Author Topic: Where to find some Atmega C coding help.  (Read 614 times)

Offline GoldieDPimpTopic starter

Where to find some Atmega C coding help.
« on: September 25, 2019, 03:23:40 pm »
Years ago my company built some circuit boards based on the atmega8.  It was way before arduino came along.  It was in around 2003, so the company has long been closed and lost track of all the people that helped develop code and design the boards for us.

Fast forward 15 years later and people are still using the boards and want updated firmware to change some operating features.  I've learned my way around the basic code, but can't seem to figure out how to do what I'm doing.

We used to just use a straight parallel cable to program them.  Now with the parallel port being a thing of the past, I'm also thinking of trying to update that.  We had a windows GUI that would allow you to change settings on the board through the parallel cable.  These days I'm thinking it would have to be done with like a USBasp programmer. But I have none of the source code for the windows software.

First thing is I need to find help changing the firmware.  Ideally, I could find someone to cheaply help me with a gui.  The problem is, since this is a basically dead project, I'm not going to be making much money off the deal, if any.

I've tried to find someone through the usual freelance websites, but all I seem to get are big businesses that are quoting me thousands of dollars. 

Is there any place that I might find help a little cheaper?  I understand designing a gui is going to take some fundage, but is there any place I might post trying to get someone that might like to make a few bucks by looking at the code for me?

Thanks for any help!

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
Re: Where to find some Atmega C coding help.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 03:48:39 pm »
Is there any place that I might find help a little cheaper?
There are programmers who may help for $9/hour. Ask Boeing.
Readers discretion is advised..

The following users thanked this post: MagicSmoker, Kilrah

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 04:45:32 pm »
For the price of an AVR programmer you may get a computer with LPT and Windows. Just saying. :)

As for the configuration application, start with figuring out whether it talks to the firmware or just writes some config bytes to EEPROM using standard programming interface of the ATmega. This can be deduced from the firmware alone. If it's the latter, you could use any programming dongle instead of LPT and just write a simple program to create .hex files with the right config bytes.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 06:32:31 pm »
You can find a process for programming the ATmega8  using an Arduino UNO as a programmer - search Google
This will work as long as the ICSP pins are available.

If there is enough memory left over and the serial port is available, you can use the Arduino to install a bootloader on the ATmega8 using ICSP and from that point forward, all device programming can be done with a USB->Serial adapter/cable/<whatever> and the Arduino IDE.

Do you have schematics?  Pictures of the board?  Source code listings?  Is the chip removable from the board (socketed)?

In many cases, it is easier to look at the external characteristics of a project and develop a new one from scratch.  But your customers want a firmware upgrade so that is probably out of the question.

I have no doubt that the estimates are in multiple thousands of dollars.

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 10:24:33 pm »
Go to

https://www.avrfreaks.net/

and raise the question.

I am sure You will find help there. If it transpires otherwise come back and PM me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf