Author Topic: Software & tips for Rigol DS2072 ( DS2000 / DS4000 / DS6000 UltraVision DSOs )  (Read 383563 times)

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
@EV  ,  Hello  that pulse looks like your JW pulse generator, was that S/N 32 or 60,
The Pulse does show nice bandwith on your Rigol.
I still have to build my JW pulser.  my 1st SMD project.

Hi Teneyes, it is S/N 60. It has a little bigger amplitude (11.4 V) than S/N 32 (10.8 V), as you can see from the calibration paperwork given by free_electron.

Offline Evi

• Regular Contributor
Hello
my DS2072 saved screens on the flash as .trc files. Searching all inet I have no idea how to work with it.
Does anybody know what it is? Example in attachment.
Thanks in advance,
Vladimir

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I tried to save Display in Bitmap mode, when "Cursor Track" was on. Scope was in stop mode while saving. I got errors as in the pictures and picture was not saved. When using "Cursor Manual", picture was saved correctly.

I tested this and discovered that this is a bug (or somehow feature-dependent) problem with the Rigol (nothing to do with RUU): the DSO won't send a bitmap image of the screen if the Tracking Cursor Window is open.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
I tested this and discovered that this is a bug (or somehow feature-dependent) problem with the Rigol (nothing to do with RUU): the DSO won't send a bitmap image of the screen if the Tracking Cursor Window is open.

Should you add this to the bug list? It is not a big problem. The picture can be saved to usb stick directly with storage button.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Should you add this to the bug list? It is not a big problem. The picture can be saved to usb stick directly with storage button.

I think it's too tiny a problem to bother. I haven't noticed any other time that the Rigol wouldn't send the bitmap image, but if we start to find more - then we can put them together as a single item for the bug list.

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
I tried to save Display in Bitmap mode, when "Cursor Track" was on. Scope was in stop mode while saving. I got errors as in the pictures and picture was not saved. When using "Cursor Manual", picture was saved correctly.
Is there a valid reason not to capture a bitmap, as the cursors can be moving. Or it will slow DSO?

Is there a RUU program work around by forcing DSO into  "Cursor Manual".
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Is there a valid reason not to capture a bitmap, as the cursors can be moving. Or it will slow DSO?

I don't know; the Rigol just doesn't respond to a request for the screen image when the Tracking Window is displayed - and RUU stops waiting (times out).

Is there a RUU program work around?.

Save to USB stick  ;D

Offline roli_bark

• Regular Contributor
Hi MarMad,
I'm new here. Own a DS4014.
Your efforts are appreciated, and keeping the updates/additions alive is of great help.
One item on my wish-list, and a question for you, is whether the possibility of adding Serial Protocols decoders option to your package, is feasible ?
[e.g. - serial captured data off a SPI, I2C, UART, JTAG, etc,  is sent over automatically & decoded by the PC, rather than having the add-on option, had it on trial and it's gone after re-cal]

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:19:49 pm by roli_bark »

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
Hi MarMad,
 Is whether the possibility of adding Serial Protocols decoders option to your package, is feasible ?
[e.g. - serial captured data off a SPI, I2C, UART, JTAG, etc,  is sent over automatically & decoded by the PC, rather than having the add-on option, had it on trial and it's gone after re-cal]

@Roli_bark
  From Monty Pyphon's Holy Grail "I don't think he will be very keeeen. Uh, he's already got one, you see."

But I would support Marmad to add functions to transfer the decoded data to a PC   :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:02:21 am by Teneyes »
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
But I would support Marmad to add functions to transfer the decoded data to a PC   :)

Maybe FFT window and other maths also?  :) :-//

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Anyone ever tried the WFM Viewer at DS2xxx series ? Although it was designed for DS1052E.

Linky here -> Using Rigol DS1052E for spectrum analysis

Example screen :

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:59:40 am by BravoV »

Offline roli_bark

• Regular Contributor

Thanks, but transferring the already [scope made] decoded data to the PC won't help those who haven't got this Scope option. It still would be nice to have a PC SW make this decoding on raw stored serial data.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Anyone ever tried the WFM Viewer at DS2xxx series ? Although it was designed for DS1052E.
Yes, as mentioned in this post.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Hi MarMad,
Your efforts are appreciated, and keeping the updates/additions alive is of great help.
One item on my wish-list, and a question for you, is whether the possibility of adding Serial Protocols decoders option to your package, is feasible ?

Thanks for your comments.

Obviously, the DS2000/4000 don't transfer data fast enough for external software to do real-time decoding. In terms of decoding data after it's been captured, there are two points:
1) The main thrust of RUU was to try to add features which are missing from the UltraVision series (saving of recorded frames, markers in Zoom mode, etc). That doesn't mean I wouldn't consider it, but it wouldn't be high on the list of priorities.
2) There might be other software available already (or a MATLAB/LabVIEW script) which does decoding - and then it would be simply a matter of translation. I would explore that avenue first.

Offline roli_bark

• Regular Contributor
2) There might be other software available already (or a MATLAB/LabVIEW script) which does decoding - and then it would be simply a matter of translation. I would explore that avenue first.

Good idea. I know people who use Matlab to do highly complex (proprietary) protocol decoding. The I2C/SPI/UART (and maybe even JTAG) and the like, are relatively quite easy to decode.

Thanks anyways.

Offline eT0M

@roli_bark
You should have look to the sigrok.org project, they deal with exactly this topic. They support a whole bunch "data aquisition" tools (also the Rigol scopes) to do an offline signal decoding. I haven'd had the time yet to look deeper into their tools, but is seems quite useful. Maybe it helpful for you....

Offline roli_bark

• Regular Contributor
Thanks a lot, very interesting.

But for Rigol DSOs,  unfortunately the DS2000/DS4000 aren't supported (yet?)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:27:44 pm by roli_bark »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Is there a similar PC software for Agilent DSOX2000 series?

Why post this question in a topic visited by Rigol owners? Wouldn't it make more sense in an Agilent topic - or a new topic?

Offline MrsR

• Regular Contributor
Is there a similar PC software for Agilent DSOX2000 series?

Why post this question in a topic visited by Rigol owners? Wouldn't it make more sense in an Agilent topic - or a new topic?

AS AGILENT IS BEING MENTIONED, the software division at work Emailed me to tell me that an Agilent software will work with DS-2000 series scopes. He didn't know which version it is and will chase it down you need a plug&play USB driver. I did go and have a look at their Web Site but could not down load software I picked to try.

On another topic I set my 2072 on 56Mps but I could only record 15 frames is this a problem with my scope or me doing some thing wrong.
I have only had the Scope for a couple of days and it is different to my old scopes (setting up etc)
THANKS GUYS
Rachael :-+

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
On another topic I set my 2072 on 56Mps but I could only record 15 frames is this a problem with my scope or me doing some thing wrong.
I have only had the Scope for a couple of days and it is different to my old scopes (setting up etc)
THANKS GUYS
Rachael :-+

Hi Rachel - Are you sure about those numbers? Normally the Rigol uses in the neightborhood of ~114MB max (or 65000 frames max) for the recording. You don't set the memory depth for the amount of frames (or segments) that you want; instead, you set it for the size you want each frame to be - and the DSO figures out the maximum number you can have. Then you can set the amount of frames you want from 1 to the maximum.

So the memory depth / frames ratio is:
56MPts = 2 frames
28MPts =  2 frames
14MPts =  7 frames
7MPts =  7 frames
5.6MPts =  15 frames *
2.8MPts =  31 frames *
1.4MPts =  63 frames *
700kPts =  63 frames
560kPts = 127 frames
280kPts = 254 frames *
140kPts = 508 frames *
70kPts = 508 frames
56kPts = 2032 frames
28kPts = 4064 frames *
14kPts = 8128 frames *
7kPts = 8128 frames
5.6kPts = 16256 frames
2.8kPts = 32512 frames *
1.4kPts = 65000 frames *
< 1.4kPts = 65000 frames

bold = AUTO memory depth setting only
* = next lowest frame amount with 2 channels

Mark
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:35:23 am by marmad »

Offline jamesb

• Regular Contributor
Holy crap this looks awesome!
Seriously impressive work here. I can't wait to get home and give this a shot!

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Hey everybody - just a quick update here:

I'm currently working on the next version of RUU - which, depending on time constraints, should be ready in the next couple of weeks. Rigol has fixed the DSO->PC memory transfer bug in the latest FW, so I'm revamping the file-saving routines so that all possible sample lengths or file formats can be saved more easily (and much faster) than by using a USB stick. Since Rigol has once again changed their new WFM format with this latest release, RUU will use the Rigol DS1000 format for WFM files (until documentation arrives for the newer format - then it will be selectable), which will allow us to use the files with software and scripts which have already been developed for the older version WFMs (such as dexter2048's great WFM Viewer - as mentioned above by BravoV).

Also, the new FW includes new (as-yet undocumented) SCPI commands to control the DSO - so I hope to include a new skin for the software for simple, full-control of the DSO from the PC (for DS2000 owners - to start  ;)):

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 01:16:34 pm by marmad »

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
Nice one mate, look forward to it.

Offline jamesb

• Regular Contributor
Man .. your work is impressive!
I can't wait to give this a whirl! Thanks a million for all of your effort - I'm not nearly talented enough to do what you've done so I sincerely appreciate your talents and effort.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf