Author Topic: Fluorescent light fixture - wiring question  (Read 484 times)

Offline howdyTopic starter

Fluorescent light fixture - wiring question
« on: September 14, 2023, 06:21:17 am »
We recently had some fluorescent light fixtures in the garage replaced with new LED lighting. These fluorescent lights had been in place for over 30 years and were of the old magnetic ballast type.

Out of interest I had a closer look at the wiring configuration of these old fittings and noticed that the ballast (i.e inductor) in all cases was placed in the neutral (i.e return) path. I found this rather intriguing as every schematic and explanation I have seen concerning the operation of magnetic type fluorescent fittings has the ballast installed in the live path.  Obviously the old fittings had worked just fine but it leaves me puzzled whether the placement of the inductor matters in any way.   

Based on my limited understanding, either placement (i.e in the neutral or live path), would limit the current drawn by the tube (which is one of the reasons for the balllast in the first place), but I am less clear as to whether ballast placement would impact in any way the generation of high voltage required to establish the electrical arc across the tube electrodes. Is anyone able to provide an insight into this ?

Offline Shonky

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fluorescent light fixture - wiring question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 07:18:07 am »
Swapping live and neutral just inverts the AC sinusoidal waveform so as far as the tube is concerned it makes no difference.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 09:03:30 am »

Offline howdyTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 09:39:32 am »
Thanks for that reference. Will have a closer look

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 01:31:18 pm »
AFAIK Which wire is hot with single phase AC power really only matters from a safety standpoint, like if you're wiring up an edison base light socket, you want the screw at neutral rather than live to reduce shock risk. The load can't tell the difference, short of having an earth connection and circuitry to check e.g. outlet tester. At least in the US you see a lot of L-N reversed outlets, it isn't right, but it's a common assembly fault because it still functions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf