Author Topic: Tips for Durable >20 Pin Connector  (Read 512 times)

Offline vladrovTopic starter

Tips for Durable >20 Pin Connector
« on: September 24, 2024, 03:00:50 pm »
I am searching for a connector for my DIY e-bike.

Ideally, the connector should handle:
  • 18 low-voltage, low-current connections
  • two 1A 120V connections
  • three 120A, 120V connections
It should also be waterproof, durable, capable of a couple of thousand mating cycles, and easy to connect/disconnect.

Since finding an affordable product that meets all these criteria seems impossible, I would also be happy with something that works without the high-current phase connections.

The best I’ve found so far is a Snaplock D-sub .

However, high mate cycle versions are difficult to find, rated for no more of 500 cycles and not waterproof

I would greatly appreciate your help and suggestions!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2024, 03:05:05 pm by vladrov »

Offline UncleMario

Re: Tips for Durable >20 Pin Connector
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2024, 03:27:34 pm »
Hello vladrov, I am relatively new to the forum and only have about 4 years of electronic experience so take my advice with a grain of salt.  :)

I did find something I think is affordable for this purpose. I think minimum this will require 2 different connectors for the very high voltage and amperage line. Three may be best to help isolate the data and power lines. I have linked a 25 pin power connector, and another which is more a traditional D-Sub with screw pins rather then a snap in. Let me know if this gets you close!  :-+

https://www.l-com.com/25-power-position-circular-connector-socket-housing-free-hanging-in-line-backshell-coupling-nut-px0820-s
https://www.amphenol-cs.com/product-series/d-sub-waterproof.html#

The following users thanked this post: vladrov

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2024, 04:26:56 pm »
Look at the middle connector on this page. Maybe something like that (it has small and big pins)? I would think you would be looking into Amphenol or Foxconn. But this webpage also lists out some big names in connectors world.
"Waterproof" to what standard, IP67, other? With water protection I would lean towards automotive and industrial categories of connectors.

https://www.fclane.com/news/understanding-different-connector-brands-we-stock
« Last Edit: September 24, 2024, 04:30:51 pm by Randy222 »

Offline MisterHeadache

• Contributor
    • Level UP EE Lab
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2024, 06:03:24 pm »
When it comes to connectors that are going to be exposed to a harsh environement, especially water, you can either go with expensive/proven choices that won't leak - or everything else that will leak.  That has been my experience.

Deutsch is one brand that is definitely the former.  The HD30 series is about as tough as they get.

Also I strongly recommend you split your power from your signals into separate connectors.  Especially at that high level of current.
Daryn 'MisterHeadache'

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, vladrov

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2024, 08:34:25 pm »
When it comes to connectors that are going to be exposed to a harsh environement, especially water, you can either go with expensive/proven choices that won't leak - or everything else that will leak.  That has been my experience.

Deutsch is one brand that is definitely the former.  The HD30 series is about as tough as they get.

Deutsch HD30 looks nice, but it’s only rated for 100 cycles, and I’ll need to make at least 40 cycles per month.

Hello vladrov, I am relatively new to the forum and only have about 4 years of electronic experience so take my advice with a grain of salt.  :)

I did find something I think is affordable for this purpose. I think minimum this will require 2 different connectors for the very high voltage and amperage line. Three may be best to help isolate the data and power lines. I have linked a 25 pin power connector, and another which is more a traditional D-Sub with screw pins rather then a snap in. Let me know if this gets you close!  :-+

https://www.l-com.com/25-power-position-circular-connector-socket-housing-free-hanging-in-line-backshell-coupling-nut-px0820-s
https://www.amphenol-cs.com/product-series/d-sub-waterproof.html#

The first option would work well. I’ve asked the manufacturer about the mating cycle rating since I couldn’t find it listed, and I’m currently waiting for their response.

The waterproof D-sub connectors work similarly to others I’ve found. However, I don't prefer them because they use screws, and I think it would be frustrating to unscrew and tighten them multiple times per day.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2024, 10:04:17 pm »
IP67 IEC60309 125A maybe, cost about $80. Only ~250 cycles though at 100A.
Maybe you could use one of the EV standards that is not used in germany, SAEJ1772, but that one I think under 80A.

Do you really expect to use 120A continuous power draw? Thats a motorcycle not an ebike.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2024, 11:15:02 pm »
Maybe you could use one of the EV standards that is not used in germany, SAEJ1772, but that one I think under 80A.

Do you really expect to use 120A continuous power draw? Thats a motorcycle not an ebike.

IP67 IEC60309 125A is too large for an e-bike and SAEJ1772 is also impractical for this application.

The 120A would only be a the theoretical maximum peak current for a few seconds, so perhaps a continuous 70-80A connector should be more than enough.

Now, I’m considering creating a custom 3D-printed connector for the phase wires and battery voltage using bullet connectors. If I go this route, I’ll only need to find a suitable waterproof, high-mating cycle connector for the data cables.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2024, 11:40:47 pm »

IP67 IEC60309 125A is too large for an e-bike and SAEJ1772 is also impractical for this application.

The 120A would only be a the theoretical maximum peak current for a few seconds, so perhaps a continuous 70-80A connector should be more than enough.

Now, I’m considering creating a custom 3D-printed connector for the phase wires and battery voltage using bullet connectors. If I go this route, I’ll only need to find a suitable waterproof, high-mating cycle connector for the data cables.

speakon is ~40A continuous afair

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2024, 01:16:34 pm »
Look at the middle connector on this page. Maybe something like that (it has small and big pins)? I would think you would be looking into Amphenol or Foxconn. But this webpage also lists out some big names in connectors world.
"Waterproof" to what standard, IP67, other? With water protection I would lean towards automotive and industrial categories of connectors.

https://www.fclane.com/news/understanding-different-connector-brands-we-stock

Conec does have connectors similar to the middle one from your link. I can't find where they can be purchased. Perhaps it's something quite exotic and probably expensive. Additionally, they are not designed for frequent connecting and disconnecting.

The ACA-B/GT series of Amphenol has variants with a high number of mating cycles. Unfortunately, I find it hard to navigate their catalog and website, and there aren’t many photos of the different models.

Do you think that if I go with a D-sub connector, I should buy it from Foxconn, or do they have a more suitable series for my application that I’m not aware of?

Yes, IP67 would be perfect because I wouldn’t have to worry, no matter the weather conditions. But as you see, it's a matter of compromise and a question of what options I have to choose from.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 01:42:48 pm by vladrov »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf