Author Topic: Help with VGA extension cable  (Read 1109 times)

Offline alahTopic starter

• Contributor
Help with VGA extension cable
« on: March 31, 2020, 10:06:58 pm »
Hi ALL; I gogled for VGA connections and found some stuff, but I still have doubts and before blowing my very precious portable or Monitor I prefer consulting. I´m attatching a pinout for opinions, it supposed to be the bare minimum connections for it to work; Thanks.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
Re: Help with VGA extension cable
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 10:24:45 pm »
There are 1000 ways to blow up a device using a cable.  You need to tell us what you're doing, otherwise we're just guessing.

N.B. the N/C pins are optional, used for things like 'EDID'.   The bare minimum is all grounds, HSYNC, VSYNC and at least one colour channel (although some monitors may be picky and need a certain one or all three).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:59:24 pm by Whales »

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 11:59:09 pm »
Doh, it's in the title.  Apologies, "extension cable".

Some old CRT monitors might be damageable with bad sync pulses, but I think that's about it.  You probably want to use coax cable of the right impedence for VGA for each of those signals, otherwise you will get a blurry/bad mess on the other end.

I recommend cutting open a shorter VGA cable that you don't care about and having a look inside, see how it's made.

If you don't provide the EDID wires (marked as N/C in your diagram): you will have to manually force a resolution/mode on your computer, as it won't be able to auto-detect the monitor.

How long of an extension do you want to make?  After a certain distance it's really only practical using active (powered) VGA repeaters.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:00:52 am by Whales »

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 03:51:14 pm »

Online richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 04:04:25 pm »
I don't know what your length requirement is or what your budget is, but I've had good luck with these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-Cat5e-Cat6-Extender-300ft-Video-Repeater-Over-Ethernet-Cable-Up-to-100m/153881643459?hash=item23d40f89c3:m:mKgvrXZBFKzpB_tRnZmpVkQ&var=453930968948

I've not tried twisted pair VGA extensions, but I remember reading two key things: 1) It works 2) For long lengths the different twist rates between the pairs appear as differing propagation delays and you get poor horizontal alignment between the colours. I suspect that box has a balun per colour, and then does some clever munging with the fourth pair (and perhaps between pairs) to get the sync and audio in.

I'm curious over what length you've tried it and if you saw that effect?

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 04:16:44 pm »
IIRC the correct impedance is 75Ω and all color signals and HSYNC use coax in commercial cables, while the rest runs through normal wires.

Pin 9 shouldn't be used and isn't even present on some connectors. Pins 12 and 15 are needed for DDC (autodetection).
Wait, wrong. Pin 9 actually is used: it supplies 5V to the monitor. Probably required to power the DDC circuitry. Definitely don't connect it to ground.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:23:06 pm by magic »

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 04:28:38 pm »
I'm using 1600x1200 at 60Hz, about 40M.  No visible artifacts (to my eyes anyway).  They are Nokia monitors.  The signal runs from sender to Cat5 wall socket to closet patch panel to Cat5 wall socket to monitor.  One thing to note, these are being used to view "high res" video security cameras, not standard computer displays.  I suppose artifacts might show up with window borders, different fonts and that sort of thing.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 04:32:45 pm »
Magnitude of this effect is of course trivially estimated if one knows the horizontal resolution and refresh rate, cable length and the difference in propagation velocities (probably easy to find on the net).

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 05:45:23 pm »
I have never tried VGA over CAT 5 but I would start with these:
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ST121UTPEP-Monitor-Extender-feet/dp/B002KQ6ZD8

Offline Miyuki

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me on youtube
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 09:27:32 am »
I don't know what your length requirement is or what your budget is, but I've had good luck with these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-Cat5e-Cat6-Extender-300ft-Video-Repeater-Over-Ethernet-Cable-Up-to-100m/153881643459?hash=item23d40f89c3:m:mKgvrXZBFKzpB_tRnZmpVkQ&var=453930968948
These ones look like send it digital over Ethernet cable
As I look at it there is plenty of chipsets to convert video in any form (VGA, DVI, HDMI), sound and USB to data and send it over Ethernet and convert it back at other side

Offline alahTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 06:57:59 pm »
Thanks to ALL; I´ll have to wait to wait till quarantine is over to see if I can source the connectors and give it a try with cat5 or 6 cable.I need about 8 meters extension, meanwhile I´ll check another possible solution but that should be another topic; THANKs.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 12:39:12 am »
IIRC VGA is unbalanced (coax-style) signalling.  CAT5/6 is balanced (twisted-pair) style.  You may get poor results unless you use baluns every time you convert from unbal<>bal, ie each end of the CAT cable.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 06:09:15 am »
Not only that, impedance is wrong too. But there have always been reports on the Internet of people using Ethernet cabling to run VGA with some degree of success.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf