Author Topic: Standing Wave and Wave Propagation inside Copper Trace Simulation Software  (Read 1881 times)

Offline MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
i want to visualize in simulation program the effect of wave propagation and standing wave thats happening inside a length of transmission line, such as controlled impedance microstrip or simply a bare copper wire antenna. the input for the simulation are:

1) source impedance (signal generator)
2) transmission line's characteristic impedance and its length. conductor resistance value also usefull as in resistive coax cable
3) wave propagation speed (factor wrt speed of light)
3) load impedance at the end of transmission line

the output is visual simulation of wave on the length of transmission line, i can pick a point anywhere on the line and see voltage oscillation on that point. question:

1) does this kind of software (Windows) exist? i cant find in google what i want.
2) any materials needed if i want to make my own software? (i dont have a clue)

i dont expect to dig into electromagnet propagation or maxwell equation or anything that happens in the air, just simply enough to see voltage potential oscillation inside a conductor. what i want is something like this, but it has too few input to make it usefull. https://www.physicsclassroom.com/Physics-Interactives/Waves-and-Sound/Standing-Wave-Patterns/Standing-Wave-Patterns-Interactive
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Re: Standing Wave and Wave Propagation inside Copper Trace Simulation Software
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 10:11:55 am »
1) does this kind of software (Windows) exist? i cant find in google what i want.
2) any materials needed if i want to make my own software? (i dont have a clue)
1):
Free: openEMS + paraview + octave - there's a learning curve, but it works and they are all powerful tools.
Commercial: Search for FDTD simulators, quick result: https://www.remcom.com/xfdtd-3d-em-simulation-software

2):
The basic math is complicated, but straightforward. The actual implementation... see openEMS. It's one of those applications for which HPC exists.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 10:22:50 am »
Don't use simulation where analytic solutions exist - as in this case.

The equations are well known, graphs are available, and for better understanding you could plot the graphs from the equations yourself.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 10:37:45 am »

The equations are well known, graphs are available, and for better understanding you could plot the graphs from the equations yourself.
i mean... can you provide the link? so i can read and make my own program. i can just use sine formula and make some nice wave simulation, but impedance effect will not get accounted and hence less ideal simulation.

Free: openEMS + paraview + octave - there's a learning curve, but it works and they are all powerful tools.
Commercial: Search for FDTD simulators, quick result: https://www.remcom.com/xfdtd-3d-em-simulation-software
i've used HFSS, i think its similar grade to openEMS. afaik they dont show interactive (moving) wave. they only show some sort of still picture wave magnitude as rainbow pattern. i know we can get VSWR-vs-freq plot from them, but again, i need something interactive similar to link i've provided in OP.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 10:41:04 am »

i mean... can you provide the link? so i can read and make my own program. i can just use sine formula and make some nice wave simulation, but impedance effect will not get accounted and hence less ideal simulation.

Use google. If you can't do that then it is unlikely you will be able to understand the answers anyway.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 10:57:52 am »

i've used HFSS, i think its similar grade to openEMS. afaik they dont show interactive (moving) wave. they only show some sort of still picture wave magnitude as rainbow pattern. i know we can get VSWR-vs-freq plot from them, but again, i need something interactive similar to link i've provided in OP.

While I applaud the people behind openEMS for their work, I would hesitate to call it 'similar grade to openEMS'.

HFSS and similar can in fact plot moving fields, standing waves, in animation. I use it quite often.

That said, I agree with tggzzz - you are looking for a more basic analytical solution. Simply start with the classic telegraphers equations, plus the equations for the reflection coefficient. The telegraphers equations tell you how a wave propagates along a line, and the reflection coefficient will tell you what wave is propagating in either direction based on the source and load. Total field is just the sum of the two.
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer, Someone

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 11:09:02 am »
Use google. If you can't do that then it is unlikely you will be able to understand the answers anyway.
google with no keyword is useless... you still dont think i can google do you? ;) whats the purpose of forum? well, google with less ideal keyword is better than post with no answer anyway ;) now i will google more, no need to wait answer in forum. at least i've tried.

Simply start with the classic telegraphers equations, plus the equations for the reflection coefficient. The telegraphers equations tell you how a wave propagates along a line, and the reflection coefficient will tell you what wave is propagating in either direction based on the source and load. Total field is just the sum of the two.
ah now i have some keyword to type in google thanks. :-+

(as i've already mentioned, i dont need maxwell equation, so i specifically asking for a simpler thing i just dont know what its name is)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 11:16:40 am »
google with no keyword is useless... you still dont think i can google do you? ;) whats the purpose of forum? well, google with less ideal keyword is better than post with no answer anyway ;) now i will google more, no need to wait answer in forum. at least i've tried.

Simply start with the classic telegraphers equations, plus the equations for the reflection coefficient. The telegraphers equations tell you how a wave propagates along a line, and the reflection coefficient will tell you what wave is propagating in either direction based on the source and load. Total field is just the sum of the two.
ah now i have some keyword to type in google thanks. :-+

(as i've already mentioned, i dont need maxwell equation, so i specifically asking for a simpler thing i just dont know what its name is)

You already had plenty of keywords - you had written them yourself in your first post!

They would be more than sufficient for you to formulate more precisely directed queries.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 11:19:18 am by tggzzz »

Offline Etesla

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 01:00:57 pm »
The software you are looking for is called CST microwave studio. I'm not sure how much it costs, I got it for free as a student. You can use it to view and simulate any mechanical structure and it's electrical properties in 3D.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 05:30:57 pm »
they are the same thing imho... CST, HFSS, OpenEMS... they are Field Solver Simulator.. i read a little bit about telegrapher's equation, its a differential equation that only can be solved by some fancy numerical method such as monte carlo... there is no easy straight forward way for what i want (will read and find more)... and i cant find what i want in any field solver program based on reviews and introduction in youtube, at best i saw the typical 3d rainbow plot... keyword: interactive simulation openems

Offline inginfo

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 08:57:14 pm »
You can do such a simulation with Python / NumPy / SciPy. The electrical properties of the line must be described mathematically. A system of differential equations results, which can then be solved with the computer. See the attached example of an RG58 coaxial cable simulation.

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline rfeecs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 10:59:46 pm »
If all you want to do is look at the voltage along any point in the transmission line, you can use SPICE that has a transmission line element.  For example, I believe LTSPICE has the element LTLIN, where you can specify the R, L, G, C parameters for a lossy line.  You can divide the line in to two sections and connect a probe to the junction between the two sections.  Varying the length of the sections should allow you to probe the voltage at any point.

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf