the other side of the country/world.

But we would use the phone service. What will they do, make out phone calls sound bad?

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2014, 05:27:37 pm »
But we would use the phone service. What will they do, make out phone calls sound bad?

Modems don't work very well through voice codecs. So yes, that is literally what they'd do.

Yes, phone backbones are going digital. They run on the internet.

Do you begin to see the problem?

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 05:28:19 pm »

Who are you planning to call?  An ISP?  Then you're back to square one.

Even for point-to-point connections, the same cable companies control the phone lines too.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 05:34:57 pm by suicidaleggroll »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 05:29:17 pm »
Who are you planning to call?  An ISP?  Then you're back to square one.

Why, the datacentre he can throw together with some spare wire and a couple servers which were abandoned as out of date last decade, obviously..

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 05:36:43 pm »
your post is just as useful as my earlier (deleted) post :) even if he get the funding no matter how rich mr america is, this is pure lunacy. but i can sense there are hidden supporter(s) lie in this (very technical) forum/thread.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline SirNick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2014, 07:48:02 pm »
Do you know what an internet backbone looks like? Picture a couple of levels of an office building, filled to the ceiling with supercomputers.
Wait... what?  :D  Do YOU know what an internet backbone looks like?  That's not what the one where I work looks like.  Lots of teal plastic, blinky lights, blue-lit leaf logos, and patch panels.  Not so much computers.  (Just a few, really.)

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 08:12:26 pm »
Wait... what?  :D  Do YOU know what an internet backbone looks like?  That's not what the one where I work looks like.  Lots of teal plastic, blinky lights, blue-lit leaf logos, and patch panels.  Not so much computers.  (Just a few, really.)

Gee... I thought a backbone was where all the OC48's & OC192 Mux's and assorted hardware hungout!
Recharged Volt-Nut

Offline SirNick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 08:17:54 pm »
Yup.  That's pretty much the case.  Impressive by the sheer scale, but it's pretty much just where channels of traffic come in or jump off.  Not much place for computation.  Mostly the domain of ASICs.  (Despite all the hub-bub about software defined networking and the like.)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2014, 08:41:51 pm »
No thickwire anymore those were the days (10Base5), now the backbone is all fiber optics

http://dimbox.wordpress.com/2014/06/09/the-real-geography-of-the-internet-and-how-its-done/

And a picture of a underground fiber trunk that some construction crew accidentally cut
http://geeksontour.blogspot.com/2006/08/cut-cable-dead-website.html

although to me they look like twisted pair copper
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:51:17 pm by miguelvp »

Offline mathsquid

• Regular Contributor
  • I like math.
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2014, 10:25:52 pm »
Might have to put Aunt Bee back on the switchboard too!  (for those who have no clue who Aunt Bee is, she's the switch board lady on the Andy Griffith Show - Mayberry Sitcom)

No.  Aunt Bee was Andy's aunt.  The telephone operator (who was never seen) was named Sarah.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2014, 10:44:54 pm »
What about a scalable wireless P2P mesh network? Not really a replacement for the Internet but rather an addition that makes the most sense in densely populated areas. The mesh network itself can use existing technologies like 802.11 as well as more unusual technologies like zapping lasers between neighboring buildings. Also make good use of storage and computing power which both have evolved orders of magnitude faster than typical Internet services.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline SirNick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2014, 10:59:46 pm »
although to me they look like twisted pair copper
Hm, I'm pretty sure what we're seeing here is the formative stage of the stomach ulcer in the foreman whose job just went way over budget. ;)

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 11:00:21 pm »
How do you think the Internet got to where it is now?  Companies invested in communications facilities (e.g. fiber, routers, exchanges with other ISPs, etc).  And now they expect to make money operating them.  There is no real reason why more companies cannot enter the mix and compete for business as carriers.  But it will take big investments, and the shareholders will want to get paid.  And the cost of entry is way higher now than it was in the early 1990s, when the first commercial ISPs were operating on leased 56K and T1 lines (remember, this was more-or-less pre-WWW so it was mostly FTP, SMTP, and NNTP).

If you are serious, then you need to write an excellent business plan explaining how you will justify the investment.  Then find some investors and get to work.  This will not be a hobby but will probably take over your life for some years if you do it well.

Start by finding out what went wrong with MFS.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:57:25 pm by dfmischler »

Offline Alex30

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2014, 02:54:55 am »

Haha, I guess not. I have just seen photos. Regardless, not something that one could replicate with a couple of server racks lol

jucole

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2014, 11:48:16 am »
it's funny that cable ad revenue is down year on year and internet ad revenue is growing massive year on year.

2013 Internet Ad Revenues Soar To $42.8 Billion, Hitting Landmark High & Surpassing Broadcast Television For The First Time—Marks a 17% Rise Over Record-Setting Revenues in 2012

Q4 2013 Numbers Climb to $12.1 Billion, A 17% Surge in Revenues Over Same Time in 2012

The whole flow of ad revenue is changing and I suspect the losers are the ones pushing for a 2 tier system so they can fleece the money off the big winners.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf