Author Topic: Software & tips for Rigol DS2072 ( DS2000 / DS4000 / DS6000 UltraVision DSOs )  (Read 380912 times)

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Good find Marmad
Does it work for Zoom, and can it add a Delay(time) compare function to RUU

Well, REF waveforms are fixed to the screen size - and you can only scale them vertically - not horizontally. But they do work in Zoom - and I'm testing different ways they might be used for work.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I'm trying to expand RUU to work fully with the UltraVision 4-channel DSOs - first with the DS4000, and then later with the DS1000Z.

Since I own neither of these, I'll need some help testing. Since the DS4000 is closer to the DS2000 in waveform display and REC/PLAYBACK features, I'm doing that one first - so for now, I'm looking for DS4000 owner(s) who are willing to test the following upcoming features:

1) Make sure all 4 waveforms (and parameters) are displayed correctly on the PC screen (CH1 and CH2 already work in the last version).This is almost ready to be tested - just a couple of days to go.

2) Make sure saving and plotting Frame Arrays works with all 4 channels. This will be done after step #1 is confirmed working and bug free. This should be fun, because, when working, it will allow anyone with an UltraVision DSO to play/plot frames from any other UltraVision DSO - regardless of how many channels your DSO has.

So could any prospective DS4000 testers please contact me here - or via PM?

Offline The Chump

• Contributor
I have the pleasure of being able to offer the services of my DS4054

Cheers
Alex

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I have the pleasure of being able to offer the services of my DS4054

Cheers
Alex

Great, Alex. The 4-channel version is almost ready for it's first test. All Rigol screen parameters are now being transferred - except I've re-designed the screen layout a bit to give more information - for example, the size of any BW filter is specified, and any two-level or two-source Trigger has much more information presented on the RUU screen than on the Rigol screen.

You had already tried the old RUU and seen it working with 2 channels on the DS4000, right?

Best,
Mark

Offline The Chump

• Contributor
Yes, although it has been a while ;)

kurtm

Today I installed RUU on my Win 7 Machine just to see if I could
do more than on my DS5054 directly.
After installing NI-VISA Runtime 5.2 I simply started RUU.
But as it happens very often which such programs, nothing worked
as expected. After pressing the "Connect"-button a small window came up
saying "No VISA found on USB or TCPIP -Enter resource name or cancel".
But what is meant by resource name ? the IP-Address, the Ident string
of the Instrument, the type number, the serial numer or what else ?
Unfortunately I could not find any installation instructions.
On the same PC the Rigol Ultra Sigma Software recognizes my instrument
correctly.
Somebody has an idea of what is going wrong here ?

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
After pressing the "Connect"-button a small window came up saying "No VISA found on USB or TCPIP -Enter resource name or cancel".
But what is meant by resource name ? the IP-Address, the Ident string of the Instrument, the type number, the serial numer or what else ?
Unfortunately I could not find any installation instructions.
That seems odd, seeing as how your exact question is answered in the first post of the thread, ~15 sentences down from the top.

BTW, this software was originally developed for the DS2000 series - it currently has only 2-channel support for the DS4000s - although a newer version is underway which will provide all 4 channels for DS4000s and DS1000Zs.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 06:09:21 am by marmad »

Offline manu

• Regular Contributor
Hello,
Thank you for the good work!
As I recently bought a DS1104Zs, I'm hoping that the support of this serie your software will be quickly available.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
My software will connect with the scope using either USB or TCPIP VISA resources. If you're planning to save many recorded frames, it's best to use USB (USB: ~2.5s = ~6s transfer time on TCPIP). The VISA resource locator is not coded with a sniffer for finding TCPIP connections - so it's default behavior is as follows:

Note: the new UltraVision scopes (unlike Rigol's earlier series) have a very handy SCPI command to perform a screen grab. But the data is always transmitted as an 800x480x24 bit file (~1.152MB), so it takes ~2.5 seconds to get it to the PC and save it (using USB).

That's about 450 kbyte/s, any ideas as to why it is so slow? I thought the point of gigabit ethernet and usb was that it would be faster than GPIB. ;D

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
;D Yes, there are many things I can't control from RUU - since the owner also has control over the DSO from it's buttons. Two things trying to control the same device! But one problem with Rigol SCPI implementation is that it's missing a way for the DSO to communicate 'at' the software (like an interrupt - or a button press). It's a simple one-way protocol - you send a command to the scope and it sends back data. You could do much more with it if the scope could notify you directly of events - than the PC could be more easily programmed to act like added 'features' of the DSO without requiring human intervention, Right now I have to 'poll' the scope for changes - not very efficient (that's why the 'READ' buttons).

Bummer. That was indeed one thing I was trying to find in the DS1000Z programming guide. It would be pretty darn handy if you could tell the scope a mask of events (front panel buton press, what have you) and then have it send you a notification over ethernet or usb. That way you could track the user actions on the scope, and change the display in your application accordingly.

And it would be equally handy if you could emulate a front panel button press. That way you could programmatically control it as if you were pressing buttons on the panel.

Incidentally, is everything done by sending SCPI commands over USB? Or is there some extra rigol secret sauce to whatever is being sent over usb? Any scpi commands that were not in the programming guide?

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
EDIT: Just as a note to those thinking of using TCPIP:
Display frames per second received from the scope (optimum case):
Normal Mode:
Single Channel: USB = ~25FPS / TCPIP = ~13FPS
Dual Channel: USB = ~17FPS / TCPIP = ~7FPS
Delayed Sweep Mode:
Single Channel: USB = ~14FPS / TCPIP = ~7FPS
Dual Channel: USB = ~11FPS / TCPIP = ~5FPS

Is this the update rate you are currently getting? Because if so, that looks totally usable. :)

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
- but since I currently only own a DS2000 to test on, some of the more esoteric features will only be available for that series.
Is there any DS1000Z Owner out there that will help Marmad test the RUU Software?

Still looking for that?
Just hooked up my DS1000Z through Ethernet to explore that side also. Controlling all 4 channels would be nice.

Additionally (and I understand its a lot more work, as its a whole new thing) how about controlling the signal gen? Setting it on the device is a bit if a drag. Its pretty much the same -S signal gen as on the DS2000(A)-S (if I read the specs)

You probably already have it, but here is a link to the DS1000Z programming manual

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Still looking for that?
Just hooked up my DS1000Z through Ethernet to explore that side also. Controlling all 4 channels would be nice.

I've got a 4-channel version in the works - I'll hopefully get out a beta for DS4000/DS1000Z users to test in the next couple of weeks - swamped with other work at the moment.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
I've got a 4-channel version in the works - I'll hopefully get out a beta for DS4000/DS1000Z users to test in the next couple of weeks - swamped with other work at the moment.

Excellent; looking forward to that.

Thank you for your hard work.

Offline manu

• Regular Contributor
Still looking for that?

Very good news!
If you want some feedback, I'm ready to try beta software when its ready (I own a DS1104ZS) .

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
Hi, I have a DS1104Z, I'll be happy to perform some tests for this project.
Mauro

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
From this thread discussing access to hi-res data: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds2072-delivers-only-8bit-values-even-in-highres-mode/

Is it possible for RUU to save sample memory in a generic (.csv) format to be more easily processed by matlab/etc?

You've updated the .wfm file output format, which I found a matlab script for. So I'll give that another shot later.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline npelov

• Frequent Contributor
    • Microlab.info
Hi marmad,
I just tried this tool and it's very nice. It didn't auto recognize the scope - I had to copy/paste address even though it's the only one connected.

I have a request about the delayed sweep (zoom) mode. It's very hard to move around. By just turning the horizontal knob it takes forever. I know you can use the big spring knob to navigate, but I realized you can'd do that in recorded data playback mode. So if you can make navigation by clicking with mouse on the waveform it would be nice.

Offline Futterama

Hi marmad,

I just downloaded your tool and I can't get it to connect to my Rigol DS1104Z over LAN. Is this scope not supported yet? I just want to save print screens directly on the PC instead of moving a USB flash drive back and forth between scope and PC.

The scope uses DCHP and I tried using the following address in RUU: TCPIP::192.168.1.103::INSTR
The address is copied from the Rigol Ultra Sigma software.
I get the following error: "DSO not responding to query and/or command - RUU closing connection". Then I press OK and a few seconds later I get "DSO is not connected" 3 times.
The weirdest thing is that right after I click OK to connect, the RUU title includes my scope model so it must have some connection to the scope.

I get the same behavior when the scope is connected with USB, but this time I don't need to enter any address for it.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Is it possible for RUU to save sample memory in a generic (.csv) format to be more easily processed by matlab/etc?

Yep, coming next version: CSV and WFM saves of any sample or display memory.

I just tried this tool and it's very nice. It didn't auto recognize the scope - I had to copy/paste address even though it's the only one connected.

As mentioned in the first post of this thread, no sniffer for TCPIP. But next version will have an .ini file for saving of the IP address.

I have a request about the delayed sweep (zoom) mode. It's very hard to move around. By just turning the horizontal knob it takes forever. I know you can use the big spring knob to navigate, but I realized you can'd do that in recorded data playback mode. So if you can make navigation by clicking with mouse on the waveform it would be nice.

That's already been tested and added to the new version - plus you can drag a window to zoom into any area of the memory.

I just downloaded your tool and I can't get it to connect to my Rigol DS1104Z over LAN. Is this scope not supported yet?

Nope, next version.

Offline DD4DA

• Contributor
I have used the RRU 2.03 a couple of times and i find them out as very helpful. In Windows 8.x, the dialog boxex are displayed a litte bit to small, but this is just cosmetic. I am waiting to the next release and i am appreciate that you do all the work for us and spend so many time to get them finish - Thanks for all that.

Gerhard

Offline appie

Hello Marmad,
What is the status on the beta version of RUU?
If you need some more testers, I have a MSO4014 at my disposal.

Offline gwideman

• Contributor
For debugging new versions, clearly Marmad needs to implement remote access to RUU so he can download it to volunteer's machines, operate it remotely, and watch the results via webcam. 

Hey wait... you COULD pretty much do that with remote desktop, gotomypc or whatever.

Offline MatCat

• Frequent Contributor
Is there no support for DS1000Z scopes?  I tried it and it sees it but doesn't connect.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
Is there no support for DS1000Z scopes?  I tried it and it sees it but doesn't connect.

no support for the ds1000z yet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf